driver question

rfwdwork

I am currently running windows xp pro. I am using a Ge Force 6200 video card, with 256mgs of ram. I would like to switch to vista, so I ran vista upgrade advisor. It told me I need to update some drivers, the question I have is, do I need to update the Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/Promedia. In device manager next to the video accelerator it has a yellow circle with a ! in the center. Do I need that driver. There is a error code 10, this device cannot start. I hope that this is in the right forum, if not I am sorry. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

I would like to switch to vista, so I ran vista upgrade advisor.

Looking at your posts, it seems like you have a 1GHz T-Bird Athlon (Socket A, circa 2000), on a board with a VT8361/8601 chip (so likely an old VIA KT133A chipset or very similar from the same era), old PC133 RAM, PATA/IDE drive, and now a GeForce 6200 (AGP).

Personally, on those specs, I most definitely wouldn't be upgrading to anything beyond XP, regardless of what the upgrade advisor might say. Your WEI score would likely be 1.x (CPU almost certainly in the 1.x range, vid card around 2.x, hard drive and memory probably 3.x) Sounds like you're long overdue for an upgrade. You can get something that will literally run circles around that (and run Vista/Win7 great, including the x64 versions) and has tons of new useful stuff (USB2, SATA, eSATA, FireWire, multichannel HD audio, SPDIF/DVI/HDMI outs, hardware H.264 decoding, etc) for around $150 e.g. Athlon64 X2 (dual core, more features and instruction sets), good 780G mobo and 2x2GB of DDR2.

I am currently running windows xp pro. I am using a Ge Force 6200 video card, with 256mgs of ram. I would like to switch to vista, so I ran vista upgrade advisor. It told me I need to update some drivers, the question I have is, do I need to update the Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/Promedia. In device manager next to the video accelerator it has a yellow circle with a ! in the center. Do I need that driver. There is a error code 10, this device cannot start. I hope that this is in the right forum, if not I am sorry. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Sounds like you have an onboard video card that you're not using. Right click on it and then click disable. Since you're using your nvidia card, there is no need to have the drivers for the other one installed or even have it enabled. A neat thing that you can do with it though is set up dual monitors. Get the driver for it installed and you can set up to have side by side monitors. Comes in pretty handy for multi-tasking.

As far as upgrading to Vista, if you don't have at least 2gigs of ram and a 2GHz processor, I would not recommend it. XP is a great OS and there is really no reason to upgrade unless you buy a new computer that comes with Vista.

Thanks for your input and I will do some more research and possibly try to upgrade my computer.

One more question, admtek 9511 Ethernet adapter driver for vista, I found it on some page but when I clicked on download it wanted me to download a program like driver detective. Does any one know where I might know where to look so I can just download the driver itself without downloading some driver program? Any help would be appreciated, thank for the help.

Edited by rfwdwork

I get all my drivers nowadays for specific devices from DriverPacks.net. I have them all saved onto my workstation, then if I need to find a specific file, I search the whole folder for the Hardware ID of the device. They have Vista packs now, but you'll need to go into their forums, I don't think they have it on the front page yet.