Slipstreaming newest Acrobat updates

chaoticyeshua

I have an admin install point for Acrobat Professional 7, 8, and 9. I've been slipstreaming updates as they are released, so the versions are: 7.1.2, 8.1.5, and 9.1.1. Updates were released the other day, however, I am unable to slipstream them. I renamed the patches, for ease, to Acro713, Acro816, and Acro911, moved them to their respective admin install point folder, opened a command prompt in that folder, and have tried these commands:

msiexec /p Acro713.msp /a AcroPro.msi /qb

msiexec /a AcroPro.msi /p Acro713.msp /qb <-- I know Adobe has forced you to do these in reverse before so I tried it - still no dice.

I also tried giving the full path to both files.

Every single time, for all three versions, I get the same error message when trying to slipstream, but they apply to an installed version just fine. What am I doing wrong here?

Error message:

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

Same thing happened to me with the Reader, the solution for me was to create a .bat or .cmd file with the command and then it worked

msiexec /a NameOfMsi.msi /p NameOfMsp.msp /qb

Edited by ricktendo64

• 3 weeks later...

Solution is at adobe kb

Adobe Acrobat and Reader Updating and Deployment Information

Page created 2009-06-25.

In regards to 8.1.6, this problem is discussed on adobe forums at

Acrobat 8.1.6 Patch Issues

thats where I found the link to be kb page.

The kb page gives an explanation, and solutions for acrobat 9 and 8 and 7, professional and reader. The solution is different depending on whether you are willing to create a new admin install point, or deploy updates to user systems. Both are discussed on that page.

Briefly:

For admin install point, start fresh, use correct sequence, which skips over "security" patches and only uses "quarterly" (cumulative) patches. For Acrobat 8, for example, use 8.0.0 > 8.1.0 > 8.1.1 > 8.1.2 > 8.1.3 > 8.1.6.

For deploy to user system:

Workaround for User installations, which were deployed from an AIP containing a Security update as the last update applied

In order to successfully deploy a Quarterly update onto these User systems, the Msiexec.exe "v" option must be added to the commandline. An example syntax is as follows:

msiexec /i <path of msi on AIP> REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

Using the above command line with the option "vomus" present will cause the MSI to run from the source AIP and re-cache the User's local MSI for future changes or repair. This is the most trustworthy method for deploying updates of this nature.

You can download all the patches at

Downloads - Acrobat for Windows

gzr

Completely new to the whole slipstreamming process so Adobe might not have been the best one to start with. I have an AIP of 7.0 and a cd copy also on the network. The initial AIP worked fine installing 7.0, and now I'm trying to update it to 7.1.3. I was reading the requirements for 7.1.3 and it said that the earliest it will update is 7.1.0, so I downloaded that. I noticed that the extension for this update was exe and the 7.1.3 was msp, so I'm figuring that that is why I can't slipstream 7.1.0 into 7.0. Where on Adobe's site can I find a slipstreammable(?) version of 7.1 so I can update? All I can find is the 7.1 cumulative exe.

I managed to get all the updates slipstreamed. I recreated my AIP and only slipstreamed the updates that were absolutely necessary as gzr stated (although I figured it out before his post and meant to post the solution here, but forgot - thank you so much anyway).

9.1 -> 9.1.2

8.1 -> 8.1.1 -> 8.1.2 -> 8.1.3 -> 8.1.6

7.1 -> 7.1.3

Where on Adobe's site can I find a slipstreammable(?) version of 7.1 so I can update? All I can find is the 7.1 cumulative exe.

Download the 7.1 exe and extract it using WinRAR or 7-Zip. That will get you the msp file that you need to slipstream. Alternatively, just open it and it will automatically extract it to your temp folder. Extracting it manually is much easier though.

Edited by chaoticyeshua

The second option, run the installer and copy the file from the temp folder is what I did, but I had to go about it a little differently. The machine that I was running the install from had 4G of RAM and I couldn't see the filename of the .msp because the installer went through it too fast. Once I ran the installer from a 512 machine it was slow enough for me to see the filename to run a search on the temp folder.

Edit: very interesting turn of events; I was successful in slipstreaming all the way to 7.1.3, and the single install from the AIP was successful, but as soon as it would reboot the computers in the OU, the install would fail for all of them. When looking at the log files, it would say "installation point could not be found", but the correct UNC path was there. I then ran the AIP manually on one of the failed laptops and it asked me to continue the install of 7.1.3. I hit cancel and rebooted the machine. The install was successful. So i figured it just takesa a few reboots for it to install, so I rebooted the other 3. The install failed again, but this time I had a network folder open doing some other things, and I suddenly lost network connectivity. Putting a few things together, my laptop and the 4 new ones all are on the same hub. When the installer is running from the GPO, I loose network connectivity for some reason and the installation fails on all machines connected through this hub. However, if I reboot only one machine and have the GPO install it, the installer works fine but I still lose network connectivity. Why does it drop? I'm thinking the hub just isn't beefy enough to handle what I'm doing to it.

I was able to install it successfully on all 4 laptops on the same hub, but I just needed to stagger the reboots.

Edited by cseiter