is technet subscription right for me?

F1refly

i always prefer the full version and with 3 computers, a laptop or when fixing some friends computers. would require me to buy alot of license keys. considering the price of W7 full may be around $200. i wonder if getting the technet subscription for $350 would suit me better? i know their for evaluations but are basically non expire license keys even if my subscription expires right?

since i tend to reinstall alot as well as use them on several computers, it would save me money to do this wouldnt it?

talking about illegal activities is not allowed here.

you know that what you are talking about is not allowed by microsoft and we will not help you with this.

He is not talking about anything illegal. He is just asking what option would be the best for him.

Cheers ;)

i always prefer the full version and with 3 computers, a laptop or when fixing some friends computers. would require me to buy alot of license keys.

Any route that involves not actually purchasing additional licenses for these additional machines is (most likely) illegal, and he is most certainly looking for an alternative.

(edit: 'most likely,' because i suppose someone could give you a license.)

Edited by iamtheky

talking about illegal activities is not allowed here.

you know that what you are talking about is not allowed by microsoft and we will not help you with this.

He is not talking about anything illegal. He is just asking what option would be the best for him.

Cheers ;)

the option that he is asking about is not allowed by microsoft.

it is in a sense the same as pirating windows.

well if you have a technet subscription and they willingly give you various keys for using on various computers then what exactly is illegal if their allowing me to activate each key for each computer?

They do not list a time limit nor computer limit for subscription that i have seen...if you know where its listed in the terms of service then why not just point it out? as perhaps i understand it wrong.

i read it as it says:

INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. If you comply with this agreement, for each license you acquire, you have the rights below.

a. General.

Single User License. If you acquire a single user license, one user may install and use copies of the software on any of your devices.

so does that mean any 1 of my devices for each serial or all serials for one devince?..which doesnt make sense

further it says:

In addition, you may not:

work around the technical limitations in the software,

reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation,

make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation,

publish the software for others to copy,

rent, lease or lend it,

use it for commercial software hosting services, or

disclose the results of any benchmark tests of the software to any third party without Microsoft's prior written approval.

so i read it as saying i can use it all i want as long as i follow those guidlines, as long as i do, i'm not doing anything illegal. If others think different then i'm all ears but i hardly see how this is a discussion of piracy?

the option that he is asking about is not allowed by microsoft.

it is in a sense the same as pirating windows.

pirating it is illegally bypassing license activations. i'm not bypassing anything, i'm paying for a subscription of licenses that apparantly has no limit on how many keys i'm allowed to have. from what i can tell anyway.

from my understanding of its features page, i can evaluate any windows OS for as long as i want. Now if theres a computer limit...then just show it to me, dont accuse me of pirating.

Edited by F1refly

i'm paying for a subscription of licenses that apparantly has no limit on how many keys i'm allowed to have.

Microsoft has no such thing (unlimited usage/unlimited installs/whatever)

then whats this reffering to then? so is there anyone here that actually has a technet subscription that can explain it to me, cause so far the responses dont correlate with what i'm readong on the website. it says i can evaluate it as long as i like with no limits....so as my questions stands, is there a computer limit, i assume theres a user limit as it says single user license but feel free to clarify.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscri...s/ms788692.aspx

Full-version softwarewith no time limits.

Evaluate full-version commercial software products like Windows 7 Release Candidate without time or feature limits, including these titles:

i always prefer the full version and with 3 computers, a laptop or when fixing some friends computers. would require me to buy alot of license keys. considering the price of W7 full may be around $200. i wonder if getting the technet subscription for $350 would suit me better? i know their for evaluations but are basically non expire license keys even if my subscription expires right?

since i tend to reinstall alot as well as use them on several computers, it would save me money to do this wouldnt it?

First, licenses from Technet and MSDN are for non-production and non-personal machine usage - MSDN licenses are for code and dev testing of your code on Microsoft's products, and Technet subscriptions are for evaluation of software in a non-Production, non-Personal environment (there's also a Volume License Administrator version, but that's more an add-on to a volume license agreement than a true Technet subscription).

