New Winzip for .zipx files

frogman

They did that for a reason... I can't remember what it was but if they were telling the truth it was a rather fundamental reason.

Did what for a reason?

:wacko:

Dropped 9x, and without even adding .zipx browsing! :P

jaclaz

Yeah, but who?

The Mozilla developers, of course! :yes:

They did it because they hate Win9x. There's nothing more to it. Their excuse: it makes the code cleaner! Not a good excuse, considering that most of their source code is a mess, regardless of Win9x support.

They already had emulation of Unicode API, and most of the API calls that Cairo added aren't even used (like SetWorldTransform).

They did it because they hate Win9x. There's nothing more to it. Their excuse: it makes the code cleaner! Not a good excuse, considering that most of their source code is a mess, regardless of Win9x support.

They already had emulation of Unicode API, and most of the API calls that Cairo added aren't even used (like SetWorldTransform).

I see you use windows 95, can I ask what you intend do do when Avast eventually drops support?

I'm not going to do anything when Avast drops support, as I don't use an anti-virus program.

I take it you go on-line, so you just don't bother with AV protection, and just take a chance that you don't get a virus?

Sorry for asking, but it's that I may be doing something similar, and I want to know what it's like from someone that doesn't use an anti-virus program, but that still goes on the internet to browse etc.

You use 95 right?

I get slated on other forums for using 98. but I do so for the stability and ease of use.

There's a lot more to it than 'just taking a chance' but I certainly can't bothered explaining except I'll say it's proactive defense...

I appreciate your short reply, but the question was directed at BenoitRen, and I still would like to hear his answer.

Yes, I use Windows 95.

I use an updated web browser and a mail client that doesn't automatically load remote content. I don't open untrusted attachments. I only download programs from trusted sources, not downloading anything through unrequested pop-ups. Needless to say, I don't use P2P.

I also don't have Flash installed, removing a possible attack vector (there's a Flash exploit currently in the wild, and no patched version available, but I'm immune on this PC).

This approach has served me well for many years.