Booting nLite Images from a Flash Drive

Tralbry

Newbie here. How new? I am 20 seconds old in this forum.

Anyway, I've been building ISO Images with nLite and have two basic questions. Probably these have been answered 100 times befoe but I can't fnd the answers.

1. I have a 4GB Kingston Thumb Drive and want to make it a bootable image device. The PCs will usually have a blank hard disk without an OS. My image is too big to fit on a standard CD and I prefer a Flash Drive solution over Network ghosting. I need this on various computers of different ages and brands and yes I know the PC BIOS has to support USB as a boot device. Many of our PCs don't have DVD players so I can't burn just to DVD. I realize that there are dozens of links out there about creating booting flash drives. That's the problem. Without wading through them all is there one that someone here has used successfully with nLite images? Is there a simple software akin to "Sugar on a Stick" to do this?

2. In nlite, why can't I get rid of old applications? I created some test ISOs that included AVG 7.5, Open Office, VLAN and so on and now whenever I create a new image, even though I've removed those apps from the nLite screen specifying add-ons they keep coming back in the final ISO! This seems like a huge bug to me that you appear to be removing an add-on but actually it's still embedded there. Could someone tell me the work-around to ditch these apps so I can shrink my ISO a bit?

1) Check the "Instal XP from USB" sub forum, that's what you want.

2) nLite is only doing what you tell it to do. You add a software, it adds it. Next, you don't add it, ... it won't remove it. There is no "remove non standard WindowsXP component" feature in nLite. You are always supposed to start with a fresh set of files.

We are a non-profit distributing donated PCs to low-income individuals for their personal use. Not a business. I think we're okay license-wise, no?

Tralbry,
Many of our PCs
Please notice that the nLite license that you agreed to when you installed it, does not allow business use, only personal use. Enjoy, John.

Thanks. Didn't know there was such a forum.

1) Check the "Instal XP from USB" sub forum, that's what you want.

2) nLite is only doing what you tell it to do. You add a software, it adds it. Next, you don't add it, ... it won't remove it. There is no "remove non standard WindowsXP component" feature in nLite. You are always supposed to start with a fresh set of files.