UAC/Permissions

iceangel89

i still get prompts saying i need permissions to do something even after i disabled UAC. except now i cant say allow. i noticed in Windows 7 "diaabling UAC" seems to be like just setting it to not prompt. do i need to really disable it somehow?

permissionn.th.png when deleting files

i am on Windows 7100 RC x64

Edited by iceangel89

oh ... i am the only user of the computer actually, i guess its because i formatted it and so my new OS user is not the same as the prev?

that long user is some auto generated user? i just tried deleting another folder and got the user to be "TrustedInstaller". its quite wierd cos i think i created the folder. this TrustedInstaller isit something to do with vLite? the folder i am deleting is a Windows 7 source i am using with vLite.

how can i prevent such things? i am the only user of the computer ... some spyware? i think the TrustedInstaller folder is from a win7 vlited source that vlite crashed 1/2 way.

Edited by iceangel89

You cant prevent it. It's a NTFS feature. You could take ownership of the items and then delete them but make sure you really want to do that. Go to the file/folder properties > security > advanced > owner. Replace the current owner with you(Administrators) and give it full permission.

Again, do what you want with this info. The outcome could be catastrophic if you don't know what you are doing.

Only because you are the only user, this doesn't mean you are god and make things you shouldn't do.

If it's your computer, you should be able to do anything you want with. That being said, the folder permissions are barbaric and good luck to the common user who doesn't have an inkling of what to do ... or seek help here for pete's sake. :realmad:

@iceangel89

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Add Take Ownership... to right-click
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

Copy and paste to notepad. Save as <whatever>.reg, doubleclick and hit ok to merge. Whenever you have this issue, right click on the file/folder and click "Take ownership".

At the very worst, you will need to log on with PE or dual boot and that should help also. :hello:

I've had this issue before...worse is trying to watch previous recorded tv with mediacenter after clean installing!!! Thank goodness for DRM, eh? (No, I'm kidding)

Edited by razormoon

Airbags, etc are non-intrusive. I would format Vista/Win7's partition with FAT32 if I could. I want to look where I want and delete what I want.

@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

Copy and paste to notepad. Save as <whatever>.reg, doubleclick and hit ok to merge. Whenever you have this issue, right click on the file/folder and click "Take ownership".

Well, of course you need to install Icacls.exe first, else it won't work. ;)

Edit: Oops, this is the Windows 7 section. I overlooked, so my comment doesn't apply in this case.

Edited by beats

wrong! because of people like you WinXP became the malware sling. Are you disabling your airbags, esp and other security improvements on your car?

Car? If you're refering to responsible computing your statement is quite the approach and unwarranted.

Don't drink and type..I guess.

Edited by razormoon

@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

Well, of course you need to install Icacls.exe first, else it won't work. ;)

Edit: Oops, this is the Windows 7 section. I overlooked, so my comment doesn't apply in this case.

LMAO..! I thought the same about DISM. :rolleyes:

Of course, UAC and such exists to protect your pc against - you and calling MS Support. Nothing to do with outside shenanigans...given a good AV program.

Edited by razormoon

you can't install NT6.x on a FAT32 partition, because NT6.x uses hardlinks for linking files from the WinSxS folder to the target folders and hardlinks are not available with FAT32.

Not sure thats quite true if you do a quick search you can find out how to get NT6 onto a FAT32 Partition

http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/install-w.../windows-vista/