Integration of AMD / ATI SB7XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP

MikeD

The line in the ahcix86.inf file is correct
%NapaDesc%=Napa_Inst,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&CC_0106

, but it says a better hardware was not found.

If you want to replace any previously installed driver by a non-WHQL one from within a running OS, you have to force the driver update. Otherwise you will get the message, that the newest and best driver has been already been installed.

This is the way how to force the installation of a "modded" driver after doing a right click onto the Controller: "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my computer ...." > "Let me pick ...." > "Have Disk" > point to the INF file of the "modded" driver (here: ahcix86.inf) > "OK".

Edited by Fernando 1

If you want to replace a WHQL certified driver by a non-WHQL one from within a running OS, you have to force the driver update. Otherwise you will get the message, that the newest and best driver has been already been installed.

The funny thing is, I have not installed a WHQL driver on this PC. It was primarily installed with nLite and I have used your modded drivers since. The first installed is 03/24/2010, 3.2.1548.37 from file oem0.inf in /WINDOWS/inf

More info (according to SIW):

North Bridge AMD 780G

South Bridge AMD SB700

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

It appears I am just not getting this. Could use some assistance. I want to run Win7 64 bit from an upgrade disk -- from XP. So, I have to install the nlite xp w/fernando's mod and then upgrade with win7 disk. I am not running raid and only want my ssd to run in ahci. Here's what I've done so far. (Please excuse the excessive details.)

• MY XP disk already has sp3.

• Saved xp files to ssd desktop --

• Downloaded Fernando's most recent modded drivers

• Saved modded files in folder on desktop

• Initiated NLite

• Selected desktop xp location

• Task selection

• Integrate drivers.

• Create ISO

• Restart-> BIOS -> Config AHCI from IDE mode. Change boot order to ROM drive.

• Restart -> Insert ISO Disk

• Boot up

• Shows initiating AMD AHCI version 3.0.9 (didn't catch exact version) .....

• JMicro something or other no drives found...

• No Bootable device. restart or insert media and hit key

Its obvious I'm new here and at working on this sort of thing.

Does anyone know why xp sp3 isn't recognizing ahci mode upon first install on ssd? (I set achi mode in bios before installing OS)

*I am also running win7 while creating this disk in NLite (if that matters)

Thoughts?

Thank You

Edited by sdubs

@ sdubs:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

It was not a good idea to copy the XP source and the driver onto the desktop (the path is too long for the nLite processing and this may produce problems).

Advice:

If you want to create a Windows XPCD with integrated SATA AHCI driver, you should create separate folders like "XPCD" and "AMD SATA driver" within the root of the system partition (drive C).

Additional question:

Are you sure, that your SSD is connected with an AMD Southbridge SATA Controller?

Please let us know your system details (name and manufacturer of the mainboard).

Regards

Fernando

Fernando,

the zip package "32bit AMD/ATI SB7xx RAID&AHCI Driver v9-4 (WHQL)" has been removed from that location.

Reason: The file you requested has been removed from MediaFire for a violation of our Terms of Service or our Acceptable Use Policy.

If you (or anyone else) still have the files, would it be possible to email then to me?

rogerbarnhill@hotmail.com

Thank you for your consideration.

Thank You for your response.

It appears I'm not having any luck with this. I installed the OS from the disk I made and no luck. I also had to reformat my ssd ( wasn't sure if I should have done that.)

I appreciate the response.

It was not a good idea to copy the XP source and the driver onto the desktop (the path is too long for the nLite processing and this may produce problems).

Advice:

If you want to create a Windows XPCD with integrated SATA AHCI driver, you should create separate folders like "XPCD" and "AMD SATA driver" within the root of the system partition (drive C).

Not sure what you mean or how to do this?

Additional question:

Are you sure, that your SSD is connected with an AMD Southbridge SATA Controller?

Please let us know your system details (name and manufacturer of the mainboard).

Mainboard is ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

No, unfortunately I am not sure and am not sure how to be sure that I am. Can you advise on how to do this?

Should I have also installed the drivers that are available on the MB disk? On this disk there are ASUS AMD AHCI drivers and raid drivers. Also, JMicron Drivers for ahci and raid. What are these? and do I need to also install these drivers in addition to your modded ones?

Regards

Edited by sdubs

Advice:

Not sure what you mean or how to do this?
I hope, that you know how to create a new folder from within the drive C.
No, unfortunately I am not sure and am not sure how to be sure that I am. Can you advise on how to do this?

