Still very concerned about IPV6 issue!

I really do not think Microsoft ever created an experimental release for Windows 9x...

The guy I have quoted states the contrary quite authoritatively. It does not mean he is right though but perhaps it could be worth contacting him to make sure.

Edited by eidenk

I am going to start testing some of these items on my test box today; even if one of them installs correctly, I've still to figure how to configure it.

As an aside, if none of these things actually work, I wonder if:

One can set up either a Linux or XP machine all set up for IPV6,

and make some kind of server type---something or other, out of it,

and then run a 9x box through it in some way---thereby going on the internet with that 9x box,

using the Linux or XP box as a router, porting device?

Does any one know if such a thing is possible?

I will never be content running 9x in virtual mode through; it has to be real!

If, none of these downloaded items work (I think one or two will) then the router method will be necessary.

Remember, I am not so concerned with tunneling, routing---current 9x machines---having an IP address already;

but am considering how to keep 9x alive, once these IPV4 addresses are no longer available.

Believe it or not, before Katrina hit, those in charge of things, had at least 30 years to reinforce the canals;

which they did not do!

They did not pay heed to the "possibility" of an eventual canal breach, and we all know what happened.

There is an old Chinese saying, that by dealing with problems long before they come to the starting stage, one will be well equipped to deal with them----when they eventually start to stir.

I truly do think that any problems keeping our so called obsolete 9x systems going, for as long as we can go----is actually something well within our reach.

Edited by cyberformer

The download links on that wayback machine page are dead. All say "not in archive".

I posted the wayback link as an example. I wasn't prepared to go digging through all the available versions (going back 13 years) of the site to find a file that I know nothing about. Sometimes you get lucky with Wayback and they cache downloads on some older sites.

Even though those links did not work Tripredacus, it was still an effort to help!

Not only that, but I did not even know they had such a thing as Way Back Machine!

Any help offered, is appreciated greatly, even if it does not work out!

The download link that I posted earlier that didn't work out when I installed it did seem to be something that will install onto 98SE ... it's that 30 day trial ... which a person doesn't really get a "30 day trial" that interferes with the install and reboot. The company that made that program doesn't exist anymore but someone must have the ability to fix or take that part out ... the program should work after that, it did install on my machine ... of course I didn't know what setting to put in the boxes. Maybe someone can make contact or find a way to get in touch with somebody originally involved with the program. Maybe they might have a "softspot" for us 98SE users and make it workable. Isn't 98SE still in use in many countries around the globe? ... I read that once somewhere, but maybe now in 2009, XP has become more the norm. I will try to find a contact on my end and keep searching for another IPv6 program for 98SE.

.... if you go to this web site, it will "read" your machine and probably tell you that you are using IPv4 and from where.

.... http://www.ipv6.org

Edited by duffy98

OK then....

Test machine is 98Se.

Out of all the files I downloaded, I chose to experiment with The Toolnet6 download called

95-j.exe-----which when opened becomes v6natman.exe

which when clicked on opens a window called NAT Manager.

On the left side of this window it says V6 IP address.

On the right side it says V4 IP address.

When you click on a menu box at the top, called new address, it opens a box

that says add addresses at the top.

Then V6 IP address, with a slot to type into.

Then below that V4 IP address, with a slot to type into.

And below that "comments" with a slot to type into.

The instructions and help info, produce a box saying "language not supported"!

Also, when I open the network box from the control panel, along with the usual listings, the

last one is TC/IP- Ne2000 compatible---which my card indeed is, since this is an ancient Dell Machine.

Now what?

I have no clue as to what all this means, yet since the NAT Manager did indeed open up when the original file was clicked on, possibilities of a working IPV6 capability seem to be possible,

if I knew what to do.

Also, along with those Toolnet 6 down loads, was another file called 95 jpn.exe, which

I did not execute yet; it perhaps being something used in conjunction with the first?

Edited by cyberformer

I found a free program at Softpedia, called IPConvert, which might just prove useful in this endeavor!

It converts your IPV4 address into some long string of jargon with a lot of zeros and then numbers, which is supposed to be an IPV6 address. It's free, and it might prove useful in filling in those slots provided in the Toolnet6 prog that has to be filled in.

Also, I executed that other toolnet6 file---95jpn.ex, and it gives some English instructions, plus something that looks like a dill file, that says system on it. So I copied it and put it in the Windows system folder. I clicked on it, and no thing seemed to happen, so I stuck it in the system folder, since it has system affixed to it's file name.

I saw in these instructions that an EtherLink III card is mentioned quite a bit, so I just dug my old one out of the box and will install it.

I will continue to work on this, and post the results if I am successful or not.

Of course there is no IPV6 established where I am in this part of town, so it might be a waste of time; yet, if I can see the turtles "swimming"---not dancing, I will know it works.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Of course there is no IPV6 established where I am in this part of town, so it might be a waste of time; yet, if I can see the turtles "swimming"---not dancing, I will know it works.

