OEM key in a different language XP

fpsdf

Hello,

and thank you for reading.

Since I'm using a Asus laptop with OEM Windows, I'll use a different copy of XP to sliptream. I know that I need to copy some files from my i386 folder so that I can make it valid, using my OEM key.

My question is: can it be a different language XP? My OEM is in portuguese and the CD that I could get is in english, which I prefer. Will the common process work?

Thank you, cheers.

fpsdf, where did you get your copy of Windows? Is it legal with a legal key? If so, use that. If not, please read the Forum rules at the top. This is not a warez site and will not help you use an illegal copy of Windows. Enjoy, John.

Is it legal with a legal key? If so, use that.
From what you ask, I think the proper questions in this order are:
  • Does the COA sticker tie to language AND type (ex. English XP Pro)
  • If not, then are you using the right CD type for your COA sticker? XP Home CD if your COA sticker is for XP Home - XP Pro CD if your COA sticker is for XP Pro
  • If all three are check, I would checkout the OEMSCAN project found on these forums!

fpsdf, where did you get your copy of Windows? Is it legal with a legal key? If so, use that. If not, please read the Forum rules at the top. This is not a warez site and will not help you use an illegal copy of Windows. Enjoy, John.

thank you.

Well, it is legal but already in use on other computer...

What I'm intending to do is to use the key from my legal OEM installation. So, no systems will be replicated (I hope I'm not making any illegal thing without knowing).

[/witchhunt]

I dont think he was requesting warez. he just needs to know about the different license types.

to the OP:

OEM keys require OEM media and cannot be used on alternate license types.

There are three main types of Windows XP licenses: Retail, Volume (VLK), and Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). All three types of licenses are available for Windows XP Professional (32-bit and 64-bit). Windows XP Home Edition is limited to Retail and OEM licenses whereas Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition are exclusively available through VLK and OEM licenses.

Each type of license has a different installation CD. For customized or retail media, there is a small difference on each type of disc that will allow that installation disc to accept only one type of product key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Li...and_media_types

Is it legal with a legal key? If so, use that.
From what you ask, I think the proper questions in this order are:
  • Does the COA sticker tie to language AND type (ex. English XP Pro)
  • If not, then are you using the right CD type for your COA sticker? XP Home CD if your COA sticker is for XP Home - XP Pro CD if your COA sticker is for XP Pro
  • If all three are check, I would checkout the OEMSCAN project found on these forums!

Thank you.

To make things even worse, because of some shipping problems with the Asus distributor here in Portugal, my computer came with a WinXP Home Simple Chinese sticker, although the system came in Portuguese. And now I don't know how to be sure that the system key matches this Chinese sticker...

I got a retail Home version...

so maybe i should get an OEM Home version to match my system native one. Is that it?

And again, can they be in different languages? Like using a native portuguese windows key in a slipstreamed english windows?

Thank you so much

Ok, to make things clear:

I own an Asus laptop with a portuguese OEM Windows XP Home system.

What I intend to do is to make a slipstream of Windows to get rid of an amount of things i don't need. Also, that it could be in english.

Since it is impossible to slipstream from the recovery partition, I need to get one other copy of Windows and use my native system key.

So what do I need? An OEM Windows XP Home copy, right? Can it be in a different language from my native system, once I'm using the native key?

thank you

Edited by fpsdf