Cleartype Enable Problem

atakan_1907

Hi,

I downloaded ms cleartype utility and opened it. Works ok. But i want to add it to my unattended cd. I cant make it work from registry.

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
"FontSmoothing"="2"
"FontSmoothingOrientation"=dword:00000001
"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000002
"FontSmoothingGamma"=dword:000004b0
"CTTuneMakeSettingsDefault"=dword:00000000

this is not working.

How to i control it?

Hi,

I downloaded ms cleartype utility and opened it. Works ok. But i want to add it to my unattended cd. I cant make it work from registry.

"FontSmoothing"="2"

this is not working.

How to i control it?

Try this prefix instead ...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

I am pretty sure that modifying the registry branches for the .default user will only affect new users that are created later (after such registry modifications are entered).

Try this tweak

;Turn On ClearType font smoothing, for smoother Global logon look

"ForegroundFlashCount"=dword:00000002

;0 indicates disable font smoothing

;1 indicates standard font smoothing

;2 indicates Use ClearType font smoothing

@ Geej, That's for taskbar flashing when a window wants your attention.

I use the same key that you've tried and it works for me. Though I don't have the extra values that the cleartype fine tuner adds.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Smooth Edges Of Screen Fonts - ClearType

"FontSmoothing"="2"

Hi,

Thanks for replies. I tried all your suggestions but nothing happened.

I also used registry watch to determine the changes when ct is on and off. As we say, it depends on fontsmoothingtype. But when i set it to 2, nothing happens. Then i'm turning it from ct utility, it turns it on but nothing changes in registry.

I don't understand :unsure:

Kelsenellenelvian is probably right. I remember having trouble with small icons in start menu and my taskbar/quick launch settings not taking. I then did this (which is probably overkill but wth)...

regedit /s %SystemDrive%\Temp\merge.reg
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce /v SettingsLM /d "regedit /s %SystemDrive%\Temp\Merge.reg"
REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce /v SettingsCU /d "regedit /s %SystemDrive%\Temp\Merge.reg"

On first logon all my settings have been implemented.

Then i'm turning it from ct utility, it turns it on but nothing changes in registry.
You may need to take a reg snapshot, do your tuning, logoff and back on, take another snapshot and then compare to see the changes.

I am pretty sure that modifying the registry branches for the .default user will only affect new users that are created later (after such registry modifications are entered).
The .DEFAULT key under HKEY_USERS is actually used by the Local System user account, it has nothing to do with interactive or default users.

The NTUSER.DAT in the Default User profile (on disk, not in the registry) is the template user profile registry hive used when users log on for the first time.

Yeah!

You were right. It takes effect after reboot.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"FontSmoothing"="2"

The .DEFAULT key under HKEY_USERS is actually used by the Local System user account, it has nothing to do with interactive or default users.

The NTUSER.DAT in the Default User profile (on disk, not in the registry) is the template user profile registry hive used when users log on for the first time.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Been a while since I cracked the Russinovich book. Got to make some time (sigh).

@ Geej, That's for taskbar flashing when a window wants your attention.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake. Was meant to say along the below line & apply at T13 (Tweak meant to apply for all users)

"CTTuneMakeSettingsDefault"=dword:00000001

but open the wrong file. Not important anymore since OP already solve his problem.

:hello:

Thanks for pointing that out!

Been a while since I cracked the Russinovich book. Got to make some time (sigh).

No worries, I see this a lot due to the unfortunate naming.

OT - you know the 5th Edition of Windows Internals is out now, covering NT 6? Waiting for my copy to arrive :)