Startup issue and installation issue

Hi I actually made a full Nlite CD and was using a DVD to format my office computers but then I realized that USB could make the process much faster. So I followed the whole procedure and made a usb that can install xp but the problem is that I am installing them on Dell Systems so I got the blue screen error and I got that fixed then I got another whole problem: after the part of choosing how to format the partition, setup starts copying the files in BSOD before restarting. At that point the files start copying but some dll and sys files dont copy over and give an error. and when i click on retry it doesnt work so i have to hit ESC to skip the files and then that in turn ruins the remaining process. So please can some one help?

In fact sorry the error was "cannot copy file" when setup copies files in BSOD before restarting.

Files:

xptht27D.jpg

xptht28D.jpg

xptht29D.jpg

xptht30D.jpg

xptht31D.jpg

xptht34D.jpg

wmvdecod.dll

wmvencod.dll

wmvxencod.dll

wow32.dll

wpabaln.exe

wpd_ci.dll

wmvds32.ax

These are the files that give the error cannot copy file and when i try again it doesnt work so I have to press ESC to skip. Then after the restart my symantec endpoint protection doesnt get installed as it does when installed from the cd, the error is "CRC failed" when 7-zip is extracting the .cab file, and vizio viewer also doesnt get installed.

Are these the only files Setup is throwing error about?

Please attach your txtsetup.sif file on USB stick.

As for the CRC error- it rather seems corrupted file because of file download or file copy operation. Should have nothing to do with installing it from USB.

As for Visio Viewer- is there any error? How is it installed, using what method, what entries in winnt.sif or wherever?

ilko_t yup those are the only files but sorry im new with the install xp from usb method so i was wondering what u meant by attach the txtsetup.siff file on usb stick because the file is already on the usb stick or did you want me to post whats in the file txtsetup.siff? :unsure: . I can add vizio viewer to the wpi programs but I cannot add symantec endpoint protection cuz symantec endpoint protection takes complete use of the windows installer and doesnt allow any remaining applications on the wpi programs list to get installed. I have tried changing the order of the wpi programs list script but still wont help cuz if i put symantec at the bottom of the list, office takes use of the msi installler and doesnt allow it to install and if I put office before symantec it takes to long for the office 2007 installation process to start so windows installer starts installing symantec and then an error pops up saying "The windows installer cannot install two applications simultaneously". The thing is that regarding the wpi process i did make a thread for it in th appropriate section on this site and the only solution was to install symantec as an addon that was what I did when I was using the Nlite CD. It worked and now it is giving the CRC error so I cannot figure out why it stopped working.

cdob The compressed .cab file that I made for symantec endpoint protection worked when I added it to the Nlite CD, i cannot figure out why i got that error now. Its really annoying not able to migrate from DVD to USB cuz i had made the perfect image using nlite but now that Im trying to move to USB method its all going wrong !

what u meant by attach the txtsetup.siff file on usb stick
Zip it and attach it here with your next post, forum has an option to attach files to posts, use POST REPLY button and you will see the options.

As for the CRC error- triple check if file on the USB stick is OK, there must be something wrong either with the file, or with the hardware as cdob mentioned, the most of the compression programs have an option to test archives.

If it is broken- just replace the file to the USB stick with healthy(checked) one.

Did you perform both installs- from CD and from USB on the same machine?

Do you have a chanced to try with another USB stick?

ilko_t I have definitely been trying it on the same machine with usb and CD. Actually what has been happening is that I usually test the USB first, it keeps failing and I end up using the CD. I only have two 2GB Kingston Traveler USB sticks that I can use. I have tried replacing the setup file of symantec from the original image and realized that for some reason the USB Multiboot method doesn't copy it over correctly so i just did it myself that issue seems to be fixed. :thumbup

None of the tools in this subforum use their "proprietary" way of copying files, they all use windows commands/API to do that. So we cannot talk about correct/incorrect way of copying.

What happened with the missing files? Did you get past those errors?

I don't see anything strange in txtsetup.sif regarding the missing files. Did you get past the errors about those files?

Do you have an antivirus program turned on while preparing USB stick?

ilko_t I didn't get those past those errors. I tested the usb with every pc but still leads to the same problem. My NLITE CD has the driver pack for 5 different models of Dell Optiplex. It is a MASTER CD. I have Symantec Endpoint Protection turned on.

Edited by timecatcher_3

Are those files present in ~LS folder on USB stick? Search for wow32.dll and wow32.dl_ and so on, as some of them may be compressed. Or simply do not type the extension when searching.

What subfolder of ~LS are they in if present?

Try replacing them manually from your XP source.

Turn off AV protection while preparing the stick.