Use explorer.exe from Vista?

amigafan

I've tempted to upgrade from XP to Windows 7, but I want to have as much of the classic look and feel as possible. I particularly want the classic start menu, and the old explorer layout would be nice. I tried to run explorer from XP, but it wouldn't launch. Would the Vista explorer work?

I don't know how conclusive it is, but I tried launching \Windows\explorer.exe from my Vista x64 partition whilst booted into Windows 7 x64, and it just throws error 0xc0000142 immediately - I had no intention of trying to replace any system/shell DLLs to test further.

Personally the taskbar in Windows 7 has really grown on me, and I no longer miss the quicklaunch bar.

If you've already tried XP's explorer, why don't you also try Vista's explorer and let us know if it works?

Well, I clearly have XP and Win7. Is it so hard to work out why I didn't try Vista?

And just cause I'm curious, what do you not like about 7's explorer that you like about Vista's?

I don't really like Vista's explorer, but it does have the classic startmenu.

I've tempted to upgrade from XP to Windows 7, but I want to have as much of the classic look and feel as possible. I particularly want the classic start menu, and the old explorer layout would be nice. I tried to run explorer from XP, but it wouldn't launch. Would the Vista explorer work?

It sounds to me that you are not ready for Windows 7. In my opinion the new explorer is cleaner since by default it only shows 4 items (libraries) as opposed to the start folder that many people is used to see. Also I don't know what is so good about the classic menu.

I have been using Windows 7 since January and will never go back to XP or even Vista.

Hi everyone,

Just to add my 2 cents worth. I was a died in the wool XP advocate until I downloaded and installed W7RC. I set it up as a dual boot with my beloved XP and after about a week of to and fro between the two operating systems have stayed with Windows 7 ever since. I have found none of the negatives associated with Vista and will be upgrading as soon as the retail version is available.

Cheers

@amigafan

See if this works for you:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2227/get-th...u-in-windows-7/

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-deskto...start-menu.html

@all

May I suggest that the scope of this topic is to help the OP to solve a problem (as opposed to commenting how the problem is a not-existing one or that suggesting he is doing a wrong thing)? :unsure:

We already have/had a similar topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=127177

jaclaz