What's the deal with browsers recently?

GrofLuigi

Quite the bump, vinifera.

Yep, 4/5 to 9/10 of this thread is to be considered obsolete.

There is also Comodo Dragon for consideration.

Which I cannot but tag as YACBBS (Yet Another Chromium Based Browser Spinoff).

There are by now (including the senseless shift of the good Opera guys, see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/105936-last-versions-of-software-for-windows-98se/?p=1067020

(if you wish it would be nice if you sign the petition)

tens of slightly different browsers that use the same Chromium/Webkit (or nowadays "Blink") "core" engine:

http://www.chromium.org/blink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browser_engines

99% of which also sport a similar "dumbified" interface. :(

jaclaz

I use COMODO Dragon, and happily, but it is DEFINITELY NOT light weight. LOL

Cheers and Regards

but it is DEFINITELY NOT light weight. LOL

exactly

This zombie thread is about privacy, not heft.

I guess we will need anyway to define "lightweight".

Just yesterday it was released a new version of one of the "augmented privacy" YACBBS, SRWARE Iron:

http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7502

which "portable" version is in a .zip file that expands to around 132 Mb. :ph34r:

In my dinosaurish view, if a web browser needs (besides all the rest) two dll's (namely chrome.dll and chrome_child.dll) sized 37 Mb each :w00t: it is a sign of how humanity is doomed :(.

jaclaz

This zombie thread is about privacy, not heft.

Sorry tain, I read the thread title and this page, but not the first one, so I missed that I was inadvertently pushing the thread a little off from its original focus. But as you said, other than the one post from 2011, and I'm not sure I understand it's connection to the rest of the thread, the rest of this thread was from 2009 until vinifera's post. :) But his post was applicable since he was comparing to QtWeb which was begun in the original part of the thread. At least I did say that I do use Dragon, regardless of its heft. LOL

Cheers and Regards

I use Opera for my college stuff, like online tests, when I am forced to. Opera is suprisingly fast, good, and decent. However Opera just seems too perfect to be true. But it gets the job done, without having to upgrade this and install that.

I use a non Microsoft browser that is low in resources on my 9x, machine and other machines when I can. In fact I believe all internet behavior should fit the standards of an user from 1998. Have the decent ability to surf the internet and load flash and gif files, as well as view MPEG video. That is how the internet should have stayed, low-ended, quick fast, and whatever you browse should remain your own business. Windows 98 or even 95 have the problem with collecting information ( evidence ) about the users activities, and since the switch to pure NT ( because all government offices all use NT ), has been nothing but an onslaught of invasive computer spying. 9x is completely unrealistic with browser privacy, out of box,

I usted to use IE, but nowadays, after reading about the involvement with Microsoft, Intel, and IBM, I just do not feel safe with these things, above all together. Windows = a fools OS. That is why their is so many resources, on windows, because the amount of fools who ends up supporting it, for the sake of their job, or education. The same could be said for Apple, as well, leaving very small choices of a "fool proof" OS that is reasonable.

Mozilla and all of it's clones gets a close to a decent browser. I heard about the whole FireFox 2 problems. Which is probably the reason why FireFox has all of these problems, like appearing as a worm to certain virus utilities. FireFox is no longer a family name that could be trusted.

I have not invested in using browsers, within an emulated environment yet. That would be the next step.

I believe the problem lies with the law, rather then programming efforts. What we need is supreme privacy measures, in which a persons usage on the internet can not be compared to a setup or sting for a drug bust, or something along those lines. Right now it is stupid and impossible, because they make it seem that you are literally crossing the boarder,

and coming back with a product.

From what I understand, the ISP, do not have any right to track your presence on the internet. As with my internet provider, the person on the phone once told me, "no we can't see what you browse on the internet". However because of certain laws around 2012, the government now has more unrealistic power, over citizens who wish to remain private, and wish to voice their opinions in cyberspace where it should not matter. What is sad is how the tech-savy is what is allowing them to get by, with that, we have these browsers that are continuesly becoming both anti-privacy. The sad part their is no league of super warrior computer programmers lawyers group, who are making the privacy for all, because many of our top programmers, are religious nuts ( no offense ), who lives inside cults, and have supremacy values drilled inside them, that hinders their understanding of what is right and what is wrong.

The bigger problem is the foolery of consuming, who could careless and literally bust a dookie, on anything technological, hardware, or even software related. Like old spouse, they do not care, if that one phone call ruin a pacifist lives, and turn them into a cold harden inhuman person. I am not saying everybody is all, made out of sugar and gold inside, I honestly believe the uninteresting in and unethical importance of privacy, privacy whether related to internet or not, is damned because of selfish intentions, without no understanding of what people do. A person can have all the free speech they want, get all the information they want, and store it on discs or whatever, but in the end it is only words and only data, and nobody should get aroused, to break in new laws, to take away peoples rights, or even lawfully attack an indivisual because they make-believe their words are the equal to a physical assault of some sort. We can't do anything about the controlled, submissive, relentless, consumers, because like the civil rights protests, of both India and America, people hide behind their children and passive resistance. I am not saying that these are solutions but people should think about the grown individual, not the suffering person who is in debt to their children and every entity around them, that allows them to have a little sleep at night, and just enough money to get by from the next meal to the next bath. eople are living in fear, and fear that is not to be feared, on a regular basis. It might not look it, but that happy go lucky person is not really as happy go lucky as they are, and would rather live in a sinking ship, of an nation and pretend, their is no violation of privacy, going on, as long it does not affect them. We have generated a huge sum of people that lives in this humanity without meaning,

Nowadays we have the TOS problem, where a videogame console has a TOS. I mean how is a five year old is suppose to understand anything? All they understand is unwrapping a present, to the point where they try and make you agree to something, or present that you did agree to something. The bottom-line is that a wrong doer, of any sort should not be compared to regular people browsing the internet, or even people who upload or download various things. The whole entire future is already setup so that you do not have real products, and all trade is reduce to basic needs, from plastic packaging, to paper-thin boxes, we are living in a world that went from balance to selfless cherry picking of peoples rights.

Ever seen Cherry 2000? and the man goes to the bar, and the women comes with an image or video of herself, instead of talking, and the entire thing is nothing but lawyers, and lobbyists waiting in the bar, to the be the middle-management of intercourse. That is what the internet is turning into because people are not biting back and are refusing to understand anything. The sad part is that simple-minded person who we call mom or dad is single most greatest victim.

You start a program, it makes you sign some kind of contract you have no idea of understanding anything, it even give you resources but you still can't understand anything. Then you do your browsing, and the next thing you know an message appears on screen, and says you have to appear in court tommorow, because this and that. However in current and reasonable standards that is inhuman, and violates many rights of privacy, and what people do with their own lives.

A couple years back you could run own website from your own home connection, but with all the bots, and Trojan informants floating about, it is impossible, without the right amount of tools.

Edited by ROTS

Hey ROTS ... Man that's one of my favorite films ... "Cherry 2000" ... should be required watching before a person graduates from high school ... the way it once was and what the future has become.

My toaster oven burned out in Dec and I could have gotten one from "Six Fingered Jake" ... remember all the toaster ovens stacked up in his cave or grotto. Vegas was a wasteland and people were going back to toaster ovens and things that worked and were simple!

Cherry 2000 (1988)

http://www.amazon.com/Cherry-2000-Melanie-Griffith/dp/B0000542CA/ref=sr_1_3/185-4129164-2590566?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1391459631&sr=1-3&keywords=cherry+2000

Price has gone up on the older DVD but there is a newer cheaper release.