Integration of AMD / ATI SB7XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP

MikeD

• 2 months later...

Installation on an existing XP worked well for me :thumbup

Thank you guys for your fantastic work and especially to Fernando, you saved me hours and headaches !

It's incredible that AMD doesn't provide any packaged driver.

I'm using Windows XP pro 32b

My motherbard is a Asus M4A785TD-M EVO

785G chipset

SB710 southbridge

I changed SATA configuration first controller to AHCI

and second stayed EDI for my cdrom drive that doesn't like AHCI, as far as I know

After first reboot after changing bios, windows said there is a new PCI device hardware, then I chose manually the "unknown manufacturer" one.

It's a bit disturbing, because everything seems to work fine, so one doesn't understand why it's asking to select driver.

After a quick bench, it looks slightly faster than EDI.

Thanks

Antonio

Edited by pizzabiere

• 1 month later...

Fernando, I want to report in with success using your AMD SBxxx v3.3.1540.26 pack to enable AHCI on my HP DV2 notebook with SB600. I slipstreamed it into XP Pro SP3. This notebook actually ships locked into Legacy IDE mode (no BIOS option) but I've discovered that installing AMD AHCI/RAID driver bypasses the BIOS settings. Linux does this too.

Also as you can see RAIDXpert util allows configuration and displays information.

5db0e5204599463.jpg

6c0998204599751.jpg 9e5fd7204599755.jpg

BTW I am also grateful for your nForce efforts. :)

Edited by swaaye

@ swaaye:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

I want to report in with success using your AMD SBxxx v3.3.1540.26 pack to enable AHCI on my HP DV2 notebook with SB600. I slipstreamed it into XP Pro SP3. This notebook actually ships locked into Legacy IDE mode (no BIOS option) but I've discovered that installing AMD AHCI/RAID driver bypasses the BIOS settings.
This is very good news for me and for all users with an AMD SB600 system.

Thank you very much for your important feedback!

Regards

Fernando

Do you have a AMD AHCI/RAID driver pack for Vista/7 that has the Device ID for SB600?
No, I don't have such driverpack ready, but it would not be a big problem for me to build it.

I am not sure, that it will work, because Vista and Win7 need another kind of AHCI AHCI driver (amd_sata.sys) than XP (ahcix86.sys). Nevertheless I would modify the associated INF file for you, if you want to try it. Which Vista/Win7 version are you running (32bit or 64bit)?

Have you already tried to use the modded XP driver pack under Vista or Win7?

Generally you have to force the installation from within the Device Manager (right click onto the AHCI Controller > "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my computer ...." > "Let me pick ...." > "Have Disk" > point to the INF file of the modded driverpack).

By the way: This discussion is totally off-topic. You should better write me a PM.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello

the latest amd chipset driver pkg v12.8 has amd_sata.sys instead of ahcix86.sys

is that the correct file to integrate with nlite? the os is xp32 sp3 vlk

i've tested on on VirtualBox only to find an err during text mode setup, saying amd_sata.sys couldn't be found

i checked in the xp source for the files, all sata driver files from the amd chipset driver pkg (from folder SB7xx/AHCI_svr/XP) do exist

so what's the problem?

thx

@ bun:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

the latest amd chipset driver pkg v12.8 has amd_sata.sys instead of ahcix86.sys

is that the correct file to integrate with nlite? the os is xp32 sp3 vlk

No, the AHCI drivers named amd_sata.sys cannot be used with Windows XP. The SB7xx AHCI driver you found within the AMD Chipset driver package 12-8 only supports Windows Server 2003 (= NTx86.5.2) and not Windows XP (=NTx86.5.1)

The driver folder is named "AHCI_svr" and that means, that it is just for Server Operating systems.

You should integrate the 32bit driver, which is linked within this thread.

Regards

Fernando

@ all:

Here are the links to the latest 32/64bit AMD AHCI/RAID drivers dated 12/29/2011, which have been modified by me to make them usable with all southbridges from SB6xx up:

>32bit AMD SBxxx Textmode Driver v3.3.1540.29 for XP mod by Fernando<

>64bit AMD SBxxx Textmode Driver v3.3.1540.29 for XPx64 mod by Fernando<

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

ouch, that's what 'svr' means :)

i've tested your files, it works. thx

btw, i figured amd ahci drivers are included in raid drivers, maybe just because raid does use ahci

but why amd doesn't include txtsetup.oem for sb6xx & sb7xx, only for sb8xx? and how did you figure out the hardware id in your txtsetup.oem?

thx

Edited by bun

btw, i figured amd ahci drivers are included in raid drivers, maybe just because raid does use ahci
Yes, the driver is an AHCI one, but it seems to be managed by the AMD RAID Controller.
but why amd doesn't include txtsetup.oem for sb6xx & sb7xx, only for sb8xx?
You should better ask AMD, but not me.

Same thing: Why does AMD offer AHCI drivers for Windows XP within their AMD Chipset Driverpacks 12-8, although these AHCI drivers cannot be used with Windows XP?

and how did you figure out the hardware id in your txtsetup.oem?
I took them from the ahcix86.inf files of the SB6xx and SB7xx drivers.

Same thing: Why does AMD offer AHCI drivers for Windows XP within their AMD Chipset Driverpacks 12-8, although these AHCI drivers cannot be used with Windows XP?

right, the folder named 'xp' in the achi path was what convinced me

one last thing fernando, i'm interested in your opinion on this issue of amd ahci driver being inferior to vista & later driver in term of performance

i know it's off-topic, i won't prolong it

thx

one last thing fernando, i'm interested in your opinion on this issue of amd ahci driver being inferior to vista & later driver in term of performance
Simple answer: As all other chipset manufacturers AMD doesn't care much about outdated chipsets and old Operating Systems.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I have an HP p7-1235 desktop. Win 7 installed by HP on a 1 tb SATA drive. The specs are attached.

I have been trying to get it to dual boot windows XP 32 bit from a separate 1 tb SATA hard drive.

Have made several nLite ISOs. One of them gets as far as the blue screen in this picture.

th_stop2a_sm.jpg

Have not a clue what to do next. :blink: Brain is rapidly turning to mush.

I have been slipstreaming drivers from this site: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#4 ... same drivers as here I think: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/integrated_xp-32.aspx#2 .

The last session ini is attached.

Fernando 1, will the last set of modded drivers you posted work for this purpose?

Also, to install win xp to the new HDD, should I start the computer in IDE or AHCI mode? From reading some of the previous posts in this topic, it seems that AHCI mode is the way to go, but I'm not sure. The choices are IDE, AHCI and RAID.

Thanks much for any help you can offer.

Last Session_8.ini

p7-1235_Speccy_ed.txt

Edited by login123

ahcix86.inf, ahcix86.cat, ahcix86.sys, txtsetup.oem, ahcix86.

These are the names of the files (drivers) that you need in order to install AMD AHCI on Windows XP. (look at post #234 and check the contents of the package). Unfortunately, I don't see ahcix86.inf in your Last Session.ini; I see amdhub30.inf and amdxhc.inf which are (if I'm not mistaken) USB 3.0 drivers, so that's probably the reason for failing.

So, download the package a few posts up, unpack it and integrate it into nLite (in textmode). That should do the trick. And yes, change the BIOS settings to AHCI.

Cheers