Should I have also installed the drivers that are available on the MB disk? On this disk there are ASUS AMD AHCI drivers and raid drivers. Also, JMicron Drivers for ahci and raid. What are these? and do I need to also install these drivers in addition to your modded ones?

What you need to integrate is the AHCI driver, which is suitable for the SATA Controller, where your SSD is connected.

If your mainboard has SATA Controllers from AMD and JMicron, you should check, where your SSD data cable is connected.

You can do it either by opening your desktop case and comparing the cable connections with your mainboard manual or by looking for the HardwareID's of your currently in use SATA Controllers from within the Device Manager (right click onto the SATA Controller resp. "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers" > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's").

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Fernando,

Yes I'll be making a new xp disk with files saved on c. It appears that the ssd is not connected directly to the sb (from what I can see and based off of the manual) hardware id's

no idea how to read these or interpret if they are correct.

So this is what I am going to do next:

• Make a new disk with your modded drivers with nlite.

• reformat drive to install os (again)

• Reconnect ssd to sata port 5 or 6 (from what I can figure this is where)

• reboot

Other thoughts?

Also, will I need to install any of the drivers that came with my MB disk in addition to yours or does the one you modded replace these?--there are AMD and jmicron drivers available.

and thank you for being patient with me here ans responding,

Sdubs

Edited by sdubs

@ rogerbar:

I am sorry for the late reply, but I didn't realize your request earlier.

Why do you want the meanwhile outdated driver named "32bit AMD/ATI SB7xx RAID&AHCI Driver v9-4 (WHQL)"? There are much newer and probaby better AHCI/RAID drivers from AMD/ATI available.

Furthermore I am not able to send you the requested driver within the next 4 weeks, because I am in holidays and far away from my home.

@ sdubs:

Here is my comment:

It appears that the ssd is not connected directly to the sb (from what I can see and based off of the manual) hardware id's

no idea how to read these or interpret if they are correct.

These are the HardwareID's of the device named "JMB36X Standard Dual Channel PCIE IDE Controller" and belongs to a JMicron SATA port. If your SSD really is connected to that port and you want to get Windows XP installed in AHCI mode, you have to load/integrate the suitable AHCI driver from JMicron and not the AMD one.

Please check the SATA port, where your SSD is connected.

Also, will I need to install any of the drivers that came with my MB disk in addition to yours or does the one you modded replace these?--there are AMD and jmicron drivers available.
If your SSD is connected with any Jmicron SATA port, you have to integrate the JMicron driver instead of the AMD one.

By the way:

As far as I know it is not possible to do a direct upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. If I am right, all your efforts to get Windows XP installed prior to the Win7 upgrade installation are useless.

This is what I recommend for you:

1. Connect your SSD with the first AMD SATA port of your mainboard (usually Port0). The AMD SATA port will give you a better perfrmance than the JMicron port.

2. Set the AMD SATA port to AHCI mode within the BIOS.

3. Do a fresh Windows 7 installation onto your SSD. after having set the SATA Controller of your SSD. Don't enter the Win7 Upgrade product key you got (it will not be accepted).

4. Follow >this< guide about how to get the Windows 7 Upgrade version activated.

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Fernando,

Thanks again for the input. You've been very patient with someone who is obviously not well versed in this. I feel embarrassed posting here knowing everyone can see my noobness. Oh well. I am learning a lot here.

Anyway,

So what you are basically telling me is that all of my efforts so far have been useless because:

1). I have my ssd connected to the wrong sata port.

2). Because even if I did figure out what drivers to install, it may all have been for nothing because of the xp-win7upgrade issue.

I will be connecting my ssd to the port "sata 1" (that is going to be the AMD SATA PORT right?) **When I posted the hardware id's it was connected to sata1 already!!** -- Last night after my post I disconnected from sata1 and connected to sata 5 or 6 because I thought that was the amd sb850 port, when I read your post about the Jmicron Hardware ID's I went back in to device ID to see if it had changed because I connected to new port 6 ---- it has the same hardware ID's as sata 1 I dont understand this. Will you take a look at my MB manual and confirm which port to run my ssd from before/when I do the new win7 install trick/workaround you suggested above? Link to MB Manual http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A89GTD_PROUSB3/#download pages 20 (or 2-1, 2.2.2), 49 (or section 2-31), 73 (or 3.4.2)

I am not understanding how you can tell the difference between the JMicron post and the AMD one (if there is such a thing going on here). And I also don't understand if I need to integrate new drivers (or which one) into a nlite install disk for win7.

