Whats causing this low disk space

micky045

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help with this:

n4i4k9.jpg

As you can see, my D: Drive is showing as maxed out, but when I go to run the disk cleaner, it shows that there is nothing in.

28cgkd3.jpg

Can smeone advise me of the best course of action I should take, it's starting to cause warnings on my laptop.

Thanks.

Have you been saving things into the recovery partition? Typically, the recovery partition should only be big enough to fit the recovery files, so its normal for it to have very little space. It is annoying if Windows is giving you the low disk space message tho. I don't understand why HP doesn't hide the partition, since you can make the recovery media from booting into the partition anyways. Also, make sure Windows isn't trying to use that drive to put the virtual memory into it.

HP's support site has an article on how to go about fixing this so you don't get warnings for the recovery volume. However, if you just want to make the problem go away without making any real changes to your Vista machine, simply open disk management (diskmgmt.msc) and remove the drive letter for the recovery partition (it's only useful from the recovery key in the BIOS anyway, so Windows does not need to "see" it as a drive letter at all).

HP's support site has an article on how to go about fixing this so you don't get warnings for the recovery volume. However, if you just want to make the problem go away without making any real changes to your Vista machine, simply open disk management (diskmgmt.msc) and remove the drive letter for the recovery partition (it's only useful from the recovery key in the BIOS anyway, so Windows does not need to "see" it as a drive letter at all).

If this is done, you can't make the recovery media from the Start Menu anymore. But he should be able to from the partition itself.

• 2 weeks later...

This is caused by the Windows backup utility pointing to the D: drive by default. HP and Compaq make the recovery partition the D drive, so Windows doesn't know any better. You can change this in the advanced settings under Backup, have it point to the e: drive for discs or any other drive of your choice. Burn your recovery media, if you try to boot to the recovery partition, you may run into corruption.

That partition is for storing the manufacturer's recovery disc image files...

You can make your recovery disks and delete that partition if you don't need it anymore.

There are a few freeware application like EASEUS Partition Manager or Partition Wizard Home Edition that can do the job without having to format the entire hard drive.

Edited by ajua

• 1 month later...

I had this problem and found that my laptop was saving a copy of every photo that I'd added - even those deleted from elsewhere.

Look under: computed/users/****/appdata/local/microsoft/photogallery/originalimages/

**** is your user name

I take LOTS of photos and this had tied up GBs!

Hi what happens in some cases when you get a full hard drive notice on a hp recovery partition is that the system is saving restore points to that drive make sure restore is using c drive. Then you can go onto the hp recovery partition and delete those restore points.