Integration of AMD / ATI SB7XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP

MikeD

@ hardenbroekje:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

You obviously have integrated the AMD driver named amd_sata.sys, which is only usable with Vista or Windows 7. If you want to get Windows XP installed onto your AMD chipset system running in AHCI mode, you have to take the AMD SATA AHCI driver named ahcix86.sys.

Solution:

I recommend to Integrate the 32bit AMD textmode driver for Windows XP, which I have linked >here<.

Regards

Fernando

Well, that's strange, the amd_sata.sys driver is included in the official driver package.
You obviously have integrated all drivers, which are within AMD's latest Catalyst driverpack. This was a mistake.

If you want to get Windows XP installed without any problem, you should do the following:

1. Use a clean (= untouched) XP CD as source and don't load the Last_Session.ini of a previous nLite processing.

2. Let nLite just integrate the Service Pack 3 (if not already present) and the actual AMD AHCI driver (I gave you already the link). Don't integrate any other driver!

3. Let nLite burn the image directly or let nLite create the ISO file and burn it separately.

Regards

Fernando

"Can find amd_sata.sys", then the computer reboots.

amd_sata.sys is a storport.sys child driver.

That's supported at 2003 and up. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff567541(v=vs.85).aspx

amd_sata.sys won't work in XP.

Well, that's strange, the amd_sata.sys driver is included in the official driver package.

Yes, it's confusing.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/integrated_xp-32.aspx#2

AMD Chipset Drivers 24.2 MB 12.1 1/25/2012

Package Includes:

AMD AHCI Driver

AMD Raid Drivers 24.2 MB 12.1 1/25/2012

Package Includes:

AMD A-Series APU Chipset RAID Drivers

Information is misleading.
I do have theAMD SATA AHCI driver named ahcix86.sys here. But is in a folder called RAID.

The RAID driver does support AHCI too.

Ignore the web page:

do not use AHCI drivers at AHCI

use RAID drivers at AHCI.

Added:

It's documented actually:

12-1_xp32-64_sb\$_OUTDIR\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\AHCI_svr\XP\readme.rtf

AMD AHCI controller driver distribution list

Version 1.2.001.0317, 10/04/2011

WS03x64 - Windows Server 2003 SP2, x64

WS03x86 - Windows Server 2003 SP2, x86

LHx64 - Windows Server 2008, x64

LHx86 - Windows Server 2008, x86

Win7x64 - Windows Server 2008R2, x64

Strange: a driver at \xp\ directory matches 2003, but not XP.

And amd_sata.inf

[Manufacturer]

%AMD% = AMD,NTx86.5.2

[AMD.NTx86.5.2]

.5.2 refers to 2003. That's 2003 only, not XP.

It's a nLite error to include this driver to XP.

Edited by cdob

• 2 weeks later...

Since spring 2011 I own an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 motherboard. In January this year a Crucial SSD was added. The Crucial should run in the AHCI mode.

The PC is equipped as follows:

AMD Phenom II X4 910

2 X 4 GB Crucial DDR3

2 Seagate ST32000641 AS

1 Seagate 2000DL003

Optiarc Sata optical drive

Drivers were taken from the system cd rom.

A dual-boot system XP – 7 is used.

The installation of Windows 7 with bios setting Sata1-6 AHCI, Sata 5-6 IDE; or Sata 1-6 AHCI went all right. After boot the drives were recognised and installed. The program CrystalDiskInfo showed all drives and their temperature.

For XP I tried the installation of the AHCI drivers in an already installed XP system (Phenomic, How do you enable AHCI mode AFTER you have installed XP, 01 August 2009); made an installation cd with the AMD driver AMD AHCI Driver V3.2.1540.35 for Windows 32/64bit XP (Version 3.2.1540.35/1.2.0.16) in the bios settings Sata1-4 AHCI, Sata 5-6 IDE and as well Sata 1-6 AHCI.

In all cases XP booted up In AHCI mode (register settings were slightly different).

However; CrystalDiskInfo doesn’t show disks and their temperature (a message popped up saying that in Raid SMART values couldn’t be displayed).

Obvious this AHCI mode acts like Raid.

What to do?

For XP I tried the installation of the AHCI drivers in an already installed XP system (Phenomic, How do you enable AHCI mode AFTER you have installed XP, 01 August 2009); made an installation cd with the AMD driver AMD AHCI Driver V3.2.1540.35 for Windows 32/64bit XP (Version 3.2.1540.35/1.2.0.16) in the bios settings Sata1-4 AHCI, Sata 5-6 IDE and as well Sata 1-6 AHCI.

In all cases XP booted up In AHCI mode (register settings were slightly different).

However; CrystalDiskInfo doesn’t show disks and their temperature (a message popped up saying that in Raid SMART values couldn’t be displayed).

Obvious this AHCI mode acts like Raid.

What to do?

I have no idea, why CrystalDiskInfo shows the S.M.A.R.T. values of your AHCI mode connected hdd's while running Win7, but not when running Windows XP.

If you want the S.M.A.R.T. values while running Windows XP, you obviously have to change the SATA mode to "IDE".

