Purchasing Games Online

Glenn9999

What kind of experiences and things do you run into in buying games online? I'm specifically looking at sites like Steam, Direct2Drive and so forth. What kind of hoops do you have to jump through on most of them after you lay down the money? Activation? Have to have an active Internet connection? Limited installs? Other things? Any problems in dealing with such sites that I should be aware of if I were to try buying a game online?

If you look here, you will see I have had good experiences with Steam. Games are really cheap and are updated automatically. If the steam client and games are fully patched then you can play offline as well. It is not all good though as because games must launch through the steam client it just puts one more thing there that might stuff up.

steam is the only place i buy games online.

i would rather have the physics media though.

for steam some games have DRM.

but you do get unlimited installs.

Edited by ripken204

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

edit: wow I didn't realize how old this thread is.

I have no idea about drm with games, haven't buy any games lately. But my experience with Steam has been positive. They are very big and carries everything now. There are no hoops, you just pay for the game and download it immediately. As long as you can log into your steam client with your account you can download the games and play them.

Of course if you have Half Life 2 on steam you can also get other highly quality mods which are like a full game themselves, such as Insurgency.

Edited by eksasol

I have heard these stories, but I don't know how frequent it happen to people. Banning from an entire game is kind of like stealing your money to me, banning all games using the same engine is ridiculous. Everyone in your server got ban? It is possible to share the reason why you got banned? Or was it ban for no reason?

Truthfully I only play DODS on it, my favorite fps game, I could careless if they ban me from all the other games.

Edited by eksasol

I have heard these stories, but I don't know how frequent it happen to people. Banning from an entire game is kind of like stealing your money to me, banning all games using the same engine is ridiculous. Everyone in your server got ban? It is possible to share the reason why you got banned? Or was it ban for no reason?

Truthfully I only play DODS on it, my favorite fps game, I could careless if they ban me from all the other games.

I don't know if anyone else got banned but a bunch of people were kicked from the server

Edited by Zenskas