Jim624

HP NX9010 Business Notebook

I just bought the following 512MB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR PC2700 memory module

CT650012

* Module Size: 512MB

* Package: 200-pin SODIMM

* Feature: DDR PC2700

* Specs: DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V

Old memory does work in both slots. After installing the new RAM it powered up but would not post.....in

other words NOTHING appears on the screen,,,, the hard drive is not accessing....no beeps.....no boot

messages.....canot get into setup because the bios is password protected and I do not know the password....the

only thing I can do is change the boot order.

I am pretty tech savvy, I have built my own computers and worked on them for years....so I DO know how to

install RAM.

The old 256MB stick still works in the machine. So I tried leaving it there and installing one of the 512

with it....it still only recognizes the 256.

I have been all over the internet looking at tech forums and reading FAQ's and I have gotten answers that are

completely opposite of each other. One site said that you cannot replace the RAM in this machine you have to

have a new MB. Another said that "just stick it in and it will fire right up" , Another said that I have to

get into the BIOS and change the settings so it will recognize the RAM upgrade (never heard of that one

before) howeverthe BIOS is password protected which brings up a whole new problem, because we have no idea

what the password is. Any help ?

The best i can say is try looking for PC2100 RAM instead of PC2700. The difference is that PC2700 runs at 333mhz, PC2100 runs at 266mhz.

Normally, you'd expect the RAM to just run at the lower frequency and still work, but it's possible that it wont, laptops are different from desktops.