Help: I have a RAID 0 error.

I booted up this morning to a blank screen and it hung after BIOS checks, but before it got to Windows. I rebooted after waiting about 5 minutes, hoping it would recover and noticed during BIOS check that raid said one of my drive had an error. I let it boot into windows in hopes it would fix it, but it didn't. I got to the desktop and IMSM said I had a RAID error as well. I rebooted to check the raid bios and it said there was an error, but no error codes of any sort. I logged back into windows and checked IMSM and it too reports the error, but again, no error codes. I run check disk and have it do a thorough check and it says I need to reboot for it to run. I runs forever, but doesn''t report any errors.

so, is there a way to find out what the error is and fix it? IMSM has an option to ignore the error, but I'm afraid to ignore it and have a crash.

It's not a big deal to just reformat and reinstall as this is just a beta test and nothing important is on this setup, but I want to find the problem so it doesn't recur.

I'm using the built-in raid of my DFI UT X58-T3eH8 (I believe it's ICH10R)

Thanks in advance

-=Mark=-

What i'd do is take your disks out of the raid setup and run a diagnostic on them individually (please do backup before you do this)

Easyest way to do this is change your Chip mode to IDE/S-ATA instead of raid. once you put the chip back on Raid it will reform your Raid setup, however due to the error you are getting im not 100% sure if that will happen.

Checking your Memory with memtest (UBCD is great for that, also for your hdd diagnostics)might also be smart.

If your disks turn out to be in great shape, then there is little more to do as fiddling with a raid can result in all data being unusable.

if you desperately want to get rid of this error (and your disks are 100% fault free) take them out of the raid, lowlvl format them, remake the raid and reinstall or put your data back on there.

Lowlvl format might be a bit extreme just rebuilding the raid might work too but better safe then sorry.

Also check if your PSU is powerfull enough for the computer you have.

edit: i just saw your specs, if thats what your current setup looks like check if your overclock is still stable, corruption can also occur cause of overclocking.

Edit2: Check your s-ata cables too! IMSM can be quite annoying if one is a little loose.

Edited by joontje86

• 2 weeks later...
What i'd do is take your disks out of the raid setup and run a diagnostic on them individually (please do backup before you do this)

Easyest way to do this is change your Chip mode to IDE/S-ATA instead of raid. once you put the chip back on Raid it will reform your Raid setup, however due to the error you are getting im not 100% sure if that will happen.

Checking your Memory with memtest (UBCD is great for that, also for your hdd diagnostics)might also be smart.

If your disks turn out to be in great shape, then there is little more to do as fiddling with a raid can result in all data being unusable.

if you desperately want to get rid of this error (and your disks are 100% fault free) take them out of the raid, lowlvl format them, remake the raid and reinstall or put your data back on there.

Lowlvl format might be a bit extreme just rebuilding the raid might work too but better safe then sorry.

Also check if your PSU is powerfull enough for the computer you have.

edit: i just saw your specs, if thats what your current setup looks like check if your overclock is still stable, corruption can also occur cause of overclocking.

Edit2: Check your s-ata cables too! IMSM can be quite annoying if one is a little loose.

Thanks for the tips, I had already did most of them except thelow-level format, and the overclock was undone a while ago as summer came early and it's just too hot in my room already so it is all back to defaults.

anyway, I just did a reinstall and all is fine for now. Maybe just an error occurred when I cut power on the lockup and messed up an import sector, or one not being used.

all is well and thanks for all the replies.

-=Mark=-

Edited by MarkJohnson

I wouldn`t do this if you run in RAID-0, there is no "really" Data on one-of-two discs.

They both stick together with that controler - you might lose all your stuff.

You didn`t say if the RAID was/is your system-partition - but after solution I think so.

First checks I do in BIOS to see if the RAID is still present and alive.

If you were able to boot and get Windows started, I guess of Hardware-Failure.

Try to image your partition (if needed) and run Low-Level-Format after that.

Re-create RAID and back-image your partition.

A fresh Re-Install is even recommended if possible.