Asus EEE PC 1000HE

Zenskas

Hello everybody, I am thinking of buying an Asus EEE PC 1000HE netbook and was wondering if anybody else has an opinion on it? I want it for wireless internet around the house, MS office 2003, watching movies, listening to music, playing older games (GBA emulation, Halo, UT 1999, far cry etc), downloading stuff and testing windows 7 out. I want something small and quiet while being cheap. Anybody know if this is a good choice? What about the MSI U100+? The MSI is similar but a little cheaper (and shorter battery life). I can get the Asus for around $650 here while the MSI is $620. I am leaning towards the Asus.

Edited by Zenskas

I've got the 1000HA as my mobile computer, and it does just about everything you're looking for. I'm running Win7 RC on it right now, and it works like a charm. I managed to get mine for $450 CAD a few months ago, and I can't really find anything wrong with it. It's not a silent computer, but I've never found the fan noise to be obtrusive either.

If you can get one within your price range, do it. Just make sure you upgrade the RAM to 2GB after you buy it. :)

I've got the 1000HA as my mobile computer, and it does just about everything you're looking for. I'm running Win7 RC on it right now, and it works like a charm. I managed to get mine for $450 CAD a few months ago, and I can't really find anything wrong with it. It's not a silent computer, but I've never found the fan noise to be obtrusive either.

If you can get one within your price range, do it. Just make sure you upgrade the RAM to 2GB after you buy it. :)

Yes I would be upgrading it to 2GB straight away. 1000HAs are around $550 cheapest price here. The 1000HA has a slightly slower CPU, no bluetooth, no wireless n, and less battery life. Is it worth the $100 to get a HE model? How loud would you say it is? I don't like noise but its OK to be a slight hum.

The difference in CPU speed isn't really much to write home about (1.6GHz vs 1.66GHz). I've been able to make do without bluetooth or Wireless-N for the time being. The improved battery life actually comes from software that's available with the HE model - not any actual hardware changes. The software simply disables any devices that aren't in use in order to save power.

As for the noise, it's a very, very slight hum. If there's anything else going on around, you won't notice the system.

The difference in CPU speed isn't really much to write home about (1.6GHz vs 1.66GHz). I've been able to make do without bluetooth or Wireless-N for the time being. The improved battery life actually comes from software that's available with the HE model - not any actual hardware changes. The software simply disables any devices that aren't in use in order to save power.

As for the noise, it's a very, very slight hum. If there's anything else going on around, you won't notice the system.

Thanks for that. In CPU tests they have only seen something like 6% performance increase but HD videos run smoother as well (I watched a Youtube video comparison of playing back a 1080P video and the HE did a fair bit better job). I probably do not need bluetooth or wireless N though. I'm fairly sure the battery is actually better in the HE model. The H model has a 6600mAh battery VS the HE 8700mAh battery plus the keyboard of the HE is a fair bit better. I am still unsure though. I may not get either of them and wait for a newer chipset to be introduced in the EEE line-up which could increase performance etc.

Edited by Zenskas