Gaming on Windows 2000

Okay... New games don't work on Windows 2000 even though they should, as specified in the minimum system requirements section of the game.

Starting with Doom 3: I get the following error:

ERROR: The current video card / driver combination does not support the necessary features.

Which I am almost certain that I am using the latest driver for my graphics (Intel 965GM). Nonetheless, it fails. Yes I know it's an integrated, but the same game, same files ran fine under Windows 7 (albeit at low quality). In addition it cites the errors as: Couldn't find proc address for: wglsomethingARB, among a long list of others.

CounterStrike Source, which also cites minimum required as Windows 2000, fails to run completely with an HL2 exception error message about memory that could not be read. This game also works fine in Windows 7.

Running the Intel Chipset ID Utility tells me it is an Integrated Graphics: Intel® 965GM Graphics And Memory Controller Hub(GMCH), which was strange considering I was using 945GM drivers before with the same results as with the supposedly correct drivers. If there's not much to be done, I'm going to try reinstalling 2000, hopefully with better results. Note the installation of the current 2000 was botched by my lack of USB CD-ROM install hotfix.

That's really strange. I've been playing Doom 3 on Win2k for years. I've never had a problem with it. I'm actually looking forward to reinstalling it with the new motherboard+hard drive to see how it plays.

For other games, you might like these posts :whistle:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/sho...ad.php?t=258793

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/sho...ad.php?t=359988

Edited by WildBill

Good to know it's not the OS version's fault :thumbup .

The drivers for this rig either come from Lenovo or Intel, and Intel driver pages are incredibly annoying to navigate... Plus most of the Windows 2000 downloads are no longer available :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: Does anyone just happens to have or know where there is a Windows 2000 driver for the Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family's integrated graphics?

Very strange indeed... I also noted that on my desktop, which happens to be built from the same original Windows disc also fails to run some games as well with the same style of OpenGL error...

Bleh, maybe I'll try another start disc...

That is one huge screenshot! :P

Unfortunately trying to run Doom 3 gives me an "Error during initialization" in flashing red (ooh!). In the error box I get this stuff... which leads me back to the conclusion that my drivers are flawed. It's the "The current video card / driver combination does not support the necessary features." that keeps bugging me... Maybe I can't run it on this integrated card in 2000 due to lack of drivers :blink:

EDIT: I didn't realize the error list was so long... Cutting out unnecessary stuff.

EDIT2: Maybe Windows 7's new WARP feature has kicked in? Oo Because from what I read an integrated card or old/slow dedicated one won't run Doom 3 at all.

5206 strings read from strings/english.lang
Couldn't open journal files
...calling LoadLibrary( 'opengl32' ): succeeded
Couldn't find proc address for: wglGetExtensionsStringARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglSwapIntervalEXT
Couldn't find proc address for: wglGetPixelFormatAttribivARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglGetPixelFormatAttribfvARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglChoosePixelFormatARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglCreatePbufferARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglGetPbufferDCARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglReleasePbufferDCARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglDestroyPbufferARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglQueryPbufferARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglBindTexImageARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglReleaseTexImageARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglSetPbufferAttribARB
...created window @ 192,118 (648x507)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...PIXELFORMAT 7 selected
...creating GL context: succeeded
...making context current: succeeded
sound: STEREO
X..GL_ARB_multitexture not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_env_combine not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_cube_map not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_env_add not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two not found
X..GL_ARB_texture_compression not found
X..GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic not found
X..GL_EXT_texture_lod not found
X..GL_1.4_texture_lod_bias not found
X..GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette not found
X..GL_EXT_texture3D not found
X..GL_EXT_stencil_wrap not found
X..GL_NV_register_combiners not found
X..GL_EXT_stencil_two_side not found
X..GL_ATI_separate_stencil not found
X..GL_ATI_fragment_shader not found
X..GL_ATI_text_fragment_shader not found
X..GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object not found
X..GL_ARB_vertex_program not found
X..GL_ARB_fragment_program not found
[b]ERROR: The current video card / driver combination does not support the necessary features.[/b]
Error during initialization

Edited by Colonel O'Neill

It definitely looks like an OpenGL/driver issue. Are you using onboard video or a card? Are there better drivers out there? For my card I have to use hacked XP drivers from www.omegadrivers.net, for instance, because ATI dropped Win2k support.

Edited by WildBill

Unfortunately yes, I am using Intel onboard video, which is why I am beginning to suspect Windows 7's new WARP feature is why it works on 7.

The Intel site still has XP downloads, which still include Windows 2000 as a supported OS, which is what I am using now. I installed those, which give me the proper resolutions and bit-depth, but Doom 3 still refuses to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I played Doom3 just fine on my Win2k w/o any problems. Perheps your GFX card drivers are up to blame? You need a proper OpenGL/OpenAL support and I got it on nVidia (5700 Ultra to 6800GT/6800GS - all worked rather well) ...

Here's a screenshot from a fresh install I just made:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?rmjmrinazqf

This has the latest Doom3 1.3.1 patch applied, though the program ran even from a clean install from the CD's.

WTF??? A 12 meg screenshot? HOLY COW!

Edit:

Download, resized and saved as a .png so others can see it.

shot00031h.th.png

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

I am relatively certain that it is my graphics driver, seeing as Intel's Windows 2000 drivers are rather difficult to find now. All of the ones I've tried install, but fail run CSS and Doom 3.

Under Windows 7, the card shows up as: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - Prerelease WDDM 1.1)

Under Windows 2000, it shows up as: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset

I have tried running Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* XP (exe) 14.37.1.5029, which states that it does support Windows 2000:

OS:Windows* 2000, Windows* XP Home Edition, Windows* XP Media Center Edition, Windows* XP Professional

Yesterday I put in an Asus pcie card based on the ATI 4890. Using blackwingcat's hacked win2k driver it's running like a champ. I played Overlord II with everything on at 2560x1600 and everything is lightning quick.

I am relatively certain that it is my graphics driver, seeing as Intel's Windows 2000 drivers are rather difficult to find now. All of the ones I've tried install, but fail run CSS and Doom 3.

This is a Windows 2000 related OpenGL BUG in Intel's drivers. look here ( http://www.geocities.com/bearwindows/win2000.htm ) for my solution of problems with Windows 2000 and Intel, ATI Radeon cards and other stuff :). Hope it helps.

Edited by bearwindows

:thumbup Great site! I am going to try and find the versions you specified that have working OpenGL libraries.

I assume I install the newest compatible version and overwrite the two OpenGL libraries with the older win2k_xp14363 versions?

Side note: Woo-hoo on the ICH8 guide! :w00t: I am using an laptop with an ICH8-M controller, and never got SATA working under it.

I am a bit confused :blink: by the first step: "Set HDD controller working mode in BIOS to SATA Native or IDE Legacy mode." Doesn't SATA Native = SATA/ACHI? I am unable to install 2000 on that mode.