Poll: What UAC Level do you use?

DigeratiPrime

What UAC Level do you use?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What UAC Level do you use?

• Always notify me and dim my desktop until I respond
    • Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
    • Turn off UAC

UAC can die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die... did I mention I really hate UAC?

The Win7 UAC settings don't get in your way that much. The only time I seem to encounter it is when I install something new. I might see the popup like twice a week or so.

Can't be bothered with running an antivirus as they're only useful to make your PC slow (been many years since I caught one last), anti-malware apps which never find anything and all that other junk.

I leave UAC on but these days ther are only 2 things it does that p***es me off:

the first 2 are just minor annoyances but the last one is a PITA

• blanks both monitors to display a "continue" Prompt
    • I goto a webpage, find an installer and 'open' it
    • its taking a while so i begin to chat/work/play with something on the other monitor
    • "BoomP!" Hope you werent doing anything important over there on monitor 2 because if you are you cant see it or control it until you move the mouse back to monitor 1 to click 'Continue'

[*]occasionally makes my audio skip when it has to play the "BoomP!" sound

[*]but the worst thing about it is because of THAT F***ING JAVA UPDATER!

unless you completely disable it, the java updater chooses to notify you that there is an update without any user interaction.

• Vista machine with JAVA installed thats at least .00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.00.001th of a version behind the version they released last hour (or has a different bundled toolbar than the one you installed yesterday)
    • logged in user is power user
    • user opens a window (any window but usually IE) -doesnt matter what it is as long as its big enough to cover the UAC prompt
    • java decides to do a background check for updates
    • an update is found and java downloads the installer, runs it and "BoomP!" UAC pops up under the window in the foregound (i think it has something to do with it running from the tray)
    • now the user can continue to browse and never see the uac prompt but its down there flashing "Verifying JAVA-blahblah.exe" in the taskbar
    • at this point the user cannot click start, use windows global shorcut keys (Win+E, Win+D, etc) until the click the "Verifying JAVA-blahblah.exe" and then click cancel (because they have no admin password)
    • 5-10 minutes later take a wild guess what the java updater does...

blanks both monitors to display a "continue" Prompt
In gpedit, Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options - User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation (disable).
occasionally makes my audio skip when it has to play the "BoomP!" sound
Sometimes this is caused by the switchover to the secure desktop - if the above doesn't fix it, you may have to work on getting an audio driver that doesn't have the delay. I had a machine with Realtek onboard audio that would do the same thing until I changed the prompt off the secure desktop as above, and the problem went away, so it's worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Off, i use other OLD system integrity control app that gives me much more power than UAC, anyway i have never been infected by a virus, that only happens to idiotic users that are careless or ignorant. and some people that just dosn't takes enought care sometimes.

oh well my OCD makes me not miss anything what happens on my PC so meh... >_>

i turn it off...grant it by itself that option is rather insecure i use comodo firewall with D+ so i just make custom policies for all my trusted programs, load them, and everything else is stopped by the firewall until i pass it. i like comodo's interface better then the windows counterpart.

UAC is the bane of my existence. I keep it turned off on my own machines, and I wish MS had never created the damned thing to begin with.

Until I moved to another state earlier this year (and didn't give out my new phone number), I was constantly getting calls from several of my clients, always the same handful of morons, asking me if they should allow or deny.

And every time this happened, I would always find out they initiated it by running a program. Makes me wish it was legal to strangle people. Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to use computers.

The concept of UAC is a good one, but the practice is horrible.

For those of us who know how to harden our systems and what not to do online, it's just a major annoyance. I've been using MS operating systems since Dos 3.2, so I don't need MS to hold my hand. Not back then, and certainly not now.

For people who aren't so knowledgeable or computer literate, UAC simply scares the hell out of many of them and they end up asking someone to disable it anyway.

I'm in the Turn off UAC crowd .... it's just too annoying, and I was the same with Vista.

Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways, but if I open a control panel applet, I don't want to asked if I really want to do it .... I mean, ffs, that's why I clicked the icon!

Edited by woody.cool