GDI Heap Extender

youtube does not work: stops at 60%
That's something i can't ever catch. Can you provide link you're viewing, browser / Flash version you use, DrWatson log?

Ok, IE6 SP1 + Maximus Decim IE6SP1 Component Update 2.7, Flash v9.0.246.0, Attached Dr watson log.

Youtube links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ySmnxy29Q

I hope this is enough.

Bye.

Mcv'93

watson.ZIP

Same issue as with Alpha3+ here, running winamp.exe for instance causes a chain of GDI.exe crashes in many other applications and this is a fresh reinstall as well. Seems like they're all linked in some way... am I really the only one having so much difficulty with the GDIex? -.-'

Watson logs included.

Can't reproduce no matter what I try. It may be due to my VM...

Can anyone confirm?

Hello?

I tried Beta1 with youtube using the links provided by 'mcv93us' and didn't have the 60% load issue at all. However, upon checking the 'about' page for my shockwave version, IEXPLORE suddenly crashed in GDI.EXE and affected apps had the same issue thereafter (winoldap,winamp,notepad,psp7,trillian,etc).

DRWATSON.rar

Edited by Chozo4

youtube does not work: stops at 60%
That's something i can't ever catch. Can you provide link you're viewing, browser / Flash version you use, DrWatson log?

Ok, IE6 SP1 + Maximus Decim IE6SP1 Component Update 2.7, Flash v9.0.246.0, Attached Dr watson log.

Youtube links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ySmnxy29Q

I can play those three videos okay right through.

In addition to the software above, I have Revolutions Pack 9.1.0, KernelEx 4.0 Final, and Flash Player 10.0.32.18 (instead of 9.0.246.0).

I'm using GDI Heap Extender Beta 1.

I confirm GDI crahes and other conclusions of Chozo4
Since you didn't have crashes at alpha 3, it makes me think it's not really changes at fault. This memory corruption (?) is triggered by something common between your systems.

To make sure it's not really Alpha 3 changes at fault, please re-download

http://tihiy.ahanix.org/rpXbeta1.zip

and specify this setting in \windows\uberskin.ini:

[beta]

Chozo4=1

This will undo meaningful Alpha 3 changes.

Since you didn't have crashes at alpha 3, it makes me think it's not really changes at fault. This memory corruption (?) is triggered by something common between your systems.

To make sure it's not really Alpha 3 changes at fault, please re-download

http://tihiy.ahanix.org/rpXbeta1.zip

and specify this setting in \windows\uberskin.ini:

[beta]

Chozo4=1

This will undo meaningful Alpha 3 changes.

Created an uberskin.ini with those settings and installed again, still no joy. Same GDI issue here which pulls the 'meaningless' changes out of the picture as being the probable culprit. I'm really scratching my head on this one, alpha2 had no issues for me. =\

Edited by Chozo4

Beta1 + Simplified Chinese Win98SE + KernelEx 4.0 Final

Used for 3 days (11-12 hours a day). So far it seems very stable :thumbup (though Kernel Task Manager often says "System appears unstable"). No problem with YouTube in IE

When will the shutdown problem be fixed?

I should have mentioned before in my latest post that rpXbeta1 test results referred to 98SE KEX based K7S41GX mobo ( my second PC)Yesterday I did the rpXbeta1 test once more according to the suggestion posted above (enhanced uberskin.ini)

The result was cascade of GDI faults more than I found installing first rpXalpha3 previously.On the other hand 98SE KEX ( K7S5A) with rpXbeta1, I am writing this post now works much more stable without GDI crashes.

DRWATSON.7z

GDI Heap Extender Beta 1 Testing

GDI Heap Extender - Testing Beta0

On one occasion, after several minutes of switching between tabs, the icons, tabs and other smaller graphics became corrupted. Icons on the Desktop were masked against random bits of web page graphics.

On this same occasion, there was noticible sluggishness even when the apps were closed.

However, I have not been able to reproduce this after a restart.

Generally stable. No problems with restarts. Haven't tried a shutdown.

While testing Beta 0 refresh, I've again seen the identical problem above, also in Firefox, although 3.5.2 now.

This time, there was only one tab while listing a large number of files on sourceforge.net.

No apparent issues in Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and other apps.

I have done some shutdowns now, and have once seen a really cool shutdown crash!

With Beta 0 refresh, Windows 98SE seems faster - perhaps my imagination?

Firstly Tihiy, I'm very sorry for misleading you with the Firefox problem. :blushing:

I've found that the exact same problem occurs with GDI Heap Extender disabled...

So, it would appear that this particular problem I have is unrelated to GDI Heap Extender.

That being said, Beta 1 is really stable!

Good work Tihiy!

Test results with Beta 1 (basically the same as Beta 0):

Testing with Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Firefox 3.5.2 using the following sites concurrently:

(note that this list differs slightly to previous testing in that I've swapped ibm.com for epson.com due to some issues I was having with ibm.com)

microsoft.com - msfn.org - symantec.com - avast.com - adobe.com - lenovo.com - amazon.com - ebay.com - mozilla.com - creative.com - epson.com

Without GDI Heap Extender

IE: starting GDI: 97 - during test: 20 - after closing: 90 :}

FF: starting GDI: 97 - during test: 79 - after closing: 97

With GDI Heap Extender Beta 1

IE: starting GDI: 98 - during test: 45 - after closing: 98

FF: starting GDI: 98 - during test: 84 - after closing: 98

One point to note, is that without GDI Heap Extender, IE does not relinquish all of it's GDI resources.

This problem is solved while using GDI Heap Extender :)

Also, with GDI Heap Extender enabled, the free system GDI is slighty higher.

One point to note, is that without GDI Heap Extender, IE does not relinquish all of it's GDI resources.

This problem is solved while using GDI Heap Extender

Note, that functionality was achieved with RP9 GDI salvation. It was reimplemented since Alpha 2 afaik.

Okay, i'm preparing [last?] beta with all unpossible fixes which should cure Chozo4/supem problems.

Then USER Heap Extender alphas will roll, if everything goes as planned.

Beta 1 installs on top of latest RP9 (RP9.1.0) and replaces existing RP9 "GDI Salvation" techologies.

Extract zip somewhere, right-click on .inf file and select "Install".

Does this beta require RP9 or any of the alpha versions to be installed or is it completely self contained?