Strange behaviour after shuffling DIMM sticks

simurqq

Well, as I posted in Vista forums before, I have a problem with my RAM showing only 4 of 6Gb (3x2Gb) under Vista x64 SP2.

Quite recently trying to shuffle the RAM sticks to identify the (hardware) cause of the problem (software tests incl. CPU-Z show all 3 slots ok & functioning - see screenshots in the above post), I encountered a strange problem. Now whenever I power up the rig it starts spinning but I cannot get a signal on the monitor - it immediately goes to sleep... No POST screen, no boot page - nothing, only the "sleeping" monitor.

I tried to re-fix all cable connections (although didn't touch anything except unplugging the RAM sticks) but to no avail. The computer is quite new (12 days old), all parts are new and pre-tested. I've been even working on it during the past 12 days. All troubles happened immediately at the first boot after shuffling the RAM sticks.

I noticed one difference though... When the rig starts the HDD indicator doesn't light up. The same is true for HDD LED on the mobo. As if the harddisk isn't working... I will be very grateful for your help.

My specs:

Thermaltake Mid-tower VI1000BWS

ASUS Rampage II Gene

Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz

eVGA nVidia GTX285

OCZ 6Gb (3x2Gb) RAM 1600MHz (OCZ3G1600LV6GK)

Western Digital Caviar Green (GP) 1TB 32Mb-cache (WD10EADS)

OCZ700MXSP 700W PSU

Thank you!

Edited by simurqq

Your motherboard (RAM sockets) could be toast, since it happens when you shuffle RAM around. Time to RMA?

ps. Don't rely on tools like CPU-Z too much, they're known to show incorrect/false results on occasion.

The first possible explanation is a bad contact between the Ram and their sockets on the mobo.

Use a brush to remove dust from both, and an eraser (a rubber) to clean the contacts at the Ram.

Then, you may try to power up the computer without any ram and observe what the Leds and beeper say about the boot process - find the codes according to your mobo's Bios.

Can you test each Ram module on an other Mobo with Memtest86+ ?