Universal guide to integrating Vista drivers into XP

GamerDude

I am trying to use nLite to make an XP Pro SP3 os disc with Vista drivers. I know from exp that it needs Vista drivers integrated to be able to successfully install. I made a backup copy of all the Vista drivers so that I could meld them with the XP disc. Problem though is that nLite looks for (.INF) file(s) and the Vista drivers are (.INX) file(s). I have done this once before but have completely forgotten how I did it. Could someone make a universal guide to integrating Vista drivers with an XP system disc. I keep finding ones specific to certain pcs but I need one that is not to a specific pc. There are so many different pcs out there that flying by a different guide crashes me so to speak. http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4847 <= There is a link to the laptop that I am trying to convert.

GamerDude, I really don`t understand why you want to do that.

Vista-Drivers are for Vista, XP-Drivers are for XP.

You can`t mix them up, there is really no reason to do this. :no:

Not to mention the Vista driver model for certain devices (like video and audio cards) isn't the same, so a *true* Vista driver for either of these won't work on XP at all (for example). If you have XP drivers, it would be far better to use those. At best, the drivers won't work in XP at all, at worst your XP installation will be unstable or won't work at all.

Dont mix with drivers from other windows versions less you know what you doing - which means less you know from doing a bit detective work into any specific drivers you want to use, that they would work.

Deploying drivers untested for xp could result in a non-functional install - hence you would be re-installing immidiately, or left with a lot of clean-up work.

Even still, there's no reason to use vista 64 drivers on xp 64 or win2000 drivers on xp32bit, ie it goes both ways (examples).

Using vista drivers on xp32 bit makes less sense of all as the codebase differential is huge. It doesnt translate for all intents and purposes in general, any well at all.

While sure some versions of windows "translate" well in driver versions, as i am trying to say xp 32bit does not do that job very well, ie compability.

Not to mention that many of the vista drivers are bloated, as much vista related is.

Which hopefully windows 7 remedies.

Anyway, there are several customized drivers for various hardware, creative cards, ati/nvidia gfx cards comes to mind.