Weird keyboard behaviour

Octopuss

I got a problem I don't understand at all.

Ever since I started using W7, no matter what build, I can't seem to be able normally type certain (well, only a few) special chars, namely " ' `

Only happens with EN keyboard layout.

To be more specific, I can't type these chars alone. I either have to press the key twice (which results in two chars showing up) or press anything else right after that. It is completely weird and I don't have the slightest idea what's going on.

Anyone else saw this?

I'm not expert but as far as I know, but Czech and Slovakian keyboard/layouts don't have support for qwerty. This will result in many things such as on Computers, holding Ctrl+Alt (or Alt gr) or Shift is needed to get these special chars. I know that in both countries you both have to use the numpad to insert numbers wears on qwerty you use the "standard" ones, or enabling numlock which enables the use of the numpad, rather than directional keys.

The use of " }{ () etc varies by countries using qwerty, for example in Sweden we have 3 extra keys for åäö which in this case is used as other special key commands in the US/UK. If your on a Windows OS, starting the on-screen keyboard app is an easy way to learn the commands used to get these special chars or switching keyboard, whichever comes first.

OT, but not much, but almost completely unhelpful :ph34r: , I do have a friend that has that exact behaviour on a Windows XP (SP2) with IT keyboard.

But on that PC it only happens in some apps, not, say, in notepad or in the Command Prompt.

We never went all the way to try finding and troubleshoot the problem. :(

jaclaz

I got a problem I don't understand at all.

Ever since I started using W7, no matter what build, I can't seem to be able normally type certain (well, only a few) special chars, namely " ' `

Only happens with EN keyboard layout.

To be more specific, I can't type these chars alone. I either have to press the key twice (which results in two chars showing up) or press anything else right after that. It is completely weird and I don't have the slightest idea what's going on.

Anyone else saw this?

Yes. You're using the wrong keyboard selection. There is more than one that will show as "EN". I described the solution for this problem, for Windows XP, in this post. Since you're using Win 7, the exact details of how to solve it might differ somewhat, but I'm sure it'll solve your problem. Good luck!