Windows 98 and Athlon 64 processors

sombrero

In the past i tested an Opteron 148 with a Asrock 939a8x-m (this board officially supports Windows 98). The system worked but i had timing issues with some software (as Flash Player, audio crackling) and hardware (hiccup effect when accessing a 2.5 hd). I tried to underclock and even overclock the cpu but it didn't help.

I don't have these problems with my actual system (a Celeron 220 itx board).

Maybe Windows 98 doesn't handle properly Athlon 64 processors?

I use Opteron 154 with Win98se installed since 2007 and have no major problem.

Flash Player 9 may crash Firefox or Opera on Japanese or Traditional Chinese Win9x/me, but it can be solved by editing NPSWF32.dll.

It looks like motherboard design or driver problem for me. I have ASUS P5K and it had the same problems: timing issues with some software that plays sound, audio crackling. It had them on XP and on Vista too until the company that sold me this PC found some setting that optimizes IDE hard drive perfomance.

Actually sound started crippling and apps playing sound slowed down each time when computer used my IDE hard disk drives. Do you have the same problem? It was solved in the latest HDD controller drivers for my motherboard, though I did not tried them. It does not depend on OS.

I also tried to install Windows 2000 (with stock generic ide driver) and it was fine, that's why i think there is something related to OS (don't know if the culprit is kernel, oudated dll's, device drivers - i used W98 stock ide driver - or what else).

If i'm not wrong ASUS P5K is Intel based, so maybe my issues weren't related to the cpu architecture. Unfortunatly the mb is broken so actually i'm not able to do further testing.

If not hardware than it more likely drivers. Drivers for Win2K and Win98 are different, may be 98 drivers have such bug. If you have the same problem as me (sound crippling when accessing HDDs), may be you don't have other choice (for win 98) than buying separate sound card.