Integration of AMD / ATI SB7XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP

MikeD

I posted above about both Win2000 and XP because they're basically the same OS.
That is right, but there are some differences nevertheless. The main question is, if the built-in generic MS IDE drivers do detect and fully support the SATA drives, which should run in "IDE Mode".
Do you have a recommended procedure for installing Win2k on the new AM3 mobos with AMD/ATI 790GX/SB750?
Not really, because I never had such a system.

This is what I would try:

1. Integrate the actual AMD/ATI SB7xx chipset drivers (=Soutbridge drivers) as PnP drivers.

2. Try to install W2k by booting off the nLited CD.

Good luck!

Fernando

@ Volt:

I think, that you really are running your SATA hdd in AHCI Mode (as your BIOS settings verify) and can be sure, that the AHCI features (hot plugging and NCQ) are supported.

S.M.A.R.T. is no AHCI feature. If the used SATA drivers do not give you the S.M.A.R.T. informations although it has been enabled within the BIOS, you can get the informations nevertheless by using the tool CrystalDiskInfo. You can get it here: http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDi...fo/index-e.html

Thanks for the answer :)

btw even that tool is unable to read the S.M.A.R.T. :) looks like I'll have to do without :)

• 2 weeks later...
:whistle: Hi! I'm brand new to this forum, but sure glad I found it. I have a new ASUS M4A77TD-PRO motherboard with AMD 770/SB710 chipset. I was surprised to find no floppy drive capability on the mobo, and went looking for a way to install XP on a RAID set. All roads seemed to point to nLite slipstreaming, so that's what I have tried, but with no success until I read this forum. I think the problem stems from the version of RAID "F6" software provided on the mobo support DVD. When I read about Fernando 1's package he provided (see his post above), I downloaded it and tried it, and it worked! I presume the 9-4 and 9-6 he refers to are the Catalyst version numbers, and I don't know which Catalyst version would have the files on my support DVD. I do note that the latest Catalyst version is 9-8, and at the risk of burning another coaster, I may try that one. But the 9-4 version provided by Fernando works, and I just wanted to pass that info on for anyone else out there who may be struggling with this mobo. :thumbup

Incidentally, the RAID drivers that didn't work came from this folder on the DVD:

Drivers\RAID\Driver\WinXP\x86

I also ran the "makedisk" utility and wrote the results to a local hard drive and used that folder for the slipstreaming, but that didn't work either.

Thanks for your Post Actor. I'm starting to suspect the drivers on the ASUS support CD also.

I'm trying to get RAID 1 to work on a new M4A785TD-V EVO useing my previous install that was on a Nvidia chipset MB.

I can boot into XP with the drives in SATA IDE mode.

If they are in SATA AHCI or SATA RAID 1 mode then XP reboots right after the flash screen.

I used the method offered by CDOB above of booting up in IDE mode, copying over the "ahcix86.sys to system32\drivers. " and importing the registry code.

I then set the drives to AHCI mode and reboot.

I thought I had succeeded as I booted into XP :hello:

As expected the OS looked for drivers again. UNFORTUNATELY I had the ASUS CD in the drive. So instead of pulling from the floppy I made, it pulled from the CD.

Next reboot I'm back to XP failing to load. UGGH! :blink:

So I guess I'm going to restore to a prior state and then try again.

Lowcarb

Can you boot at IDE mode still?

Yes

Copy over the good ahcix86.sys to system32\drivers again.

Ya. That was my first thought. Did that. (copied over the driver from the v 9.4 catalyst package you recommended) No difference, still reboots

I was so excited when it booted after I first did the procedure.

Only thing I can think of is maybe I didn't use the driver version that I thought I did.

I'm not about to ask windows to restore to a previous state. I'm not sure what that might do to my non-raid'ed drives.

I guess I'll inventory how many different ahcix86.sys files I have and start swaping them one at a time to see how they each perform.

I'm a bit shocked though that a driver listed as 7xx family could be so picky about which version will work with the sb710.

Maybe I should have chosen a 790g/750 combo?

OK. Some progress report.

No luck with replacing the ahcix86.sys in c:\windows\system32\drivers with various versions.

Something got broken during the first reboot after adding them.

But I do have luck with getting the install disk to load.

