Are unsecured Wireless Networks Safe?

DreamSkape

Hi,

Using a WLAN 8.something, I found some networks wherein one was an unsecured one. Out of curiosity, I clicked on connect and it connected me to the network, whereby i was able to access the internet. Using that network means paying nothing to anyone. However, I was wondering why would any network be unsecured and why will it be open to everyone? Is it any kind of trap to trace my computer activities? The network name is Broadcom and it appears alongwith UTStarcom (secured, login required) in my wireless connections.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanking you,

--

Best Regards,

Arun Kumar M.

Signed: Sunday, June 14, 2009, 9:58:56 AM IST

that's paranoia, 802.11x wireless (or Wifi as its commonly known) does not have a great range. Chances are you have a neighbour who doesn't understand how to configure their router to be secure.

Edited by possy_99

Chances are you have a neighbour who doesn't understand how to configure their router to be secure.

This means that I am able to connect because one of my neighbor could not configure his connection properly. However, as I was able to connect to it without using my wireless stick or the wired DSL, is it possible that I subscribe to it and use it from anywhere?

I mean can it also be used for roaming purpose, without having to carry that pathetic TATA (Epivalley's) USB MODEM?

Please let me know asap as I am considering selling off this Epivalley's wireless modem to buy another ISP's data card for roaming purpose.

Thanking you,

--

Best Regards,

Arun Kumar M.

Signed: Sunday, June 14, 2009, 4:35:56 PM IST

Is it any kind of trap to trace my computer activities?
Not likely. Some people who buy wireless routers don't secure their routers, so anyone can access it. However, it's not a good idea to send sensitive data over a unsecured wireless router... (Interesting link)
The network name is Broadcom and it appears alongwith UTStarcom (secured, login required) in my wireless connections.
These are the broadcast names of the routers. The broadcast names exist so that people can tell them apart.
This means that I am able to connect because one of my neighbor could not configure his connection properly.
No, it means that you can connect to the wireless router because the router isn't configured to be secure. That person's router is configured properly for him/her to access the internet, but just not in a secure manner.
However, as I was able to connect to it without using my wireless stick or the wired DSL, is it possible that I subscribe to it and use it from anywhere?
If your computer has built-in WiFi, then you can access any unsecured WiFi router in range of your computer. You can also access any secured router as long as you know the passcode.
I mean can it also be used for roaming purpose, without having to carry that pathetic TATA (Epivalley's) USB MODEM?
Yes and no. See above answer.

well, if it's 802.11b/g/n then no, it's no good for roaming as it will have a very limited range.

I don't see how you were able to connect to it without using some kind of wireless networking adaptor, to connect to wireless networks you need a wireless reciever..

I'm not sure if there is a misunderstanding or technology is different in your country, but data cards generally run of mobile/celular networks so if you are on the move then this by far beats WLAN 802.11b/g/n range

As long as you are not bothered about them being able to sniff your packets.

Passwords to most login's (hotmail, gmail etc...) are sent across the network in plaintext.

So if you just want to check a quick fact on google, then use thier network, if you want to log into your bank, then I suggest using your own network!

• 4 weeks later...

When you join a network, your computer is assigned an internal private ip address, such as 192.168.0.5. All it takes is someone else on that network (could be the owner of the network or any other troglodyte who has also gained access to the unsecured network) to enter your IP in their Run dialogue box in the form of a UNC Command and they can browse through your computer, on the provision that you have not locked it down which I'm guessing you haven't.

And no, 101 anti-hacker and antivirus utilities will NOT protect you against this kind of thing. Have fun broadcasting the contents of your hard drive to the world.