At 50% off, is pre-ordering Windows 7 a good idea?

Alpaca Portrait

I see that it goes on sale today, 6/26/09, the 'upgrade' versions of Home Premium for $50 and Professional for $100. I don't have Vista but according to what I've read all versions of XP and Vista qualify you to upgrade.

I've never had an upgrade version of any OS so I'm a little unsure. Will you still be able to do a clean install of 7 as long as you have a valid version of Vista or XP? And slipstream service packs into a 7 source in the future as they're released?

Edited by Alpaca Portrait

Will you still be able to do a clean install of 7 as long as you have a valid version of Vista or XP?

With XP you could - you just had to insert a CD of an older OS at the time you installed XP. XP's text-based install would scan that CD, then proceed to installation.

With Vista, they changed that - if you were using an upgrade key, you had to launch the install from within Windows (no booting from the CD allowed). A workaround was that you could install the OS without a product key, then launch the install from within that Windows installation.

Hopefully Win 7 upgrades will follow XP's path and not Vista's; however, I'd guess that this is probably one piece of XP functionality removed in Vista that MS will not reinstate.

If you're buying the upgrade version of 7, be prepared to launch the installer from a Windows installation.

The Micrsoft site statement just says XP to Win7 - no mention of which version of XP or if Win7 64-bit is orderable.

Based on how users upgraded from Win98, SE. ME to XP I'd say you could go from XP Home to Win7 Pro with no problems; excpet you'd have to do a clean install of Win7 using the XP Home CD as the valid source to be upgarded.

Get TechNet Plus Direct for just $249 thru 7/3/09 and you’ll have early access to the latest Microsoft software like Windows 7!

They also have this deal. I opt for all the O/s options at this price.

I thought I read that the 32 & 64 bit versions were both on the same DVD? Maybe not.

I've read in several places that an upgrade from XP to 7 requires a clean install, but I'm suspicious of the way it'll actually be done. One post I read speculated that you'd have to have a valid XP running on a disk/partition and then start the 7 install process which would eventually format that disk/partition before installing 7, but at the same time nuking all traces of XP.

Simply providing an XP CD as a valid source sounds too easy to me. If that's the case then anyone who knows anyone with an XP CD could make the move to 7 by only buying an upgrade version of 7 instead of the full install. So buy 7 Pro Upgrade now for $100 vs. 7 Pro Full for $300 later and still end up with the same end result? Sounds dubious to me.

That link confirmed what I've been thinking - XP users won't be able to buy an upgrade version of 7 and do a clean install without losing their XP install. That's why it's called an Upgrade version though, so that's understandable. I just wish they'd cut the price of the Full install by 50% for pre-order as well.

That link confirmed what I've been thinking - XP users won't be able to buy an upgrade version of 7 and do a clean install without losing their XP install. That's why it's called an Upgrade version though, so that's understandable. I just wish they'd cut the price of the Full install by 50% for pre-order as well.

Yeah a 50% retail version would be nice. Just got a few facts off www.tweakguides.com:

Microsoft has announced that there is a heavily discounted price available for Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional Upgrade Editions for US residents who pre-order before 11 July 2009. The pre-order is now officially open, however some things to note:

# These are upgrade editions, which means you need to own a qualifying full version of XP or Vista to install them.

# Every Windows 7 retail box - except Home Basic - comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit install discs.

# Vista users can do a clean install or in-place upgrade, while XP users can only do a clean install.

# If you want to upgrade from a 32-bit version of XP or Vista to a 64-bit version of Windows 7, you need to choose the electronic purchase option and select the x64 download, then burn it to disc and do a clean install.

Update: The offer is also open to Canadian, UK and Japanese residents via participating retailers.

Thanks for all the info. The Microsoft's upgrade offer was sadly lacking in details.

I have the full retail XP and it looks like the upgrade will basically give my an OEM version of Win7. If I'm wrong, please inform me. I want to have the "full retail" license of Win7 just like I have with XP.

I can move my XP to another machine any time I get tired of the old one. If the upgrade license doesn't allow that, it's no good to me. Also I can install XP multiple times on the same machine. I always have at least one install on each of the two hard drives. This allows me to boot up come hell or high water, or a sick hard drive. A third install is good for testing new software packages to see how badly they would contaminate the regular XP install I depend on always being there.

If the upgrade gives me this ability, please explain.

Hopefully the full retail Win7 will give me this, otherwise I'll have to stick to XP forever.

One more question. If I understand correctly, I need to have XP running (or Vista) to install the upgrade Win7. And I understand XP gets wiped off the disk. So what would I do if the upgrade Win7 gets wiped or the hard drive dies? Can I just keep re-installing XP and from there install Win7? I can do an unattended install of XP in 15 minutes, so I guess I could tolerate that. But would XP need to be activated before installing Win7? Can I keep on activating XP until hell freezes over, even though I've upgraded to Win7?

Why bother with those, don't you want Ultimate?

The RC is good for a year, then you can find some deals on a online auction.

i want ultimate for sure, i'll have to stick with the RC i guess until i find a nice deal.