Integration of AMD / ATI SB7XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP

MikeD

The newest wxp pro iso installed OK into virtual box with no new drivers except those from Fernando's links.

Very encouraging, thanks a million so far.

Am a bit skittish about installing it onto the new HD, so a question first, please.

Can i just install the other drivers from the .inf files when win xp is up and running?

That is, amdhub30.inf, amdxhc.inf, and any others that are needed?

Edit:

The installation onto the new HD went perfectly with nothing but the driver linked in Fernando 1's post.

Just held my breath, crossed my fingers, and away we went. :-)

After re-plugging in the original hard drive, the default boot is to win 7.

Tapping <ESC> gives the option to boot from SATA 0, which is win 7, or SATA 1, which is win xp.

Now will go about the business of installing the drivers for the rest of the hardware.

I must quit this project for a while, but still would like to know, can i install the new drivers from their .inf files?

I have never installed nor updated drivers manually.

Thanks a million, Fernando and sp0iledBrAT. You are heroes. I am enourmously grateful.

If there are any details or pictures I can post to help other readers, just say what they are and it will be done. :-)

Edited by login123

Sp0iLedBrAt:

Thanks for your assistance, which helped login123 to solve his problem. I haven't seen his posts until now.

@ login123:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

It is fine, that you succeeded with the XP installation in AHCI mode using the special AMD AHCI driverpack I have customized for this purpose.

I must quit this project for a while, but still would like to know, can i install the new drivers from their .inf files?
Yes, the installation is very easy: Run the Device Manager, which will show the missing drivers by yellow marks. Then point to the INF files of the downloaded AMD chipset drivers. The hardware detection will find and install the appropriate drivers. Once all yellow marks are gone, everything will work fine.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

• 2 weeks later...

This project was successful. Win 7 and win xp now boot from separate hard drives by selecting them from the BIOS boot menu.

Many, many thanks to those who helped.

The step by step process and links can be found at the HP forums: HERE in post 35.

I'll post that here if it will make things easier and someone will tell me where it belongs.

Edited by login123

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Fernando. Thank you for your work but it seems your links in the first page are dead. Can i ask if you can update your post with the latest sata drivers for XP from AMD, found here - http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx version 12.10. I want to install XP on a HP 655 laptop and i need to integrate the sata drivers. I try'd to make a package with all "AMD AHCI Driver" for all of the SB7,8,9xx series but it seems i have failed and integrated Win7 Sata drivers also and geting the "the file amd_sata.sys could not be found" error. So can you please update your package with all of amd sata drivers for XP and update your first post please? Ah and btw one final question. Can amd sata drivers and intel sata drivers co-exist in the same iso? Thank you.

So can you please update your package with all of amd sata drivers for XP and update your first post please?
Although working download links to modified versions of the most actual AMD AHCI/RAID drivers for Windows XP (32/64bit) have been already presented by me in the post No 234 of this thread, I have just updated my first post too.
Can amd sata drivers and intel sata drivers co-exist in the same iso?
It may work, but generally I do not recommend to integrate more than 1 textmode driver, if you are using nLite.

If you want to create an All-In-One XP CD containing a lot of different textmode drivers, I recommend to use the "Mass Storage DriverPack" and the tool DriverPacks Base for the integration procedure.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

• 2 months later...

Okay I registered because I am pulling my hair out and need some help please! I am trying to install Windows XP on a Sony Vaio VPCEL22FX. It's Chipset is the AMD A50M, and it's southbridge is AMD SB800. I have slip streamed the latest drivers from Fernando 1, the ones posted in post #234 and I get a BSOD at end of text mode Windows XP setup. For some reason these drivers do not seem to be working for my computer. Please help! Attached is my last session.ini from nLite and a screenshot from CPU-Z with my Chipset information.

post-373574-0-83315800-1359529912_thumb.

LAST SESSION.INI

Edited by manticmage

@ manticmage:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

I am trying to install Windows XP on a Sony Vaio VPCEL22FX. It's Chipset is the AMD A50M, and it's southbridge is AMD SB800. I have slip streamed the latest drivers from Fernando 1, the ones posted in post #234 and I get a BSOD at end of text mode Windows XP setup. For some reason these drivers do not seem to be working for my computer.
There are at least 2 possible reasons for the BSOD you got:
  1. You didn't use a clean (untouched) XP CD as source.
    It is absolutely necessary to start the nLite processing by using an original XP CD with integrated SP2 or SP3 as source. Don't load any preset (Last_session.ini of a previous nLite processing).
  2. You inserted a wrong SATA driver.
    If you are running any Windows OS on your laptop, please run the Device Manager, open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - "Storge Controllers" sections and post the names of the listed SATA/AHCI/RAID Controllers.

Regards

Fernando

Thanks so much for your replies! I definitely used an untouched source of my Windows XP Disc, inserted the disc, selected it with nLite, it ripped it to a folder on my desktop. As for the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller It is listed in Windows 7 as "AMD SATA Controller" the Hardware ID is PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&SUBSYS_908D104D&REV_40. By the way, frustratingly there is no AHCI/IDE setting in the bios on this laptop. I have attached a screenshot of my device manager. Thanks!

post-373574-0-81283400-1359567786_thumb.

Haven't checked Fernando's Package (in post#234) but I found this -

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=5296274&swItem=vc-108693-1&prodNameId=5296279&swEnvOID=4051&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=3

Unpacked using WinRAR, WinZIP, or Universal Extractor gives a "Deployment" Folder with Win7 and XP folders inside with TXTSETUP.OEM for both x86 and x64 for each. The INF/CAT/SYS files are inside them. Snippets -

; ahcix86.INF
; Copyright 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
;
[Version]
signature="$Windows NT$"
Class=SCSIAdapter
ClassGUID={4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
CatalogFile=ahcix86.cat
Provider=%ATI%
DriverVer=06/08/2012, 3.3.1540.33

[ATI.NTx86.5.1]
%NapaDesc%=Napa_Inst,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&CC_0106

[Strings] 

; *******Localizable Strings*******
ATI= "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."
Desc_x860= "AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller Driver"
NapaDesc= "AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller"

(edit - did download Fernando to "kind of" compare)

HTH (someone...) SEEMS to be (somewhat) the same except "newer"?

EDIT!

OUCH!!!! You Integrated them without using the option of Text-Mode in nLite!

Double-ouch! (see Fernando post - I thought it was very much same)

Edited by submix8c

I definitely used an untouched source of my Windows XP Disc, inserted the disc, selected it with nLite, it ripped it to a folder on my desktop.
It is not a good idea to use the desktop or a desktop folder for the nLite processing.

It is far better to create 2 special folders within the root of your partition C, one of them as nLite processing folder (example: C:\XPCD) and the other for the drivers you want to integrate (example: C:\drivers).

Reasons:

1. The path to the files, which are within any personal folder, is too long (with too many digits).

2. NLite may integrate absolutely unneeded files, which are within your personal folders.

As for the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller It is listed in Windows 7 as "AMD SATA Controller" the Hardware ID is PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&SUBSYS_908D104D&REV_40.
The 32bit AMD AHCI driver, which I have linked within the post No 234, should work 100% for your system.

Sorry to bump, Fernando, but is the procedure much different than the Intel Drivers procedure? (also see my edit above)

edit/note - Plan on "hacking" an old Dell for additional SATA/RAID modes (nVidia drivers) and want to be sure of procedure, having never done it. I would have "assumed" it would be the same.

Edited by submix8c