Tracking registry cleaners

Wrayth

Hi all,

Need some help, I would like to build a script file that will make numerous changes to things like folder view preferences, task bar settings etc. I would run this after my initial logon to a machine. So wanting to modify the current user settings.

So I'd like to find a way to track all the changes that get made as I run through the list of things I want in the script.

I tried running Process Monitor, but it tracks way too many changes for me to find the needles in the hay stack.

My initial google and MSFN searches haven't found a good solution for me.

Thanks.

Regshot 2 Unicode. It will make a redo reg or inf file for you and it's free. There's one here somewhere in the nLite addons section. Just extract it from the addon. The original website is no more.

I tried running Process Monitor, but it tracks way too many changes for me to find the needles in the hay stack.

ProcMon and RegMon (one of its parents) could 'drop' certain events, meaning that it is theoretically possibile to lose track of some changes you made. This problem exists for all realtime capture utilities.

Snapshot utilities, which I believe includes RegShot (already suggested by -X-), are what you want. It simply makes a comparison of the registry data before and after and presumably creates a ready to use 'patch' file.

If you have no such utility there is the classic (but manual ;-) method ...

0) ***

1) export registry to text file (e.g., RegDump_A.reg)

2) make changes (only)

3) export registry to text file (e.g., RegDump_B.reg)

4) WinDiff RegDump_A.reg RegDump_B.reg

You have to collect the changes from WinDiff and piece together the registry file you want.

*** Note: it is extremely helpful to only make changes at step 2) and do nothing else. Any dialog boxes and other necessary GUI stuff that you intend on working in to make these changes, should already be open before you first save the registry. Ideally at step 2) you might only click Apply having pre-selected a color for example. This will help isolate only the registry settings you want and not clutter things up with registry settings that are consequences of clicking around windows (MRU and other housekeeping).

Whether you use WinDiff or RegShot this advice still stands. Try to do as few clicks as possible at the registry snapshot phase.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to where you can currently download it :

http://regshot.ru/20/

It's in Russian, I used google translate to be able to read it in English. When you download it, you'll want to change the language in the bottom right corner to English.

Moderator Note

For those unable to understand the language sufficiently enough to make the download, click on the button which reads Загрузить

Edited by Yzöwl
Note Added.