I had been using an slipstreamed SP3 disk. It worked fine with an Nvidia based system but when I used the F6 to load the AMD drivers it would BSOD.

I've seen some other posts in my search for and answer, where the posters reported that strange results were caused by a bad install disk.

On a whim, I reverted back to my slipstreamed SP2 disk. It correctly accepts the F6 drivers and continues along to the install choices.

So it looks like I'm going to use Repair option to get the drivers loaded into XP.

BTW I'm using the drivers that came on the ASUS support disk. They are the latest version that is available from the AMD site also. Specifically, Microsoft Windows miniport driver 3.1.1540.127. The ahcix86.sys is dated 4/8/2009 2:46AM and is 186KB

Now here is the rub.

XP installer reports that the RAID1 logical drive is corrupt and refuses to install to it.

This is not totally unexpected as I've booted the drives in RAID, IDE and AHCI mode many times over the last few days trying to figure this out.

I'm open to suggestions and advice on how to clear this up.

BTW , this is a multiboot system so I can boot up another OS.

Lend your support to one of these options I'm considering, or suggest your own.

FYI, there are two WD750 drives configured as a RAID1 Logical Drive

Option A:

Boot RAID1 array into Win7.

Rebuild the logical drive using RaidXpert (AMD RAID management software)

BOOT XP Install disk, Install XP onto the RAID1 Drive

Option B:

Configure drives as AHCI in BIOS

Boot W7 with 2 individual AHCI connected drives. Run CHKDSK on each to clean up any error (schedule from W7)

BOOT XP Install disk, Install XP onto one of the physical drives partitions

Configure drives as RAID in BIOS

BOOT into XP

Option C:

Similar to option B but disconnect the 2nd drive

Configure 1 drive as AHCI in BIOS

Boot with 1 individual AHCI connected drives. Run CHKDSK clean up any error (schedule from W7)

Boot XP install disk.. Install XP onto one of the physical drives partitions

Hook up 2nd drive

Configure drives as RAID in BIOS

BOOT into XP

Option D: Your sugestions

Edited by Lowcarb

Well I tried A, B, C AND D (put drive in SATA IDE Mode)

The short story is:

XP Install loads up to the point where it is configuring the install registry and hangs at

Windows XP Professional Setup

Please wait while setup initializes your Windows XP configuration

Initializing configuration...

if hit the power switch once lightly the Initializing configuration... message at teh bottom of the screen changes to

Loading information file hivesft.inf

and the machine powers off

This happens no matter how the drives are configured (raid, ide, ) and even if everything is unplugged from all usb devices and legacy support is turned off in BIOS.

The install process has scrambled things to the point where I can't boot up under IDE mode as before. All restore points have been lost so I can't to a restore from the recovery console.

There comes a time when all operating systems face retirement. This might be the case for this hardware now with XP.

Still, at least one more thing I can try if I can get back to yesterdays state.

I'm copying a backup config from drives on another machine to a flash that I'll put back on this hardware. It's several hours to get it on the flash and then several more to restore it. Perhaps I'll get the box pack to the point where I can boot XP with the drive in SATA IDE mode.

If that happens my last ditch approach (should have thought of this earlier) unless you folks suggest something more enlightening, will be

Option E:

Put boot drive on SATA IDE channel

Put some other drive on an SATA AHCI channel.

Boot into windows and let windows discover new AHCI hardware and load the drivers.

This option may or may not require HOT unplugging, plugging of the SATA AHCI device in order to get windows to load without having ahcix86.sys loaded

There comes a time when all operating systems face retirement. This might be the case for this hardware now with XP.

XP installs just fine on AMD 785G/SB710 mobos, maybe you have some defective hardware. I was able to get AHCI running but it's buggy and there isn't much improvement over IDE.

Option D: -- Have you tried Ububtu Linux? It works without install gymnastics, it's free and there's no Windows activation crap.

I got XP loading AHCI and then RAID.

There must have been something bad in the existing install (possibly through all the aborted boots and swapping between raid and ahci mode)

It eventually broke and I had to restore from a backup.

Once I had restored I was able to complete a repair install after loading the F6 drivers from usb floppy.

Getting the drives back into RAID 1 mode was less than easy with AMD RaidXpert. Probably the least intuitive utility I've touched in a long time.

Now my remaining problem is that the IDE CD drive is not recognized.

