Restoring the Win 7 System backup image to different hardware

I would like to make a system backup image from Win 7 and deploy it to multiple different computers. Does anyone know is it possible to deploy the system backup image to different kind of hardware?

I dont know if I understood correctly your question, but here's my two cents.

Windows AIK (Download) I know can help you. Its not something easy to understand, the program itself is kinda complex, but once you get the basics, you will get it right.

Im trying to learn the same program as well, so I couldnt tell you much about it yet, but so far from what I've read, you install Windows 7 with an answer file that the program reads from an USB drive that was previously created on WAIK, once the installation is finished, you enter on what its called "Audit Mode", you run a few commands to clean up PC specific info from the installed copy and then you use another tool called ImageX to build your new "generalized" Windows 7 image that can then be deployed across different machines.

I hope it helps.

• 7 months later...
I would like to make a system backup image from Win 7 and deploy it to multiple different computers. Does anyone know is it possible to deploy the system backup image to different kind of hardware?

maybe with software (farstone driveclon) i hope this help you

• 1 month later...

You can do it easly by Acranis Backup & Restore 10. Just, dont forget choosing "Use Universal Restore" checkbox, when you are restoring the image

Edited by artal73

The system backup image made by the backup program isn't meant for this - you want to do what some of the other posters have said and either make (and sysprep) a Windows 7 image and capture it using imagex, or use a 3rd party tool to capture it. Do not install a system and make an image with the backup program to accomplish this, as it's likely not to work.

The system backup image made by the backup program isn't meant for this - you want to do what some of the other posters have said and either make (and sysprep) a Windows 7 image and capture it using imagex, or use a 3rd party tool to capture it. Do not install a system and make an image with the backup program to accomplish this, as it's likely not to work.

This method would consume more time than acronis true Image method. As the method you are suggesting is actually creating an installation DVD with all the applications, and in my experience installation would take atleast half an hour to install an OS but acronis would take only 7 mins. I have already tried both the methods.

Correct, but using a system backup image to install to another hardware platform isn't technically supported. I try to avoid hacks if there's an actual supported method of doing something - the last thing you want is to, for example, call Microsoft two years down the road and have them deny you help because the entire installation you're running on is not supported due to something you did to save 60 minutes.

It did brother, I have already tried. I have Acer laptop and my sis has HCL with different configurations. But I did restore my backup on my sister's laptop without any problem. As I was only experimenting so I don't know how it works in the long run. But I have used that laptop for few hrs after restoring my backup on my sister's laptop it was working perfectly.

Edited by nice_guy75

There are ways, though as cluberti said, they are not "the officially supported" ones.

All the "fun" istaking place here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showforum=43

and/or on boot-land (which right now seems like unaccessible)

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9227

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9830

Mirror of the app on 911cd:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=23553

jaclaz