Hotfix folder?

So, I want to make a slim install CD of my XP X64, the one I have installed is updated with everything except IE8 and Windows Search thingie. I wanted to do this by using nLite so that I can incorporate some drivers for my hardware, the updates/hotfixes, remove some of the things I don't use on this PC like printers and such.

Now I'd like to know where Windows saves all the KB******.msi files so that I can use them in the build I'm making. I'm hoping that I don't have to go through the hassle of downloading them one by one but if that's the case, where do I find a complete list of the updates all in one place?

Look in %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download. They will be named something like baff02dbef9e7dc0a509bcae6d8f27e378b407a8. If you look at your WindowsUpdate.log, you might find and entry corresponding to that name. Rename it to exe if so. I don't think you will find all of them but it's a start.

I don't have a list for x64 but you can search for the filenames in the list below and find the bulletin. See if the bulletin applies to x64.

http://windowsx.blogspot.com/2009/06/windo...ty-updates.html <-- work in progress.

Edited by -X-

Looked through the folder but to no avail, there're no installers there that I can use for my slim edition :(.

The link you provided is for Windows xp SP3 and not for xp X64 though but good ideas that I haven't thought of anyway.

So another question, can I install XP X64 again, download updates automatically and before I install them copy them to another drive for later use?

I know it's wrong of me to ask a new question in the middle of a post and I apologize for it beforehand.

Looked through the folder but to no avail, there're no installers there that I can use for my slim edition :(.
There wont be installers that you see right away. Did you see any files with a long alphanumeric name and no extension?
The link you provided is for Windows xp SP3 and not for xp X64 though but good ideas that I haven't thought of anyway.
Yes but take for instance this...

WindowsXP-KB923561-x86-ENU.exe Vulnerabilities in WordPad and Office Text Converters Could Allow Remote Code Execution

If you click the link or search for WindowsXP-KB923561-x86-ENU.exe you get a page with this...

File Name: WindowsXP-KB923561-x86-ENU.exe

Version: 923561

Security Bulletins: MS09-010

Knowledge Base (KB) Articles: KB923561

Date Published: 4/13/2009

Click on the MS09-10 and you get the bulletin page...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS09-010.mspx

One there you will see Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2 (KB923561).

You click that link and you download the hotfix for x64.

So another question, can I install XP X64 again, download updates automatically and before I install them copy them to another drive for later use?
Well first you should slipstream SP2. One you install and do the updates, look in that %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Again they will just be a long alphanumeric filename that you need to decipher by looking through WindowsUpdate.log. There may be some that you cant retrieve that way.

There's no guarantee but I may finish that page in a few days and add x64 links. Perhaps wait and see if I do it and just click a link to download the hotfixes.

Edited by -X-

post-251465-1247526601_thumb.jpg

That's what I see in the .../SoftwareDistribution/download folder I've looked for the numbers (find/F3 and manually) in the WindowsUpdate.log but I can't find them anywhere and I know that there are more than 7 updates I've installed. The bullitin thingie I know about and I had thought about just googling all the KB****** numbers in the WindowsUpdate.log so that I could download them one by one but hoped there was an easier way.

Anyway, I think I'll wait a bit more and see what you come up with and if it doesn't help me, I'll start downloading all the updates manually. When done, if you want them so you can post them somewhere, I'll be happy to send them/upload them so you can download them although I'm not sure I'll get them all.

Edited by UnderMiner

Not much there. I guess they get purged.

That page is almost done except for x64. The link is in my signature now because I see this question every now and then.

There is no need to upload them somewhere since Microsoft is already hosting them. What I do is not use windows update but read the monthly bulletins and download the hotfixes from there. Each month a few updates get added to a folder I keep my hotfixes in.

This is the hard way:

Make a clean install with untouched XP x64, open WU and click every single

Update on "More information". You`ll reach the Download of any Update,

download it manually and integrate it with nLite on a new, fresh run.

This is the easy way:

Go to RyanVM (see first 3 Threads): http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewforum.php?...0ae8124b40d51cd

Edited by g-force

@ g-force It's not that hard once you're caught up. Each month, just add a few to your hotfix collection. I prefer doing it myself instead of relying on a 3rd party that usually adds unneeded items.

@UnderMiner, now that g-force enlightened me to that list, I don't think I'll make an x64 one. I really don't have the means to make sure it's 100% accurate since I don't have a 64 bit CPU.

You can download 5eraph's all-in-one addon or if you want a do-it-yourselfer, look at his high-priority updates here: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6400

You will have to click the link in the KB article that says "IT professionals". On the IT professionals page there will be the link to the hotfix download page.

@ g-force It's not that hard once you're caught up. Each month, just add a few to your hotfix collection.

That`s right - once you have started like this you only need to add the new hotfixes

in your "My_Hotfixes"-Folder and keep your list up-to-date.

But if you start NOW right from scratch it would be a lot of work - but only this time. ;)

• 4 months later...

How about this folder? It's contents are hidden, but I have over 450MB worth of 'updates'.

C:\Windows\$hf_mig$\

Also there are hotfix uninstallers in the folders BELOW this one, not 'in' it.

@ g-force It's not that hard once you're caught up. Each month, just add a few to your hotfix collection.

That`s right - once you have started like this you only need to add the new hotfixes

in your "My_Hotfixes"-Folder and keep your list up-to-date.

But if you start NOW right from scratch it would be a lot of work - but only this time. ;)