Administrator password problem with nLite

bizzybody

I'm putting together a PC just for the game "Portal". Got everything stripped to the bare minimum required to play the game, which works quite well.

I used nLite to pre-set the Administrator password to 999valveportal but that password doesn't work to login as Administrator, which I have to do to move the swap file to its own drive and edit the Registry to lock everything down so people playing Portal won't be able to screw things up.

I just checked the settings for the session of nLite when I created this special XP version and that is exactly the password shown in nLite.

Something to check: Does the following exist in WinNT.sif after using nLite?

[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword="No"
AdminPassword=999valveportal

Edited by 5eraph

bizzybody, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

I don't have the lastsession.ini from when I made this CD, but I do have the winnt.sif

I made this quite a while ago, just now got around to doing the install. Easiest thing I can do right now is boot it with ERD Commander 2005 and break in with Locksmith.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the password being 14 characters?

Have you typed the password in the 1st box to rule out keyboard config issue ?

There's just the password box when I click the Administrator icon, it's using the fancy Welcome screen, not the old style logon screen.

; Generated by nLite 1.4.9.1

[Data]

AutomaticUpdates="No"

Autopartition=0

MsDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=DefaultHide

UnattendSwitch="Yes"

OemPreinstall="Yes"

OemSkipEula="Yes"

FileSystem=*

WaitForReboot="No"

NoWaitAfterTextMode=1

NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

Hibernation="No"

[Display]

Xresolution=800

Yresolution=600

BitsPerPel=32

[GuiUnattended]

EncryptedAdminPassword="No"

AutoLogon="Yes"

AdminPassword="999valveportal"

TimeZone=010

OEMSkipRegional=1

OemSkipWelcome=1

[Components]

[userData]

ProductKey="K8X93-8V8YF-*****-*****-*****"

ComputerName=ENRICHMENT

FullName="Simulation Unit"

OrgName="Aperture Laboratiries"

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

Language= "0409"

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents="Yes"

[WindowsFirewall]

Profiles=WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]

Mode=0

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup="APLABS"

There's just the password box when I click the Administrator icon, it's using the fancy Welcome screen, not the old style logon screen.

Welcome screen does not revert to default keyboard config (it stays in the previous user's config). CtrlAltDel twice should bring the classic logon screen and the possibility to see what you actually type.

bizzybody, your _U.INI contains your key and password. Please remove the attachment ASAP and remove your secret data. One problem I saw on quick inspection is placing DirectX in the hot fix section. This will not work. I will look some more and update this post if I see other things. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I don't see anything obvious. If removing DirectX does not help, then may be time to drop some stuff and trial and error you way to a solution. Perhaps some one else will have an idea. BTW, XP x64 has a latter version of DirectX and I assume XP does also. Oh, are you using a VLK (Volume Incense Key) CD of XP - see MS KB95077?

Edited by johnhc