You've been a great help,

regards,

sdubs

@ sdubs:

After having downloaded and studied the manual of your mainboard I found out the following:

1. All 6 internal SATA ports named Sata 1-6 are AMD SB850 ones.
    So your SSD is connected with an AMD SB850 SATA Controller anyway (regardless the Sata port 1-6). The HardwareID's you gave me are not the ones of the Controller, which was connected with your SSD.
  2. The SATA mode of the Sata ports 5-6 can be set separately within the BIOS.
    Advice: Make sure, that your optical drive is connected to either the Sata 5 or Sata 6 port.
  3. Additionally your mainboard has an JMicron® JMB361 P-ATA and SATA Controller. The JMicron P-ATA Controller manages the 40-pin IDE port, whereas the eSATA port is an external one.

I will be connecting my ssd to the port "sata 1" (that is going to be the AMD SATA PORT right?)
Yes, the port "Sata 1" will be the best choice for your SSD.
And I also don't understand if I need to integrate new drivers (or which one) into a nlite install disk for win7.
You probably don't need to load any special driver during the Win7 installation, because the OS has an in-box SATA driver, which will detect your SSD during the OS installation, even after having set the SATA Controller to AHCI mode. Once Windows 7 is up, you can replace the generic MS AHCI driver by the actual AMD AHCI driver from within the Device Manager.

By the way: The tool nLite doesn't support the Win7 installation at all.

Here are some additional tips regarding the BIOS SATA settings within the "Main" > "Storage Configuration" section after having connected the SSD with SATA Port 1 and the optical drive (if it is a SATA one) with SATA Port 5 or 6:

1. "OnChip SATA Channel": Has to be set to "Enabled"

2. "OnChip SATA Type": Set it to "AHCI"

3. "SATA Port5 - Port6": Set it to "Native IDE".

Regards

Fernando

Fernando,

Thanks for taking a look at the mb manual and getting me headed in the right direction!

Here is where I am with this:

I connected to (sata 1) The rom drive to sata 5. like you recommended. I followed the instructions to install and activate win7 upgrade with out first installing xp. It worked, first try!

Here's the good: post-331666-0-75223700-1316904925_thumb.

Here's the bad: Patriot IDE -->post-331666-0-56390500-1316904996_thumb.,

Missing Sata 1-4 post-331666-0-48919600-1316905019_thumb.

again post-331666-0-47060400-1316905055_thumb.

So, according to your previous post I have the settings correct, I did the install, and now I need to replace the windows ahci drivers with AMD drivers. new hardware id\'s.txt

What I need to do next is install the correct drivers. Can I use the ones that came with the MB disk? post-331666-0-53714500-1316905558_thumb. or do I find the drivers at the ASUS site? or AMD site?

**Also, in an unrelated question: any idea why I am getting a "Disk I/O Error" when I have a usb drive installed when rebooting? I am also getting this message when I boot: post-331666-0-36509200-1316906069_thumb.

I think that's it Fernando, let me know what you think! I'm almost there (I think)

Regards,

sdubs

post-331666-0-55997100-1316905036_thumb.

Edited by sdubs

@ sdubs:

I am sorry for my delayed answer, but I am in holidays and didn't have any internet connection for the last days.

Here is where I am with this:

I connected to (sata 1) The rom drive to sata 5. like you recommended. I followed the instructions to install and activate win7 upgrade with out first installing xp. It worked, first try!

Congratulations!
Here's the bad: Patriot IDE
That is nothing to worry about. "IDE" doesn't mean "Native IDE", but "SATA AHCI mode" in this case.
Missing Sata 1-4
I don't know why the Sata ports 1-4 are not shown by this BIOS screen, but they obviously are working.
What I need to do next is install the correct drivers. Can I use the ones that came with the MB disk?
Yes, if there are Win7 drivers within it.
or do I find the drivers at the ASUS site? or AMD site?
If you are searching for the latest AMD drivers, you should look into the AMD support and driver pages.
Also, in an unrelated question: any idea why I am getting a "Disk I/O Error" when I have a usb drive installed when rebooting? I am also getting this message when I boot
I recommend to disable all unused SATA, IDE and eSATA Controllers within the BIOS.

Furthermore I would set the optical drive (your DVD ROM) as fist bootable device. The hdd/SSD should be the second one.

Regards

Fernando