Cleartype - do you like it?

ripken204

Do you like cleartype?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like cleartype?

• Yes
    • No

good to know how it works.

that "smooth" effect is what i don't like though.

the "hard" lines are what i do like.

and i can't notice any "jaggies" at 1920x1200.

i guess it may come down to personal preference or maybe our perception.

Edited by ripken204

i guess it may come down to personal preference or maybe our perception.

That's what I was saying at the beginning. 94% prefer ClearType, but the others either don't care (1%) or don't like it (5%). Looks like you fall in that 5%.

Some people prefer aliased fonts, nothing wrong with that. ClearType looks much better IMO, a LOT easier to read, even at 1920x1200 on a 24" LCD.

good to know how it works.

that "smooth" effect is what i don't like though.

the "hard" lines are what i do like.

and i can't notice any "jaggies" at 1920x1200.

Same here. The smoothing is bulls*** to my eyes. Either cleartype never does it the way I would like it to, or I prefer hard lines over soft edges. Also, NOT being able to see where it goes wrong in fonts would be my preference over software regulated changes in displaying of them. My eyes can handle a jaggie here or there just fine, thank you very much. ;-)

And no, it does not make a difference what screen I see it on. I have owned about 10 different ones, and my latest favorite screen is a NEC 26 inch LCD. My eyes always notice cleartype-effects as something distracting and unwanted. Will not change for me ever, either.

I don't feel that cleartype makes fonts sharper... to me it seems to make them slightly 'fuzzy'. The only thing I think Cleartype really solves well is jaggies in italicised fonts - it totally eliminates them. Everything else just looks smoothed down and sometimes it makes text 'sink into the page' more.

• 2 months later...

I absolutely ******* hate ClearType.

For something that was designed to make text look better on TFTs/LCDs, it's **** poor. It looks like crap.

Even more to my annoyance, the latest version of Windows Live Messenger forces the use of ClearType and it cannot be turned off (even though it can be turned off for the general OS and for IE)

Ah well, that's another MS program I've ditched in favour for a superior 3rd-party alternative.

• 6 months later...
and i have 24" lcds. even on my 1680x1050 15.4" laptop screen it looks horrible.

Windows 7, Benq E2200HD D-SUB & it's good, perfect. They didn't have the monitor w/the digital out and I was concerned; but it still turned out 0k. ClearType, FTW. ;):)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have Cleartype turned on for LCD monitors, and off for CRTs. Most people who thinks it looks blurry on LCDs might have it improperly configured; some monitors have the pixels in the opposite order eg. Blue-Green-Red instead of the normal Red-Green-Blue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

As I wrote earlier: Cleartype is post-processing of fonts that aren't good to begin with (or they wouldn't require cleartype). It's not something you should rely on, as it is not a reliable standard.

Font smoothing is ugly blurring in my eyes. Cleartype never does it the way it should be done, or I prefer hard lines over soft edges. Also, NOT being able to see where it goes wrong in fonts would be my preference over software regulated changes in displaying them.

As I wrote earlier: Cleartype is post-processing of fonts that aren't good to begin with (or they wouldn't require cleartype). It's not something you should rely on, as it is not a reliable standard.

Font smoothing is ugly blurring in my eyes. Cleartype never does it the way it should be done, or I prefer hard lines over soft edges. Also, NOT being able to see where it goes wrong in fonts would be my preference over software regulated changes in displaying them.

Whatever needs improving I couldn't do without Cleartype on my Samsung XL2370.