Windows Logon

luluthefirst

hi, i'm making a new Windows Logon (like Windows NT) for Windows 95(not sure)/98(SE)/ME but i need one help: when i try to change any data on HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders then when i start explorer.exe, the data restore to default :unsure:

There are four shell folder keys in your registry :

HKLM Shell Folders

HKLM User Shell Folders

HKCU Shell Folders

HKCU User Shell Folders

You could change the location of your desktop with TweakUI and monitor the registry changes with Regshot or look in the keys I have indicated.

You're doing what?!

Windows Logon Process... i've already started the interface, and the log on, and no problem.

Why did you think it's very hard? You would be stupid to say that... I know how to programming since 4 years

hey, i'm stupid or not: winlogon.png

Edited by luluthefirst

hi, i'm making a new Windows Logon (like Windows NT) for Windows 95(not sure)/98(SE)/ME but i need one help: when i try to change any data on HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders then when i start explorer.exe, the data restore to default :unsure:

What you noticed is apparently by design. I have noticed in Win9x that both of these branches ...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]

get 'reset' extremely often. I suspect there is hard code in Explorer.exe or Shell32.dll but I never ran it down to be sure.

If Tweakui does in fact allow you to change these special folder locations, then I think it only 'sticks' because Tweakui inserts itself into the startup axis in one or two places (you know, for persistent settings).