Any advice will be appreciated!

http://cable360.net/ct/news/ctreports/36250.html

There are some interesting challenges in the home. One is making sure that the home gateways support IPv6. There are still a number of devices that only understand IPv4.

For example, Windows XP supports a little bit of IPv6, but not enough to make it work transparently, said Woundy. It would be difficult to get IPv6 operational on the average consumer's Windows XP computer today. It is important to weave network address translation (NAT) into the backbone network seamlessly between the existing IPv4 world and the virtually limitless IPv6 world.

Many devices in the home, such as portable media players and cameras, only support IPv4, so Comcast will have to retain legacy support for these devices over its network.

http://www.ipv6ready.org/

" For example, Windows XP supports a little bit of IPv6, but not enough to make it work transparently, said Woundy. It would be difficult to get IPv6 operational on the average consumer's Windows XP computer today. "

I actually find the statement above, if it is true----to be rather perplexing, bordering on shocking!

If it is true, you can bet an IPV6 patch will be forthcoming from Microsoft (if it does not exist),

and that 3rd party's will produce many.

For 9x, we can rule the big M out.

And having prophesied that, easily----it would be my ardent hope, that someone, somewhere----will provide a working patch that gives 9x complete and perfect IPV6 functionality!

Perhaps these old patches such as Toolnet 6, and WinTrumpet---really work; such as I am trying to eventually find out, ere it's too late.

We do not want to be at the mercy of servers and providers; but rather seek a fully IPV6 capable, and functional WIN 9x----!

If I had millions, I would certainly provide support to those with the know how.

I am optimistic though, that some very member from MSFN---will meet the challenge;

who would have even thought that we would have 9x systems, modifiable to such excellent standards---only a few years back?!?!?

I wish I knew exactly what goes into making a system such as 9x without IPV6 capability, fully IPV6 capable----patch wise, in an autonomous way.

Edited by cyberformer

Hello!

I am persistent in my “obsession” that the IPV6 issue, is going to be the ultimate challenge for 9x users.
BTW, thanks for starting this thread
" For example, Windows XP supports a little bit of IPv6, but not enough to make it work transparently, said Woundy. It would be difficult to get IPv6 operational on the average consumer's Windows XP computer today. "

I actually find the statement above, if it is true----to be rather perplexing, bordering on shocking!

If it is true, you can bet an IPV6 patch will be forthcoming from Microsoft (if it does not exist),

and that 3rd party's will produce many.

DNS lookups over IPv6

http://www.ipv6style.jp/en/action/20050905/index.shtml

DNS resolver (DNS query function) of Windows XP does not support IPv6 transport. The function can query AAAA records (IPv6 addresses) to DNS, but on IPv4 network only. This is a well known issue, and KDDI Lab solved this by developing a new DLL for name resolution.

PPPv6 PPPoE

http://internecine.eu/systems/windows_xp-ipv6.html

PPPv6 is not supported in Windows XP, as stated in the official documenation. No PPPv6 support was (covertly) added with any of the service packs. Maybe third-party vendors (will) offer PPPv6 software for Windows XP in the future, if a market arises through more widespread IPv6 dial-up adaption.
but http://www.cfos.de/ipv6_link/ipv6_link_e.htm
IPv6 dial-up driver for Windows, Automatic routing and address configuration

IPv4 <-> IPv6 DNS mapping, DHCPv6 Stateful, Stateless, Prefix Delegation

High-speed, 10x faster than the Windows driver

Configurable DHCP DUID, VLAN support

and (in Hungarian): http://ipv6.niif.hu/m/IPv6_DSL_architektur%C3%A1ja

DHCPv6 - 3rd party (GPL) solution is available: http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/

It even works in Windows 2000/NT (experimental)

BTW, IPv6 downloads for Windows 2000 are mirrored on:

http://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq...&os=windows

Regards, Roman

modicr, I am pleased I am not the only person that has the foresight to see that "Now" is the time, to deal with any possible problems (if solutions are currently working) long before finding oneself in the exceedingly sorrowful state of having no access to the internet. This applies to any OS it is an individual's "Will" to use!

I went to the site you mentioned, in reference to:

DHCPv6 - 3rd party (GPL) solution is available: http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/

It even works in Windows 2000/NT (experimental)

But cannot find any Windows versions supported other than, XP, NT and 2000!

Am I looking in the right place?

I am still searching for some 3rd party program, other than Winsock, and preferably free, and opensourced-to boot_____that is working in 9x------and cannot find it.

All the same, I greatly appreciate your help, and will continue to do so.

I wish I were an absolute expert in this IPV6 realm---there seems to be a lot more to it, especially in the "configurational" aspects of things, than most people realize at the moment.

Edited by cyberformer

• 1 year later...

Well phil8192.

after going to the link you provide, I receive the following:

No IPv6 address detected [more info]

World IPv6 day is June 8th, 2011. No problems are anticipated for you with this browser, at this location. [more info]

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. [more info]

Your readiness scores

10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6

0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

Needles to say, I am not at all pleased!

Nevertheless, I am left with a certain small bit of optimism, that all will work out for us 9x users.