Error 2481: The UPS service is not configured correctly

Slasher

Hello,

So I made an unattended and tweaked Windows XP installation kit but the UPS service is not functioning, I get "Error 2481: The UPS service is not configured correctly" when I attempt to start it manually. I tried setting it to automatic, restarted Windows, nothing. Also the UPS is not detected at all. It worked fine with my previous Windows XP. Also I have the same UPS installed on more than 10 workstations at work and it was detected on all of them without problems. I can't even install the software that came with the UPS, giving me an error that it cannot find the UPS! By the way, the UPS is an APC Back-UPS.

I had another annoying problem after installation was finished, the Administrator account was set to autologon even though I configured in nLite NOT to do autologon. I had to search for the command to disable autologon.

Also I have another issue which might not be related to nLite (until I test this on another Windows XP on another PC I cannot be sure): I use an external USB to S-ATA connector to read an internal HDD. After I freshly installed nLite Windows I wanted to access the HDD as I did in my old Windows but I get a delay write failed, causing some directories to be unreadable (each time different directories!). I very much doubt that the HDD or that connector suddenly malfunctioned but again, I cannot be sure until I test it on another PC.

In order to give all the potential helpers a starting point, I attached the .ini used to create my nLite Windows.

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by Slasher

Slasher, thanks for the Last Session - helps much. You have such broad and myriad problems that I suspect you have run nLite more than once against the same source. I see no hot fixes in your Last Session. Did you not include any or include them in another run? How is your UPS connected to your system - via USB? Do any other USB items work or not work? I have seen none of your symptoms before, but have seen many bizarre and varied symptoms caused by running nLite multiple times against the same source or using some other program to do part of the processing or starting with a source that someone else has run something against. BTW, I assume you are working on your home computer and just mentioned the work computers because they also have UPS setups. Please note that the nLite license only allows personal use and no business use. Here is the important part of my standard inculcation: Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

Yes, I've run nLite against the same modified (by nLite) source to do minor adjustments. I've tested each generated iso in a virtual environment several times just to make sure it works as it should. I didn't include any hotfixes. The UPS is connected to the PC via USB. USB seems to work fine at least with memory sticks but as I said in my original post I have some weird issues with my USB S-ATA connector with internal HDD attached. So I understand that I didn't make a tweak/setting in nLite that would cause this?

Oh and I didn't use nLite at my work place, we have a special deployment version here.

BTW what's wrong with this forum, I get the weirdest error messages while trying to add a reply, create topic etc. Is it because I use Firefox? This would be the first site that behaves abnormally in Firefox but works fine in IE.

Edited by Slasher

Slasher, I see nothing obvious with your Last Session that would yield your weird symptoms and suspect it is the multiple running of nLite. Please try starting with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders.

Last weekend major changes were made to the forum and all of us have been having problems. Please see this thread. Seems to be better today and I don't think it is your browser, although I run IE.

Please let us hear how things are going. Enjoy, John.