Sorry, have to leave it another day

W3bbo

Thanks for the updates W3bbo. I just want to confirm from your post in the beta 3 announcement thread, the final which you have been trying to release for the last few days WILL support Windows Server 2003, is this correct? I'm currently running Windows Server 2003 R2 with SP2 & it's quite ugly without XPize. Using the Luna Element theme helps, but I definitely need XPize! Thanks & best wishes.

Arrrghhh! I was so close to releasing it by now.

I've discovered a few more bugs in the framework that really need to fix before I can release this as a polished final product. They're not big bugs(...)

bolded and quoted :P

so, xpize final version is coming in a few hours?

It was...

That is what W3bbo's last comment says, but there could always be more issues that pop up. W3bbo already seems to be pulling some late nights trying to get this out for us.

Yep. Though that's compensated by me consistently waking up at midday thesedays.

Thanks for the updates W3bbo. I just want to confirm from your post in the beta 3 announcement thread, the final which you have been trying to release for the last few days WILL support Windows Server 2003, is this correct? I'm currently running Windows Server 2003 R2 with SP2 & it's quite ugly without XPize. Using the Luna Element theme helps, but I definitely need XPize! Thanks & best wishes.

xpize 5 Release 4, aka xpize 5 Final Release (unless there's a showstopper bug someone finds) will support the following operating systems for local installation and CD Image "I386/AMD64" patching:

• Windows XP (all editions) x86 SP3
  • Windows XP Professional x64 SP2
  • Windows Server 2003 (all editions, incl R2) x86 SP2
  • Windows Server 2003 (all editions, incl R2) x64 SP2

...which is basically the entire NT5.1 and NT5.2 operating system family (spare the very rare IA64 editions of Windows XP and Server 2003 which no-one uses; and don't confuse IA64 with AMD64 (aka "x64") as the two are very different animals).

There is feature parity accross all platforms when installed locally: your UxTheme.dll file will be patched regardless of operating system. However patching a CD image does not give you everything you'd get by installing locally (although uxtheme is still patched and custom visual styles installed along with the new wallpapers and screensavers). Things that wouldn't be installed is TaskswitchXP, the new bootscreen, file type icons, and the ability to uninstall.

That is what W3bbo's last comment says, but there could always be more issues that pop up. W3bbo already seems to be pulling some late nights trying to get this out for us.

ok...i asked because "xpize 5 Release 4 Tomorrow" topic has no download link...

is the final version coming today or the release 4?

Release 4 will be the final version. And I apologize for not keeping to the deadline I set myself, I'm terrible at things like that (so God help me when it comes to my degree course's final year project).

Here's a little status report:

It's pretty much complete as it is. I could release it right now and you'd all be very happy with it. But I'm not going to release it because there's still a few issues that need solving before it's polished enough. These are things like the program not properly validating user input in a few areas, and the program not unlocking certain files when it should. These are all minor issues, and they all add up to a period of time needed to fix it.

Right now most of the issues left to fix actually apply to Windows Vista. Y'see... when you run xpize 5 on Vista it will still allow you to patch a CD, just not to install it locally. So I have to get the UI right on Vista too (which has different human interface guidelines too).

So I'm sorry for letting you down with my earlier promises, but just bear with me and we'll see this through.

If you'd like a date that I can certainly keep by (and so you'll be pleasently surprised when I release it before then) I'll give you this Friday as an uppper-bound deadline, but in reality I'm aiming for Wednesday, but I don't want to promise it.

Oh, and xpize 5 Release 4 weighs in at just under 17MB (which is a good megabyte smaller than xpize 5 Beta 3) yet contains more features and stuff.

Edited by W3bbo

What a pity that your sites do not have an RSS. I really had only single one among dozens of projects that I keep an eye on until now that I had to visit manually to check is it still alive and whether it has some news. Yours is second. That is sad. Though, surely, I understand the reasons.

But for me, really, this is the first request except XPize 5 itself, of course.

Good luck in all your deals!

What a pity that your sites do not have an RSS. I really had only single one among dozens of projects that I keep an eye on until now that I had to visit manually to check is it still alive and whether it has some news. Yours is second. That is sad. Though, surely, I understand the reasons.

But for me, really, this is the first request except XPize 5 itself, of course.

Good luck in all your deals!

I only update the sites like twice a month so it really isn't worth it. Also, the news is actually just an SSI include, there's no real CMS which means I'd have to manually update the RSS too.

I did consider switching to Wordpress, but it's overkill.

Status Update:

There's a minor bug that's been irritating me for a while now: it's basically where it doesn't give accurate reporting about the extraction of files from an LZMA-compressed Tarball (*.tar.lzma files, the current format of *.anop files). I don't expect it'll take me long to fix.

The problem with patching Shell32.dll on non-English versions of Windows where you get errors if it goes over 20MB, so I'll modify it so it doesn't do 128x128 icons if the final size is over 20MB. This will take longer to implement, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

The latest batch of testing on XPx86 and XPx64 show everything to be in order. I really think I can release it tonight.

I've fixed the LZMA Tarball issue and just thinking how to proceed on the Shell32.dll problem.

I'm also working on a screencast showing how to do the CD Image ("I386") thing since xpize no-longer makes the ISO for you (sorry about that).

I've fixed the LZMA Tarball issue and just thinking how to proceed on the Shell32.dll problem.

I'm also working on a screencast showing how to do the CD Image ("I386") thing since xpize no-longer makes the ISO for you (sorry about that).

I didn't know that XPize ever created ISOs.

Will there be a release that can integrate as a hotfix like in the original XPize versions? Or has that method long since been abandoned?