Meaning, if you're planning on buying a subscription to get the software for personal use on your machines, you've violated the EULA that you will have to agree to for either to get the software. Second, you can run MSDN or Technet software on YOUR machines only, and ONLY FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES, not for everyday use, and NOT on any machines that are not going to be actively used by you (aka your friends' machines), that is also in violation of the technet or MSDN EULA that you'll have to agree to when you sign up for and purchase the service - again, I omit the Volume License Administrator Technet subscription, as it's not relevant to your situation (you'd already have to have a volume license software agreement with MS, which would have already obviated your need for a technet subscription to answer your questions).

Software from an MSDN or Technet subscription have both the software EULA to consider, but also the limitations on top of the software EULA that are put forth in the subscription EULA (which, again, will forbid personal, non-test/non-development usage, and forbid usage of the software and license keys from the sub on any machines, physical or virtual, that are not explicitly under YOUR control and used by YOU directly. You really, REALLY need to understand what "Evaluate" and "only" mean, and what the statement "only the licensed subscriber may use the included products" mean to truly understand the EULA. If what you think is possible with a Technet plus subscription was actually possible, why would Microsoft sell any product at all when you could get around it for $350 a year?

Also, directly from the Technet "compare" page, the answer to your question(s):

Software included in TechNet Plus Subscriptions is provided with rights to evaluate. Licensed users may install included content on any number of devices for evaluation purposes only. Only the licensed subscriber may use the included products. Please see the product use rights or license terms for TechNet Plus Subscriptions for more details.

First, licenses from Technet and MSDN are for non-production and non-personal machine usage - MSDN licenses are for code and dev testing of your code on Microsoft's products, and Technet subscriptions are for evaluation of software in a non-Production, non-Personal environment (there's also a Volume License Administrator version, but that's more an add-on to a volume license agreement than a true Technet subscription).

Meaning, if you're planning on buying a subscription to get the software for personal use on your machines, you've violated the EULA that you will have to agree to for either to get the software. Second, you can run MSDN or Technet software on YOUR machines only, not for machines that are not going to be actively used by you (aka your friends' machines), that is also in violation of the technet or MSDN EULA that you'll have to agree to when you sign up for and purchase the service - again, I omit the Volume License Administrator Technet subscription, as it's not relevant to your situation (you'd already have to have a volume license software agreement with MS, which would have already obviated your need for a technet subscription to answer your questions).

Software from an MSDN or Technet subscription have both the software EULA to consider, but also the limitations on top of the software EULA that are put forth in the subscription EULA (which, again, will forbid personal, non-test/non-development usage, and forbid usage of the software and license keys from the sub on any machines, physical or virtual, that are not explicitly under YOUR control and used by YOU directly.

thanks. finally nice to see someone that can respond appropriatly yet still make it clear.

though the information on that site to the average joe computer user seems a bit confusing if not almost hypocritical in outward appearance since they offer unlimited usage ..etc without actually stopping people from using the licenses on personal machines as i doubt too many people looking at the site would bother to at least "try" to read the EULA like i did. If you just read their "pitch" it sounds great. "evaluation" becomes kind of vague word when its used with "no limitations" in the same sentence.

However to the other responders treating me like a pirate, at LEAST i had the decency to ask unlike some on other forums who apparantly use it for the personal purposes i was asking about without a care in the world. In fact i was informed from a user at the tomhardware forums about just getting a technet sub instead of single key retail and is why i investigated further. there was no reason to be vague or give negative attitudes about my inquirey.

anyway, thanks, i can move on now.

cluberti, thanks for responding first, after i just wasted time looking for that quote you have.

and i did not mean to make you feel bad, it's just the way you phrased your questions.

many people do this for what you wanted to and knowingly break the EULA in order to save money, which is way i said that it is in a way similar to piracy.

you will find this info just about anywhere that talks about technet which is why i thought you had an idea about it.

i am sorry if i offended you.

Edited by ripken204