xpize 5 Beta 3

W3bbo

I'll begin with the Known Issues list:

• Installer Issues
    • The "Download Tools" feature doesn't work because I haven't configured the server yet, you'll notice the error is 404.
    • Not all strings have been localised. If a localised string is missing the English equivalent will be used as a fallback. I'll need to get the translation volunteers to finish off the tables when it hits final. Let me know of any mistranslations.
    • There is no way to opt-out of checking for updates, which means your IP address will be logged by my server. This is used only for geostatistical purposes and never used to identify you personally.
    • Progress is not shown for the extraction of the package beyond "LZMA".
    • The installer is not customised with xpize banner and watermark images.
    • The "Show Log" button doesn't keep the log window up-to-date.

[*]Installation Issues

• For some reason screensavers aren't being applied. I'm setting the registry key right, but the Display control panel just isn't picking it up. I'm actively investigating.
    • Custom file type icons aren't being set. This is because the code to work with file types hasn't been finished.
    • The UxTheme patcher (based off DeepXW's Universal-patching heuristics-based approach) has not been tested. All but two of the included visual styles are compatible with the original unpatched UxTheme.dll. Let me know if it doesn't work or causes any kind of system error.

[*]I386 Installation Issues

• The installer will refuse to handle the package if its condition="" doesn't match your system (i.e. if you're running XPx64 and want to patch an XPx86 ISO on your computer). Until the next release is out you can bypass this by adding the /ignorePackageCondition command-line switch (note that it is case-sensitive)
    • Custom Windows setup artwork is not applied.

[*]Uninstallation Issues

• Wallpaper files aren't removed, but the wallpaper setting is reset.
    • Cursors aren't removed nor reset to their original setting.

After installing the package, a logfile will be saved to the directory the package was extracted to (find it under %you%\Local Settings\Temp). If it's larger than 29KB then something went wrong. Let me know.

Enjoy.

Edited by W3bbo

Oh wow, XPize with x64 support! Thank you W3bbo!

Uh, it doesn't support x64 yet, read closer :P

That's coming in the next release, which should be a few days away since I've streamlined everything.

Oh wow, XPize with x64 support! Thank you W3bbo!

Uh, it doesn't support x64 yet, read closer :P

That's coming in the next release, which should be a few days away since I've streamlined everything.

In fact, I was also quite eager to see x64 support! Anyway let's wait for it.

On x32 platform for me, there haven't been any bugs so far.

Great work!

Nice, now I hope we see some icon packs from ppl

Edit: One thing, to better localize %ProgramFiles%\Common Files its best to use this variable %CommonProgramFiles% then it will work on all langs

Also I notice none of the special characters are not showing up in the dialog like á é í ó ú does this mean I have to change from ansi-to-oem characters in my translation, same as CMD files?

Edited by ricktendo64

This supports 2k3 x86, correct?

No, 2K3x86 is NT5.2 which uses a slightly different resource arrangement.

The next release, compatible with NT5.2 I hope to release this week, maybe even later today.

Hmm, I'm getting a strange problem.

The installer showed me an error where it says that the package can be installed only on XP x86 SP3... But I AM installing it on an XP SP3 VM! :huh:

PS For the translation, there are some parts which actually I remember I translated but I see they're in english... Will look into it.

EDIT: here's a screenshot.

screenzwa.th.png

Edited by Smiley89

Hmm, I'm getting a strange problem.

The installer showed me an error where it says that the package can be installed only on XP x86 SP3... But I AM installing it on an XP SP3 VM! :huh:

PS For the translation, there are some parts which actually I remember I translated but I see they're in english... Will look into it.

EDIT: here's a screenshot.

screenzwa.th.png

That is bizarre. I'm working on a little program that should help solve the problem, until then you can use the /ignorePackageCondition command-line switch to bypass the condition check.

For all of those having problems with error messages about "This package can only be installed..." please download and run this from the command-line:

http://anol.is/misc/ConditionTest.zip

Paste your results here or to Pastebin.

Instructions: Open up cmd.exe, go to the Options page and enable Quick Edit mode, then type the name of the program to run it. When the results are printed to the screen drag a selection rectangle and right-click (this will copy it to your clipboard), then paste it here or on Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/

Edited by W3bbo

A word on x64 support:

I've just done some preliminary testing on an x64 VM (hurrah for Sun's VirtualBox). And I'm pleased to announce that it works acceptably well if you're after a stopgap solution. Please note the following errata:

a ) MSTSC.exe and a few other files aren't patched as it has a different version in NT5.2SP2 compared to NT5.1SP3.

b ) A few bitmaps in Shell32.dll aren't patched, nor is the photo wizard patched

c ) UxTheme.dll is not patched. I'm investigating. Note that the Microsoft-signed themes do work.

d ) Only the 'true' x64 files under C:\windows\system32 are patched. The x86 files under C:\Windows\SysWow64 are not patched. I'll correct this in the next release.

To install it on x64, just add the /ignorePackageCondition switch when launching from the command-line.

Happy x64 computing :)

Edited by W3bbo