A networking problem with assigning IPs and subnet masks

Hello and please excuse me for the 'for dummies' type of question. There is an ADSL modem:

70031645.png

giving Internet to a router:

50566499.png

83042254.png

which then transfers it to 2 PCs (they take the 192.168.0.2 and the 192.168.0.3 through a DHCP server on the router according to their MAC address). So far, so good. However, I recently realised that my USB WLAN Adapter could be used as an Access Point as well. So I want to set it up in order to distribute Internet to a laptop via a wireless network. How exactly could this happen?

Now when I plug the wireless adapter the following error shows up:

sshot1x.png

And since I do not have deep enough understanding of networking and subnet masks (I already tried changing them but apparently the Internet Connection Sharing feature of Windows XP causes some kind of IP address conflict) I have brought the case to your attention. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by brnn

192.168.X.X is a Private range of IP addresses for LANs. The default Subnet Mask should be 255.255.255.0. Your WAN IP address for your Router cannot be 192.168.X.X, that is allocated from your ISP.

192.168.1.X and 192.168.0.X are different subnets and you will not be able to connect to each other, unless you have another Router. All your LAN computers should be on the same subnet, either use 192.168.0.X OR 192.168.1.X.

Hope this helps.

192.168.1.X and 192.168.0.X are the WAN and LAN sides of the netgear router, so they're ok.

It looks like the only problem is using the USB adapter as an access point, the rest is probably fine.

How can 192.168.1.X be used for the WAN IP address? 192.168 are for Private IP addresses, NOT Public IP addresses. :}

Well, the WAN IP address of the router is something like 77.85.***.*** and the 192.168.1.X is the LAN IP address of the modem (which is in fact an ADSL Router). All this before the Wireless Adapter is fine as I have been using this configuration of IPs/Subnets for a while and I am writing this from the 192.168.0.2. However, I think that the problem is in 192.168.0.1 which is the default address for the Internet Connection Sharing in Windows... What will happen if I make all of the addresses in the network similar - 192.168.5.X for example? Also, what will happen if the ADSL modem's subnet is changed to 255.255.255.0 - will everything continue to work well?

The only settings you need to change are the LAN IP address on the DI-604, change that to 192.168.2.1 or anything other than 192.168.0.x

Pretty sure the DHCP range will get fixed automatically, but check it too.

No need to mess with the WAN settings, or the adsl router.

Then reboot the DI-604 and clients and try ICS again.

@FAT64

There are two routers (so far) involved here, could do with a diagram...

Edited by uid0

The only settings you need to change are the LAN IP address on the DI-604, change that to 192.168.2.1 or anything other than 192.168.0.x

Pretty sure the DHCP range will get fixed automatically, but check it too.

No need to mess with the WAN settings, or the adsl router.

Then reboot the DI-604 and clients and try ICS again.

@FAT64

There are two routers (so far) involved here, could do with a diagram...

Thank you VERY MUCH! However, I believe that I have tried changing the router's LAN IP with 192.168.5.1 or something like that but I have probably not waited long enough until the router has restarted or something like that which has led to my writing of this topic. By the way what do you refer to as a "netgear router" and why? My router is D-Link and the modem is ZTE...

Edited by brnn

And what would be the good IP on the WLAN Adapter and the respective other device that accepts the Internet? Because after 3 good attempts something went wrong and I don't exactly get what it is - the ICS-ed Wireless Connection get 192.168.0.1 - should I change it to 192.168.2.3 and should the other PC get the 192.168.2.4?

ICS should hand out addresses in the 192.168.0.x range - let it do so by DHCP, don't fix them or change them...

What do you mean by "3 good attempts" and "something went wrong"?

ICS should hand out addresses in the 192.168.0.x range - let it do so by DHCP, don't fix them or change them...

What do you mean by "3 good attempts" and "something went wrong"?

Everything is fine now - it seems that I have put wrong IPs in the client PCs instead of choosing 'Obtain IP address automaticaly'. Apparently the WLAN Adapter has its own DHCP as it gives addresses of the 192.168.0.75 type, for example.

Edited by brnn