AMD / ATI SB6XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP ???
Since the actual official AMD/ATI textmode drivers only will support SB7xx chipset mainboards, you may try a version, which has been customized by me. You can get the 32bit AHCI/RAID driver version for Windows XP from >here<.

Have fun!

Fernando

AMD / ATI SB6XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP ???
Since the actual official AMD/ATI textmode drivers only will support SB7xx chipset mainboards, you may try a version, which has been customized by me. You can get the 32bit AHCI/RAID driver version for Windows XP from >here<.

Have fun!

Fernando

Very very Thanks Fernando 1 ;)

• 2 months later...

Dear Sirs,

could you please help with script/regedit actions to manually add AHCI drivers for SB700 for Windows XP Pro x64 - this wise abovementioned installation method works for XP ahci86 and not for ahci64.

Thank you very much

Serge

@ as1serge:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Important:

Changing the SATA Mode from "IDE" to "AHCI" from within a running OS is always risky and may end with the impossibility to boot into the OS again. That is why I strongly recommend to get the AHCI drivers installed from scratch by doing a fresh install of the Windows OS.

If you want to try the risky way nevertheless, you should backup all important data, before you start doing it.

Here is the hopefully successful procedure how to switch from IDE to AHCI Mode while running Windows XP x64 with an SB7xx ATI Southbridge system:

1. Download the actual ATI RAID driver or >this< already prepared 64bit ATI driver and unzip it.
  2. Copy the file named "ahcix64.sys" of the just downloaded package into the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS directory.
  3. Import the following CODE text into your registry:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_1002&cc_0106]
    "Service"="ahcix64"
    "ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix64]
    "Type"=dword:00000001
    "Start"=dword:00000000
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "Tag"=dword:00000021
    "ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\ahcix64.sys"
    "Group"="SCSI Miniport"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix64\Parameters\PnpInterface]
    "5"=dword:00000001

4. Reboot, enter directly the BIOS and switch the SATA Controller settings from "IDE" to "AHCI" Mode.
  5. Reboot (finger crossed).

You may try it at own risk.

Good luck!

Fernando

EDIT: There was a mistake within the procedure I have described above. I am sorry about that.

Please follow the updated advices.

Edited by Fernando 1

Deae Fernando 1,

Thank you very much for your reply and advice.

I’ve aleady tried to install XP x64 with AHCI drivers fed into process from diskette (having no such drive I’ve formatted USB flesh like one) but although x86 and x64 drivers were recognized in the process they were not installed as the system informed in the blue installation screen.

Although I own a genuine XP x64 disk I have no good practice to integrate drivers in a self-made copy with nLite or similar programs so I downloaded some hack image were SATA drivers were in the package as they said but in the installation process in primary installation blue screen Setup said that it could not load ahci86 driver (I have another partition were 32 bit Windows 7 is installed in AHCI mode – maybe it was recognized by Setup).

I tried to follow another instruction to install AHCI driver on preinstalled OS x64 with sb700 ahci driver but it didn’t work

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Ahci-Suppor...s-Installations

Well, now I”ve tried your method (also cleaned with regedit keys created by the above mentioned instruction).

I have no WINDOWS\WOW64\ directory but I have SysWOW64 with sub DRIVERS directory were I have put ahci driver but after rebooting in AHCI mode still BSD and reboot… 

I have an info about vendor and subdevice that were crucial in the above mention method – maybe something have to be amended in your script also

Vendor 1002h ATI Technologies Inc

Device 4390h SB700 SATA Controller [iDE mode]

Subsystem Vendor 1043h ASUSTeK Computer Inc

Subsystem Device 82EFh

Command 0107h I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster, System Errors

Status 0230h Has Capabilities List, Supports 66MHz, Medium Timing

Revision 00h

Header Type 00h

Bus Latency Timer 40h

Self test 00h Self test not supported

Cache line size 64 Bytes (16 DWords)

PCI Class 01h Storage

PCI Class Type 1018Fh IDE (ATA)

DeviceDesc AMD SATA Controller(Native IDE Mode)

LocationInformation PCI bus 0, device 17, function 0

Capabilities 0

HardwareID PCI\VEN_1002DEV_4390SUBSYS_82EF1043REV_00

Dear Fernando 1 what could you advise to do now – please help me – you’re almost my only hope…

Thank you

Serge