AMD 12.2 Raid in Textmode Driver v3.3.1540.26 for Windows XP Release. SBxxx ALL?
Thanks for the information.

I will present modded versions of the new 32/64bit drivers, when I have the time to do it.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

The installation of Windows 7 with bios setting Sata1-6 AHCI, Sata 5-6 IDE; or Sata 1-6 AHCI went all right. After boot the drives were recognised and installed. The program CrystalDiskInfo showed all drives and their temperature.

Did you add AMD AHCI drivers to Windows 7?

Windows default driver msahci.sys does transfer S.M.A.R.T data.

For XP I tried the installation of the AHCI drivers ... AMD AHCI Driver V3.2.1540.35

However; CrystalDiskInfo doesn’t show disks and their temperature

Driver ahcix86.sys 3.1.1540.127 dosn't transfer S.M.A.R.T data.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27817123

No idea about V3.2.1540.35

For XP I tried the installation of the AHCI drivers ... AMD AHCI Driver V3.2.1540.35

dstk suggested driver V3.3.1540.26, which I couldn’t find.

I used V3.3.1540.22. I made a XP O.S. on a HDD to prevent unwanted influence of the SSD. The result was the same: no SMART info.

Cdob says that some drivers do not transfer SMART data.

Is a workaround possible (fernando1)?

@ bmwk75:

I repeat tcdob's earlier question, which you didn't answer yet:

Which AHCI driver (the in-box msahci.sys or the AMD one) do/did you use while running Windows 7?

See below.

Obviously none of the AMD AHCI/RAID drivers do support the S.M.A.R.T. data while running Windows XP. If this should be true' date=' there is no workaround. At least it will be your decision, if you want a better performance (running the SATA Controllers in AHCI mode, but without S.M.A.R.T. data) or a continuous monitoring of the hdd S.M.A.R.T. values.

@ all:

Here are the requested download links to the newest 32/64bit AMD SBxxx textmode drivers dated 11/17/2011, which have been modified by me yesterday to make them usable with (hopefully) all AMD Southbridges from SB6xx up:

>32bit AMD SBxxx textmode driver v3.3.1540.26 for Windows XP mod by Fernando<

>64bit AMD SBxxx textmode driver v3.3.1540.26 for Windows XP x64 mod by Fernando<

Good luck!

Regards

Fernando

Sorry for not answering your question

For Windows 7 I used no extra AMD drivers; so the drivers are 7 drivers.

@ bmwk75:

I repeat tcdob's earlier question, which you didn't answer yet:

Which AHCI driver (the in-box msahci.sys or the AMD one) do/did you use while running Windows 7?

See below.

Obviously none of the AMD AHCI/RAID drivers do support the S.M.A.R.T. data while running Windows XP. If this should be true' date=' there is no workaround. At least it will be your decision, if you want a better performance (running the SATA Controllers in AHCI mode, but without S.M.A.R.T. data) or a continuous monitoring of the hdd S.M.A.R.T. values.

@ all:

Here are the requested download links to the newest 32/64bit AMD SBxxx textmode drivers dated 11/17/2011, which have been modified by me yesterday to make them usable with (hopefully) all AMD Southbridges from SB6xx up:

>32bit AMD SBxxx textmode driver v3.3.1540.26 for Windows XP mod by Fernando<

>64bit AMD SBxxx textmode driver v3.3.1540.26 for Windows XP x64 mod by Fernando<

Good luck!

Regards

Fernando

Thank you for your help Fernando. I give a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

I used this .REG

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#VEN_1002&DEV_4391]

"Service"="ahcix86"

"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86]

"Type"=dword:00000001

"Start"=dword:00000000

"Group"="SCSI miniport"

"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\ahcix86.sys"

"tag"=dword:00000019

"DisplayName"="ATI AHCI Compatible RAID Controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86\Parameters\PnpInterface]

"5"=dword:0x00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86\Settings\CAM]

"EnableALPEDisableHotplug"=dword:0

"EnableCCC"=dword:1

"CCCTimeoutValue"=dword:10

"CCCCompletionValue"=dword:32

"NCQEnableDiskIDBits"=dword:0

"EnableHIPM"=dword:0

"EnableDIPM"=dword:0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86\Enum]

"0"="PCI\\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&SUBSYS_B0021458&REV_00\\3&61aaa01&0&88"

"Count"=dword:00000001

"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

and copied the AHCI drivers that I got from ASUS.com to the system32/drivers folder, reboot, changed the BIOS SETUP to AHCI and got it working

So no need to slisptream on my XP32 system on my ASUS M3A78-EM, just added that to REG and the official drivers to system32/drivers

Welcome to MSFN.

It is a known approach (see post #9 on page 1), I've done it too and I'm happy to know it worked for you. It would be nice if you could upload the .reg file, as copying from the forum post sometimes messes with the lines and spaces. I also see additional options in this code that can be discussed.

Edit: this http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-sata-hard-disk-mode-from-ide-to-ahci-raid-in-bios-after-installing-windows/ is the general principle

Cheers

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt