Windows Setup: Hangs on restart

melissah

Hi there,

I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.7 on a MacBook Pro, and have used Boot Camp to create a 20 gig FAT32 partition. I used WinXP Pro SP3 as a basis for my new nLited Windows, but followed a guide that used a version slipstreamed with SP2. I created an .iso and, after selecting the wrong setting, burnt it at 7x onto a good quality, clean CD-R. I don't know if any of that effects my issue, but it's there anyway.

Using Boot Camp Assistant, I rebooted the computer with the CD in my drive. It went through some preliminary Windows setup things, then came up with a screen that said that it could not automatically detect my computer type. As it only gave me the option for Standard PC, I selected that. The initial setup went without another hitch, until it reads something along the lines of "setup is restarting" and hangs. It doesn't restart. I've tried it out multiple times with no luck.

My initial suspicion is that I need to reburn the disk at a lower rate, but I thought I'd check here first. My LAST SESSION.INI is attached.

LAST_SESSION.INI

Hey melissah

As You run a Mac Os, i think windows is not going to restart as it is in an Mac OS environment

Install this windows onto a normal pc,when the installation is done,make an image

and copy it onto your Mac, if your lucky it will boot or,

buy a PC

icy

It's not in a MacOS environment. I have a MBP with an Intel chip, so Windows runs just fine on it. The Windows partition is completely separate from OSX. In addition, I don't have an issue with the set up of full WinXP. My computer isn't the problem. :)

Just to clarify, the problem presents itself during setup/installation. That is, I have booted from the CD, manually selected the type of computer, selected the correct partition, and allowed the program to do it's thing. It checks the disks, copies some files, implements my modifications and returns the message that it is restarting. It does not restart. Manual rebooting results in having to go through the process over again.

Could it be that I need to make a change so that I am not forced to choose the Standard PC option? If so, how do I go about this?

melissah, I think the big problem here is that we know almost nothing about Mac computers here. I know nothing. Installing on a IBM compatible PC never asked the "Standard PC option" question that I am aware and I don't have a clue what it means. I don't think it is coming from Windows Setup. Where is it coming from? From my Windows experience, I would wonder if you need text mode drivers for your HDDs - SATA? Are you trying to use F6 to install drivers? Have you done a search here and in Google for using nLite against a Mac? I'm kinda thrashing here, sorry. Here is my standard plea - please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

Hello John,

My Last Session.ini is already attached if you want to take a look. Everything is fresh, done in one session, et cetera. I've Googled the issue extensively. If I manage to come up with a solution I'll post it.

melissah, I had looked at your Last Session. I just pasted my whole plea. I see no problem there. You did not comment on the F6 question. You cannot use F6 unless you disable OEM Preinstall in Unattended. Have you tried to install with the original CD? If it works OK, try an nLited one with as few changes as possible to get an unattended installation. Please let us know. Enjoy, John.

melissah, I think the big problem here is that we know almost nothing about Mac computers here. I know nothing.
You should not need to know anything about Macs to answer an nLite-related question - just treat her MBP as a regular PC. All Boot Camp does is create a partition for Windows XP and allow it to be installed through the EFI interface (similar to a BIOS) - nothing else. Everything else is essentially the same as a regular PC.
Installing on a IBM compatible PC never asked the "Standard PC option" question that I am aware and I don't have a clue what it means. I don't think it is coming from Windows Setup. Where is it coming from?
Here is your answer (scroll down to The Role of the F5 Key and Shutdown Problems) - it is in Windows Setup.
From my Windows experience, I would wonder if you need text mode drivers for your HDDs - SATA? Are you trying to use F6 to install drivers? Have you done a search here and in Google for using nLite against a Mac? I'm kinda thrashing here, sorry. Here is my standard plea - please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.
I think between the link I posted and her Last Session.ini, there is plenty of information to answer melissah's question. My bet is that a specific HAL for her MBP is missing from her disc (most likely ACPI Multiprocessor PC).

Edit: Seems my assumption was correct, in that "Multi-Processor Support" was removed from her disc.

Edited by gamehead200

gamehead200, thanks for your kind response to my reply. I do not agree with:

You should not need to know anything about Macs to answer an nLite-related question - just treat her MBP as a regular PC. All Boot Camp does is create a partition for Windows XP and allow it to be installed through the EFI interface (similar to a BIOS) - nothing else. Everything else is essentially the same as a regular PC.
But, I am glad I have flushed out the Mac expert and you have explained what F5 is about (news to me, as is MBP, Boot Camp, EFI Interface) and answered the OP's question. Enjoy, John.

Edit: Seems my assumption was correct, in that "Multi-Processor Support" was removed from her disc.

That's exactly what the problem was. Thank you so much, gamehead200! Thank you even more for going above and beyond the call of duty to contact me via Twitter and alert me to your response. I really appreciate it and am now running nLite. Totally my fault for blindly following a guide that wasn't made for my computer.

A word of advice for other Mac users: sometimes Boot Camp doesn't actually format the partition. If, after you are automatically restarted, you receive a disk error, try a hard reboot. Press the option key or boot from the CD and reformat. DON'T choose the option to leave the partition as is. :)

Another thing for Mac users to consider is the removal of Bluetooth. When you install Boot Camp and the Windows drivers from the Leopard disk, you automatically install Bluetooth support, which results in an error every time you start your Windows partition. You can delete Bluetooth support through Add/Remove programs.

That's exactly what the problem was. Thank you so much, gamehead200! Thank you even more for going above and beyond the call of duty to contact me via Twitter and alert me to your response. I really appreciate it and am now running nLite. Totally my fault for blindly following a guide that wasn't made for my computer.
:lol: You're welcome. :)