Nlite for Business/Govt/Commercial use?

iceflier

Hi all,

I am currently using Nlite to build a few PCs with at home. I want to be able to slipstream all the drivers for the PC on my desk and create a comprehensive image of it as I have a huge amount of applications and gaming data on it that i dont want to have to re install all the time.

But as I also work in SOE area in my work place was wonderng when/if/how it could ever be used commerically? Why is it not licensed for such? Does anyone know if the people who coded this great piece of software are ever intending to put it out there? The reason for my asking is that I have a CIO who is refusing (due to financial constraints) to purchase any other soe deployment software and I could really use this in my work place to build an SOE base image CD with.

While I am here can someone please point me to a comprehensive guide for Nlite? I am finding stuff piecemeal all over the forums but nothing definitive. It's really difficult when my knowledge is limited in the subject area.

I have also discovered Powerpacker and am finding very little in the way of instructions for its use, the website is incomplete and was also wondering if anyone has a guide for its use as well please?

One problem I have encountered is the plugin.ocx missing error after I have created a slipstreamed CD/DVD with Nlite. I pressed ESC and the OS appeared to install ok. Except what I have noticed is that much of the tweaking done with Nlite has not worked. Upon doing a search to see who else has had the same problem I encountered a few entries but none of the solutions make sense to me.

I'm beginning to guess I'm in over my head and floundering. About to give up on Nlite and do a manual build and use Acronis to make an image for safekeeping.

If anyone can assist I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

nLite will never be for commercial use. (If it ever gets an update)

There has been several discussions on this in the past. IF nuhi was to release it with a open license for comercial use he would open himself to all sorts of lawsuits and trouble. MAIN issue = nLite breaks the hell out of MS'es EULA thus violating your companies terms of service.

Other issues:

A jackass (Not you appearently since you were smart enough to open this discussion) nLite's a installation, then deploys it over a thousand stations. 1 component is missing, and the whole company losses thousands of dollars (maybe more). Who gets it in the a** in the end? Not just the a-hole who mixed the insallation but nuhi for providing the tool.

By releasing it commercially nuhi would have to provide ACTUALL support, not just a section in an excellent forum.

MS would sue nuhi's great-great-great grandchildren...

Plugin.ocx issue = is NOT really an issue with nLite. That file in question was made obsolete by SP3 (Corporate issue) somehow it is not getting properly removed from txtsetup.sif. SOLUTION? open txtsetup,sif and dosnet.inf with a text editor and manually removed the single line in each file then save.

Powerpacker = Got me. It is supposed to be a good tool but there is far, far, far less documentation on it that nLite.

A guide for nLite? What do you want to know? Most of it is fairly self explanatory. the rest can be figured by searching...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

First, the developer has left the building and the decisions on those matter are his only. Hopefully he'll one day to find more time to pass by and greet his fellow users.

Here is a thread on same subject.

As for help, people usually don't spend hours explaining about the program but rather like to answer questions that adress precise problems. Keeping in mind that nLite is for so called "advanced users", and that the basics should be rather strightforward to them advanced users. I hate sounding pedantic. :D

iceflier, here is a 'lite' paid SW. I know nothing about it, but perhaps it has some useful functions and is fairly cheap, but not free. As far as your problems, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

iceflier, here is a 'lite' paid SW. I know nothing about it, but perhaps it has some useful functions and is fairly cheap, but not free.

FYI, XPlite works with a different approach from nlite.

Basically you install a FULL system, and later remove what you don't want:

http://www.litepc.com/xplite_manual/

http://www.litepc.com/xplite_manual/index....?quickstart.htm

@iceflier

Read this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=11946

and this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=124220

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I now 'get it' with regard to the licensing issue... makes a lot of sense. I'm doing out of the box installs at work - I'm really over Ghost - wont work with sata drives well anyway. Management are promising a RIS/WDS solution (I would prefer the solution that www.soesoft.com.au & its RDMC program has as my solution but they wont wear the cost) so I'm left with a stressfull rollout the hard way sadly - crappy career I know.

I will have another go at it all this weekend at home to see what I can come up with... I am using a windows xp SP2 cd for my build so maybe if I used sp3? that would fix one aspect of my problem.

Thanks for all the web links I will get back to reading them and will definitely post back if i find a solution.

Thanks,

I'm always amazed by Jaclaz's posts, there is something mysterious about how he manages all those links. Anyway, 3 is the magic number as he probably meant this one:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=119463

Malicious board member FAQ:

Q:How can you tell if other people actually clicked on a given link?

A:You post a wrong one and see if any protest arises! ;)

Sorry :blushing:, clearly I made a 1 too short character copy before pasting.

:hello:

jaclaz