How old are the images on Google Maps?

I don't know how many of you have ever typed your home address (or any address) into Google Maps and then selected the "street view" option where you can see images of homes, office buildings, parks, etc., but what I'd like to know is, how old are those images? I realize they don't all have the same creation date, but I'd like to know how old the oldest images could be.

Kind of an odd question, so here's the situation: someone I know who lives out of state had to sell his customized car back in 2000-01 for financial reasons, but always said he hoped to get it back one day. I was messing around with Google Maps this weekend and typed in that guy's address, and when I looked at the street view image of his house the car was in the driveway, so I'm curious to know if the image I saw was taken before he sold the car 9 years ago, or if it's a more recent pic and his luck has changed and he was able to buy the car back.

Any ideas?

well i did Google earth then looked at google map of my friends house. Google earth tells me at the bottom the satalite is from 2004. Earth tells me nothing except i see it is the same exact map with cars in the same exact location. They also painted their mailbox 2 years ago to zebra stripes, google earth and google maps both have their mailbox unpainted. So i assumed it was safe that both satalite images are the same.

Also the horses in the pasture are standing in the same spot

Edited by animosh

Where do you see the 2004 reference on your maps?

The aerial images for my area are also circa 2004. There's no date - I just know this based on what's in the aerial shots.

As for Street View, however, those images are circa 2007. Once again, I know this based on what's in the pictures and what isn't. Google constantly updates these street view images, though, and is always adding more.