Integration of AMD / ATI SB7XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP

MikeD

Sorry to bump, Fernando, but is the procedure much different than the Intel Drivers procedure? (also see my edit above)

The textmode driver procedure itself is rather similar, but for some nForce chipsets it is needed to additionally integrate the nForce SATA driver as PnP driver.

Furthermore there is no All-In-One textmode driver, which is usable with all nForce chipsets.

Following Fernando 1's advice, I made 3 new folders on my root C:\, drivers, xpcd, and iso. Redownloaded a fresh copy of the 32 bit drivers from post #234 and extracted them into c:\drivers. Put my XP CD into my computer, booted up nLite and had it rip the CD to C:\xpcd. I then went through the process, did not use any old session data, inserted the 32 bit driver into nLite in text mode. Then I made the ISO and burned it to a CD with ImgBurn. Still exact same thing. BSOD 0x0000007E after the first part of the text mode xp setup (After it loads all the drivers with the text on the bottom). I'm sure I'm doing it right I just don't get why it wont work for this computer.

Other things I've tried:

Removing the hard drive from the laptop to eliminate the possibility of a faulty hard drive, and running xp install setup. Still get BSOD 0x0000007E at the same place.

Swapping out the ram with ram from another computer. Same thing, BSOD 0x0000007E at the same place.

Attached screenshots from my latest nLite session and the last session.ini.

/headdesk

post-373574-0-22028500-1359579118_thumb.

post-373574-0-11320500-1359579119_thumb.

post-373574-0-13308600-1359579120_thumb.

post-373574-0-02897100-1359579121_thumb.

post-373574-0-10662300-1359579122_thumb.

post-373574-0-07635500-1359579123_thumb.

post-373574-0-11596000-1359579124_thumb.

post-373574-0-01930500-1359579125_thumb.

post-373574-0-06826900-1359579126_thumb.

post-373574-0-26338800-1359579127_thumb.

LAST SESSION.INI

@ manticmage:

Thanks for your detailed report.

The Stop: 0x0000007E BSOD is typical for the presence of a wrong textmode driver within the media you are booting off.

Since you have integrageted the correct AMD AHCI driver for Windows XP, I suspect, that the XP CD you have used as source, may be not as clean as you have thought.

Please look into the i386 folder of the XP CD. Is there a file named WINNT.SIF?

If, yes, it is not an original (= untouched) XP CD.

@ manticmage:

Thanks for your detailed report.

The Stop: 0x0000007E BSOD is typical for the presence of a wrong textmode driver within the media you are booting off.

Since you have integrageted the correct AMD AHCI driver for Windows XP, I suspect, that the XP CD you have used as source, may be not as clean as you have thought.

Please look into the i386 folder of the XP CD. Is there a file named WINNT.SIF?

If, yes, it is not an original (= untouched) XP CD.

Sorry it took me a few days to reply. There was no WINNT.SIF file in my i386 folder on my XP disc. To eliminate the possibility of my source disc not being clean, I torrented an "untouched" copy of XP. I then integrated the 32 bit driver into that copy of windows and I got the same stop error code 0x0000007e. I really don't know what else to do.

@ manticmage:

Maybe your optical drive resp.its SATA connection is causing your troubles.

Have you ever tried to boot the XP image off an USB Flash Drive?

Just another idea:

Please open the "Storage Controllers" section of your Win7 Device Manger and let me know the content.

@ manticmage:

Maybe your optical drive resp.its SATA connection is causing your troubles.

Have you ever tried to boot the XP image off an USB Flash Drive?

Just another idea:

Please open the "Storage Controllers" section of your Win7 Device Manger and let me know the content.

I have tried with a USB flash drive and get the same result.

The Storage Controllers in Win 7 list:

Storage Controllers

|

|-AAY7MI5L IDE

Hardware ID: pci\ven_1103&dev_1720&subsys_656cfa89&rev_01

I looked it up and it is apparently HighPoint Tech's RocketRAID 1720 controller, guessing for the DVD drive? Seems strange to have 2 SATA controller on the same laptop.

I got the drivers on their website and integrated them into a fresh copy of XP along with the 32 bit AMD controller driver, burned it and got the same thing. :(

Fernando 1, thanks a lot for trying to help me out with this. You've gone above what was expected. Thinking about giving up on this, but I just want XP on this laptop. :(

Thank you.

The Storage Controllers in Win 7 list:

Storage Controllers|

|-AAY7MI5L IDE

Hardware ID: pci\ven_1103&dev_1720&subsys_656cfa89&rev_01

I looked it up and it is apparently HighPoint Tech's RocketRAID 1720 controller, guessing for the DVD drive? Seems strange to have 2 SATA controller on the same laptop.

I got the drivers on their website and integrated them into a fresh copy of XP along with the 32 bit AMD controller driver, burned it and got the same thing. :(

The original textmode driver offered by Highpoint for the RocketRAID 1720 is not easy to use resp. to get it integrated correctly into a Windows XP image.

That is why I have modified it just for being usable with Windows XP.

You can download this modified version from >here<.

Edited by Fernando 1

The original textmode driver offered by Highpoint for the RocketRAID 1720 is not easy to use resp. to get it integrated correctly into a Windows XP image.

That is why I have modified it just for being usable with Windows XP.

You can download this modified version from >here<.

