$OEM$ Not Copying To Install HDD

well, i don't have a lastsession.ini file in my current source

i'm using nLite just to create the .iso, nothing else

i create unattended.txt through the SP2 Deploy Tools, rename to WINNT.SIF and move it to my i386 folder

i'm gonna take a step back from the ledge and try creating my image with CDImage and take nLite out of the equation altogether

i'll update in a bit

E--

Ah, I missed you saying that before. I believe nlite will reorganize the inf files even if its just making the iso. That shouldn't be a problem though. Also, disregard what I said earlier....you can run nlite multiple times against the same source if that's all you're doing with it.

Something must be borked with your winnt.sif then. Here's mine. WINNT.SIF Maybe it will help.

Ah, I missed you saying that before. I believe nlite will reorganize the inf files even if its just making the iso. That shouldn't be a problem though. Also, disregard what I said earlier....you can run nlite multiple times against the same source if that's all you're doing with it.

Something must be borked with your winnt.sif then. Here's mine. WINNT.SIF Maybe it will help.

ok, a couple small differences between my WINNT.sif and yours

MsDosInitiated:

mine: ="0"

yours: =0

OemSkipEula:

mine: =Yes

yours: ="Yes"

to double quote or not to double quote, that is the question

maybe?

hard to tell when double quotes are needed or not...my quotes, with and/or without, were all setup via the SP2 Deploy Tools

have to go to work now so i'll try to remember to play with this tonight/tomorrow and see what i get...i can kind of see the MsDosInitiated value being a difference maker

E--

haven't had time to test this yet

RL sucks a$$ sometimes

as soon as i get a couple hours to go through things and make sure my source files are what they should be and then test i will

i'll post my results as soon as i can

E--

I was going to suggest that. If your winnt.sif is ok what else could it be.

About the quotation marks. It's a mystery to me. I know in the past having them or not having them in certain places will cause a failure.

A while back, I went about trying to figure out the minimun needed in WINNT.SIF to only insert the key. In XP SP3 this is what I found...

Minimun needed in WINNT.SIF to insert key - XP (SP3 only)

[Data]
MsDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=ProvideDefault

[UserData]
ProductKey="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

ProductKey and UnattendedInstall can be with or without quotes.

On SP2 having quotes around product key caused a failure. On SP1 it's the opposite. :crazy:

See here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=194436

If I get bored one day, I'll strip all the quotes and test in a VM then add quotes to everything and retest. I'm hoping MS did the right thing and made it so SP3 doesn't care one way or the other.

Edited by -X-

well, something is teh suck and i don't know what

didn't work again

well, i'm tired of playing with this atm...i found the RunOnceEx program that basically creates the RunOnceEx.cmd file, but also has a bit of code to identify your cd-rom drive; and, then installs from the cd and not the <install> directory, etc

i had that working the other day; so, i'm gonna go with that just to get the system back up and running

however, it's really pi$$ing me off that i can't get this to work...i'm sure, since i have nothing better to do, that i'll fiddle with this and try to figure out WTF is going on

once, errrrr, if i get it figured out i'll definitely post my findings/info/etc

thanks, -X- for your time and suggestions

take care

E--

When You Enabled OEM Preinstall it will apperars the folder $OEM$ on your installation

To make $OEM$ Folder Make Sure That u have enabled the OEM Preinstall :hello:

this is weird

i went ahead and burned my install disc with the RunOnceEx.cmd that searches for and installs from the CDRom

however, during the file copy stage i saw it copy the $OEM$ files that i wasn't seeing when i was testing with VMWare

sure enough, the files and folders are on my c:\

not sure why it worked this time and not when i was testing with VMWare

meh...feel like a tool for wasting your time, -X-

E--

i added a 'pause' to my RunOnceEx.cmd file and found that cmdow is not being copied to \windows\system32...i just did a search of my "c:\" (on VM pc) and cmdow is definitely nowhere to be found...i'm not sure if cmdow not getting copied over is my main problem or something else

anyhow, what i've been doing is to use that XP_SP3_Base to make a .iso file and tested that it loaded in VM Machine and that i hade that "base install"

then, i unzipped that .iso file to XP_SP3_062509 so i could mess around with my "source" data and if/when i screwed things up, i could just go back to my XP_SP3_Base main source and start again

when i did this in the past, i remember being able to update my current source and just roll on...i'm not sure if i used nLite or what back then...i don't recall having to delete anything, etc

also, here's the $OEM$ folder structure you asked about:

$OEM$ folder:

062509.jpg

$OEM$\$$\System32 folder:

062509.jpg

i really appreciate your feedback, -X-

E--

Just because the I386 folder is not in the root directory then try placing the $OEM$ directory inside the I386 directory...

This seems to be a VMWare issue.

I experience the same problem, but yet, when i run my UA in VirtualBox all is good! Don't ask me why, but it must be a settings or some sort of misconfiguration within VMWare?

I Spent stressful hours trying to sort this out, $OEM$ not getting copied over etc... But when reading these forums I cam across a thread that had an similar issue. Within that thread some one said that he uses VirtualBox and advised him to try that out - So i thought ill try it too. Lo and behold, it worked! $OEM$ got copied over!

But my only problem is with VirtualBox is that I can't get the "install from CD" with RunOnceEX to work when not using the /INSTALL folder etc... LOL NVM... I love the stress :S

Anyways, hope this might help... Would be nice if you let me know or some one else could clarrify this with the VMW/VB ? or have had a similar issue?

Edited by richiboy