problem with W98SE on Asrock4coredual sata2 R2.0

imai

Hi folks,

I was very pleased to find on this forum the "modern" MB that will work with Windows 98 SE. I have an old FAST AV Master capture card that will not work under XP or Vista as only drivers for W95 and W98 exist.

So I bought an Asrock 4coredual sata2 R2.0 MB and installed W98SE on an IDE HD with 256 MB DDR400 memory and an AGP4x videocard. Installation was no problem but there is no USB support and I can't change the resolution (16 bits colour, 640x480).

The Asrock site do not provide drivers for W98, only drivers for W2000 and more recent OS are available.

What should I do to get this going ?

You need to visit Via site:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/

Today site is having "small" problem so this link is not showing download section. From that link you must go to support and then to drivers at Via Arena, but because of site problem this has not been possible for me today.

Other possibility is to take chipset drivers from other sites. I am having 2 examples:

1) http://nodevice.in/driver/company/VIA/Chipset.html site is on chinese language

2) http://www.nodevice.com/driver/PT880/get37366.html

Officialy Asrock 4coredual sata2 MBO i having chipset VIA® PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra. I have writen links for PT880 pro (1) and PT880 (2), but maybe this will work

Edited by Rjecina

Rjecina thanks for the help. The VIA site was available and I found the Via_HyperionPro_524A, according to VIA the best suitable for W98SE and the PT880Pro chpset but ..........

When I ran the setup, the installation halted with the message that it had stopped before installing all items and that the system had not been changed. I have no clue why this happened

After restart Windows found new hardware: Via standard host bridge (5X), PCI to ISA bridge, PCI to PCIE bridge, Ultra Vlink contrller, I/O APIC IC and PCI to PCI bridge controller. When I directed Windows to the viamach directory of Via_HyperionPro it seemed to install the drivers but I still miss AGP and USB support.

In Windows hardware management there is still a yellow question mark at PCI Universal Seril Bus and my Samsung Syncmaster still runs on a standard PCI graphic adapter.

What to do next ? In the HyperionPro package is no AGP driver for W98SE but I can check the manufacturer site for the videocard, the USB Root Hubs and the Universal hostcontrollers for PCI to USB are functioning correct.

Can I have a malfunctioning motherboard ? Or would it be wise to reinstall W98SE and install SP3 beta ?

Please advise, Best regards Imai

The 524A is too new! First try the 521A, as per RetroOS suggestion. If it still gives you grief, then try the VIA_Hyperion 4in1_v456. I'd try to install it on top of the already installed driver, just to install what's missing. If this procedure doesn't work for you, then remove the previous installs and add the 456. As for USB, NUSB 3.3 should be all you need. But, in case it doesn't enable USB 2.0 for you, the you should remove just the USB 2.0 generic driver using add/remove and install VIA_USB2_V270p1-L-M. Good luck!

Sorry I should have kept you informed of what I have done to get it (almost) going.

The installation of the 521A went smoothly after installation of DirecX8.1, then I ran NUSB3.3, taking a chance because it is intended for the English version of Windows and I have a Dutch version. My 2GB USB stick was then identified as a USB2 flash drive which had to be formatted. There was no data on the stick so after formatting I could load it with data. Graphics were OK after the installation of the ATI AGP driver. So I wrote the message that all was fine.

My enthousiasm was somewhat tempered the next day when I found that a second 2GB USB stick did not show up in ThisComputer.

There is a memory conflict in system devices for the ACPI-BIOS systemcard extention, but that may be solved when I increse memory.

The next step will be to install 2GB DDR2 ram (changing the system.ini file as explained in this forum) and the installation of a SATA drive so your advice for the driver is well timed.

Thanks again and any other suggestions are most wecome.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all your good advice I have W98SE running on a Asrock 4coredual-sata2 mobo with 2 GB PC2-5300 memory (only 1GB in use).

Processor Intel Pentium E5200

ATI Rage 128 pro AGP 4x

system.ini

MaxPhysPage=40000

MaxFileCache=261120

MinFileCache=32768

ChunkSize=4096

Config.sys: device=c:\windows\himem.exe (renamed himem.sys) :thumbup