Running Windows 98 or Me on newer system...advice?

amocanu

Hello everyone,

I would like to setup dualbooting with Windows 98 or Windows ME and Windows XP.

My system specs are:

athlon x2 4200+ processor, 3Gb RAM, Geforce 8500 GT (512 Mb video RAM) video card and a 232 Gb SATA hard drive

I have read some of the topics around here about installing these operating systems on newer computers but i still have some questions:

1. My Win XP and data partitions are below the 127 Gb limit, so the only available space would be somewhere above that. So will i be able to install win98/Me above the 127 Gb limit ? Is it possible to integrate the "127 Gb limit" patch into the installation files?

2. About the video card... I have seen the nvidia driver 82.69 here. If i add my video card to the ones already present in the inf file, would i encounter any problems?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by amocanu

Guest wsxedcrfv

The primary factor to consider is the motherboard (which you have not mentioned). Unless there are win-98 drivers for the important motherboard components, you will not get very far installing and running 98.

If your video card is PCIe, then most likely it will not give you anything other than 640x480x16 resolution in win-98. The fact that it has 512 mb ram may be a complete deal breaker.

If there is a win-98 driver for your SATA controller, then you won't have to worry about the 128/137 gb issue.

I would recommend that you format your XP side as FAT32, as there are quite a few benefits - one being able to access your XP system from a true DOS command prompt.