To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade...

c0nt3nd3r

of f***, that is hot!

get it out of there, now!!

2009-07-05-154718.png

This is after moving the case to the top of my desk.

Could this be a sign my fans are not working as the temps are right back up to where they were before as shown in the initial ss?

Edited by c0nt3nd3r

im not too sure that the 70degree temps hes seeing on his 8400 GS aren't typical. i get similar temps on my 8800 GT which is admittedly a different card

my 8800 GT in an Antec Sonata:

post-158212-1246837184_thumb.jpg

after about 10 minutes in L4D:

post-158212-1246837190_thumb.jpg

BTW i tried the program from the other screenshots but it crashes with 'unknown architecture'

I don't recall having such crazy high temps back when I was using a 8xxx series card. Even my current card, which is passively cooled (Sapphire Radeon HD 4670), is only in the low 40's. I don't think I've even seen it hit 80, even under load.

Same thing for the CPU temps. My old E2160 is crazy OC'ed (85% higher -- to 3.4), and on stock cooler no less, and it idles in the 40's still... More like 30 w/o OC. He's not OC'ing, and his temps should be like half that, even on sock cooler.

Definitely sounds like he has airflow issues.

Either ways, a 8400GS is horribly inadequate, even for casual gaming. Unless he tends to play all the latest games all maxed out, he probably doesn't need a 4890 or anything near that. I'm perfectly happy with my 4670 on my 24". A 4770 would probably be good enough (BIG step up from what he has now, and doesn't break the bank -- 4850's are pretty cheap too).

Anyways. A new half-decent card is likely going to require a new PSU as well, and I doubt he'll get good temps anywhere near decent with the stock case either (if it's anything like those I've seen). So now all of a sudden, he's in for a vid card, case and PSU. He could get something like a Antec 300 + Radeon HD 4770 or 4850, and a quality 80+ PSU of decent wattage for about $250 total...

Edit: just look inside the poor beast :( Good luck getting good temps out of that! No space to speak of, crammed like hell, only one cheapo 80mm fan, wires everywhere... Can't say I'm surprised.

which is why i recommended a 4870/4890 in my first post :)

Then why did you say this:

so its not internet lag, it would either be gpu. cpu, or ram.

run taskmanager while playing a game, then when "lag" happens minimize the game and check out what the cpu and ram usage is.

Yeah anyway a new GPU would be good and clean out any dust inside your PC. My 9600GT running at 25% fan speed idles between 35-40C while OCed to be about as fast as a 8800GT! Sucks for you geek :P

Sucks for you geek :P

Not really. the thing could run at 100c degrees and as long as it doesnt melt down, i couldnt care less what the temp is. This card has been by far the best video card I have ever owned and ive owned a LOT of video cards (my first 'accerated' card was the Voodoo 2 if that gives you an idea of how long ive been buying 3d cards) With this card Ive broken free of the new-video-card-every-6 months that ive become accustomed to. Ive played Fo3, AC, Bioshock, UT3, LEGO Batman, L4D, Portal, and others i cant even remember and my 8800 which i bought in Dec of 2007 hasnt given me any issues despite its seemingly high temperature.

Sucks for you geek :P

Not really. the thing could run at 100c degrees and as long as it doesnt melt down, i couldnt care less what the temp is. This card has been by far the best video card I have ever owned and ive owned a LOT of video cards (my first 'accerated' card was the Voodoo 2 if that gives you an idea of how long ive been buying 3d cards) With this card Ive broken free of the new-video-card-every-6 months that ive become accustomed to. Ive played Fo3, AC, Bioshock, UT3, LEGO Batman, L4D, Portal, and others i cant even remember and my 8800 which i bought in Dec of 2007 hasnt given me any issues despite its seemingly high temperature.

Haha I was only kidding, I know GPU's can take very high temps but its nice to say I have very low temps on an overclocked GPU with a 25% fan speed at idle (compared to a default 35%). But yeah the 9/8800GT is a very good, solid card thats for sure. The 9600GT is fairly similar to the 8800GT and my OCed card is almost as fast and can play any game max settings on my monitors 1440x900 resolution so I am very happy. Next card I wouldn't mind a GTS 250 :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Will the new dx11 cards based on the 40nm process continue to run cooler like the current ATI Radeon HD 4770?

If so, I many just wait 'til they come out to grab a new card rather than purchase a current generation card and only become last generation within a few months.

Lag has been happening for a while with my current setup however, recently, whenever I have to restart my pc it beeps 3 times with the 3rd beep being longer than the first two and I have to leave the PC off for a bit. So, I am wondering if something is overheating, but the local PC repair guy told me it could be bad ram or gpu also.

Also, before going in-game if I lower my desktop resolution which I just started doing recently I find it helps somewhat with lag and overall gameplay.

Sunday night I shut my pc down for the night as to alleviate some of the heat and Monday morning when I went to turn it on it wouldn't and just gave the three beeps as described. It wouldn't turn on all day yesterday (Monday) and this morning after a whole day of being off it came back on when I tried this morning. This has me concerned if it's more than maybe a graphics card issue. I am getting power so I don't think it's a bad PSU also lately when in-game my monitor turns off like it has fallen asleep after inactivity and won't come back on without a restart of the pc. This has me thinking it is just the graphics.

Any ideas what this could be or just more evidence that the graphics card needs replacing?