windows istaller problem

cmonkedo

*UPDATED* attached last session.ini

Hello everyone,

I have just updated my nlite install and now when I run through the setup and get to the desktop I cannot install any other software. I receive an error that the windows installer service could not be reached. I have done some reading and have tried the msicuu2 utility but that will not install either. I also do not have a remove option in add/remove programs, and the spunist.exe folder for installer 3.1 is missing. :realmad: I did some digging and the windows installer service is not listed in the services.msc I can install windows installer 4.5 but the issue remains. I am installing a lot of other updates and quite a few programs during the unattended install but the only things that are different are some windows updates. I dont know if other windows updates could cause this. But there is no errors during the unattended install. By the way it is xp home.

Thanks for all your help!

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by cmonkedo

cmonkedo, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

ok johnhc I attached the .ini to the original post. Oh and thanks for the amazingly fast response. One thing I am currently trying is to repeat the issue and then apply sp3 just to see if this is a possible fix to my screw up. I dont want to do this but in the interim I can still avoid having to install all my software and win updates after a full attended install. I will keep you posted.

Ok I have just tried the sp3 install and this did not fix the issue. I was wondering if the order in which I place the silent installs for the programs I want matters or if this could mess any installs up ie. windows installer? I will continue my crusade to fix this issue rather than chalking it up to the screw it pile and just making a new disc. Oh yeah I will continue to use this topic as a neat way to talk to myself. :thumbup

cmonkedo, I too seem to talk to myself a lot in these forums, just not intentionally. Why in the world do you have 150 updates? Wow, please start by integrating SP3 (am afraid you will need to start over to sort this out), then add the necessary updates. The RyanVM forum has Update Packs that do just that for you. I hope you will also consider a virtual system for testing. VMware Server, VirtualPC and Virtual Box are all free. Please look at the last two first, they are much smaller. Your Last Session reflects that you have removed nothing, so that is not a consideration. I suspect your various updates have stomped on each other. Why the Media Player 6, 9 and 11 updates? Settle on one media player (I use WMP11) and forget the rest. You also must install WMP11, since it is not included, in fact only one is included at one time. NLite now has boooogy's WMP11 Slipstreamer called internally. You just need to install the slipstreamer and place WMP11 installer and updates in the hot fix section. I noticed that some of the AddOns are currently down level - may be a good time to update. But if you do testing on a VM, then leave all of these out, integrate SP3, use the appropriate updates (Update Pack, perhaps), and see if your original problems are gone. Please be sure to follow the other advice in my first reply. Let us know how it is going. Enjoy, John.