Thanks so much for modifying this driver for me! Unfortunately whenever I integrate the driver into a CD I get to the Press any key to boot from CD... press enter and it says Setup is starting then reboots the computer. I put the image on a USB drive using WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 beta and at the start of setup I get the follow error message:

Line 15467 of the INF file \i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

:wacko:

Thanks so much for modifying this driver for me! Unfortunately whenever I integrate the driver into a CD I get to the Press any key to boot from CD... press enter and it says Setup is starting then reboots the computer. I put the image on a USB drive using WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 beta and at the start of setup I get the follow error message:

Line 15467 of the INF file \i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Please open the file named txtsetup.sif, which is within the i386 folder of your nLited XP CD, and post the text of the line 15467 und of some lines before and after. If you should not be able to find the related text, please send the complete txtsetup.sif file via eMail (fernando.uno@gmail.com).

Line 15467: sparrow = "Adaptec AHA-151X/AHA-152X/AIC-6X60 SCSI Adapter"

Here's a chunk of the surrounding code starting with line 15464:

[SCSI]
ahcix86 = "AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller-x86 platform"
= "RocketRAID 172x SATA Controller for Windows XP"
sparrow = "Adaptec AHA-151X/AHA-152X/AIC-6X60 SCSI Adapter"
aha154x = "Adaptec AHA-154X/AHA-164X SCSI Host Adapter"
aic78xx = "Adaptec AHA-294X/AHA-394X/AIC-78XX SCSI Controller"
aic78u2 = "Adaptec AHA-294XU2/AIC-7890 SCSI Controller"
adpu160m = "Adaptec AIC-789X/AHA-3960 Ultra160 PCI SCSI Card"
afcnt = "Agilent HHBA-510x PCI Fibre Channel Controller"
dpti2o = "Adaptec 2000S/3000S Ultra160 SCSI RAID Controller"
afc9xxx = "Adaptec AFC-9210G PCI 64-bit/66MHz Fibre Channel 2Gbit Controller"
asc3550 = "Advansys 3550 Ultra Wide SCSI Host Adapter"
asc3350p = "Advansys ABP460 PCMCIA SCSI Host Adapter"
abp480n5 = "Advansys ABP480 CardBus SCSI Host Adapter"
asc = "Advansys SCSI Host Adapter"
amsint = "AMD PCI SCSI Controller/Ethernet Adapter"
mraid35x = "AMI MegaRaid RAID Controller"
cpqarray = "Compaq Drive Array"
cpqfcalm = "Compaq Fibre Channel Host Controller"
cpqarry2 = "Compaq Smart Array Controller"
cpqcissm = "Compaq Smart Array 5300 Controller"
lp6nds35 = "Emulex LP6000 Fibre Channel Host Adapters"
cd20xrnt = "IBM Portable PCMCIA CD-ROM Drive"
ipsraidn = "IBM ServeRAID Adapter"
nfrd960 = "IBM ServeRAID Adapter"

Line 15467: sparrow = "Adaptec AHA-151X/AHA-152X/AIC-6X60 SCSI Adapter"

Here's a chunk of the surrounding code starting with line 15464:

[SCSI]
= "RocketRAID 172x SATA Controller for Windows XP"

Thanks for posting the related part of the txtsetup.sif file.

According to my knowledge the wrong entry is within the linie above line 15467.

The correct text should look like this:

"[sCSI]

rr172x = "RocketRAID 172x SATA Controller for Windows XP"

Please do the following:

1. Open the txtsetup.sif file, which is within the i386 folder of the XP directory, which has been processed by nLite (C:\XPCD or similar).
  2. Open the txtsetup.sif with the Editor (notepad.exe), go to the line containing the wrong entry " = "RocketRAID 172x SATA Controller for Windows XP" and add the missing "rr172x" as I have posted before in fat letters/digits. The related line should now look like this:
    rr172x = "RocketRAID 172x SATA Controller for Windows XP"

Then save the modified txtsetup.sif file.

3. Start nLite, navigate to the XP directory containing the modified txtsetup.sif file and let it just create a new ISO file.
  4. Recreate a bootable USB flash drive containing the just modified XP image.
  5. Boot of the USB flash drive.

Good luck!

Fernando

Thanks, that got it past that error but it's now back to the 0x0000007e bsod. Starting to think it's not worth my (and your) time to mess with it anymore. :(
That would be your decision. Since I am very curious to find out the reason for the issue, I don't like to give up unless there is no reasonable chance to succeed.

On the other hand I don't have many ideas left about what to try.

Regards

Fernando

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm new here and have just registered because I've been following this thread and am in need of advice.

I have recently bought a Samsung 840 SSD and after migrating my old OS disk to the new drive, I noticed the Samsung Magician software said I didn't have AHCI enabled. Anyway, long story short, after changing my BIOS and a few BSOD's I found this site. I have manage to slipsteam an XP disc with SP3 and the drivers Fernando very kindly posted (Thank you very much!) and I am now able to boot with the AHCI setting in BIOS.

In Properties > Hardware for the disk it says: 'Samsung SSD 840 Series SCSI Disk Device' and has the following info in Location: Bus Number 0, Target ID 3, LUN 0

In my device manager there is no entry for a SATA controller in the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers but I do now have a SCSI and RAID controllers entry that contains AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller and a AMD RAID Console. Therefore, I'm assuming I'm running in AHCI mode.

However, the Samsung Magician no longer recognises the SSD and I'm wondering if I did something wrong.

My mobo is a MSI MS-7720 with a AMD Zacate E350D, dual core and Hudson D1 chipset.

Thanks in advance!